Driver Agencies

I’ve been using Driver Hire for the last two months. As I’ve been self employed for 10 years I like the idea of job flexibility and (as a new driver, the variety of work types they’ve punted in my direction).
So, I’m not particularly ■■■■■■ off with the fact that the majority of the work has been C1 or sprinter driving. At least all the handball is giving me some exercise. It’s all good experience.
I think it’s about time I started using a tacho regularly but I’m not sure how to approach the agency.
I’m not expecting any class 1 work after a month but should I expect them to be offering me class 2 regularly? Is it an insurance thing, do they consider me a liability or don’t they have the work?
Should I ditch them and find another agency?

I passed my class 2 in July and class 1 in October. I’m based in Doncaster but do commute up to 30 miles depending where they send me. I seem to get about £9.50/hr irrespective of what I drive.

Anyone offer any constructive advice? (or work :wink:

To be blunt, the agency have you down as a wet ■■■■■ who’ll do whatever they ask/instruct! :open_mouth:
So if you’re open to Sprinter VAN work, that’s what they’ll give you…

Sign up with as many blood sucking scumbags as you can mate and place yourself in a better position of power.
Stick with a regular income from your current leech, but say to the new blood suckers that you’re only interested in real HGV work!

I bit the bullet and signed a few agencies .driver hire are the worst .i have had them remove me,they try to really grind you down with crap money and poor job offers .Everything they offered me was vans .yeah right .been there done that
Sack em off pal .

You need to ask the agency if they can put some cat C work your way :bulb:

Approaching them is easy, you just phone them or go and see them and say “any chance of some cat C work ?”, it really is that simple :wink:

As long as they think you’re happy with what they’re giving you they’ll keep on giving it to you.

Sent you a PM mate regarding agency work in Doncaster and Immingham. Not sure on their experience requirements but worth a phonecall.

Evil8Beezle:
To be blunt, the agency have you down as a wet ■■■■■ who’ll do whatever they ask/instruct! :open_mouth:
So if you’re open to Sprinter VAN work, that’s what they’ll give you…

Sign up with as many blood sucking scumbags as you can mate and place yourself in a better position of power.
Stick with a regular income from your current leech, but say to the new blood suckers that you’re only interested in real HGV work!

I had this problem recently too. Only had class one since April and signed up to an agency to get some experience before heading out and going full time, always got offered van or 7.5t.

Luckily I’m still full time elsewhere so I put it to them straight, told them I’m here for experience more than cash. Told them I can only really accept class one and two, honestly I probably worded it wrong and the work did die down a little.

All I have done since then is class two/one work, I signed up with three different agencies now so I can pick and chose what I do each week. And because they know I won’t take ■■■■ jobs they offer those out to others before coming to me with the bigger vehicles.

Lots of companies will turn you down through the agency on insurance or simply just not trusting you, but there will be jobs that take you (usually the hard up ones). Last weekend I was in class one and I’m doing the same this Saturday for a different company in the middle of London (such fun).

Once the agencies put you in a few they will use you more and more for the big trucks. It’s their reputation on the line too. You just have to be confident and stop being the fall guy for the ■■■■ jobs the older guys always turn down.

Taken onboard. Many thanks, all.

You’re getting £9.50 / hour for driving a Sprinter and you’re complaining!? :slight_smile:

As had been said on here many times, drive the smallest vehicle for the most money is the best policy. 14 hours of Sprinter vs 26T driving through towns and cities during the rush hour or in the serious recent rain, I know which I’d vote for. Btw, you can get tacho time on your 7.5T machine and I guess you could input the Sprinter stuff as “other work” if you really wanted to.

I found they generally keep you going with constant work

The pay is poor though