A303 stone henge to be tunnelled

Sky news saying the government has given the go ahead for the a303 to be tunneled around stone henge to speed up journey times as too many people slow down to look . Dont know how to add link

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-38589118

news.sky.com/story/stonehenge-a3 … d-10725633

spirefm.co.uk/news/local-new … el-scheme/

Another thread and did it again! :laughing:

chester1:
Sky news saying the government has given the go ahead for the a303 to be tunneled around stone henge to speed up journey times as too many people slow down to look . Dont know how to add link

Yes people slow down but also what doesn’t help is the fact that when heading West it goes from a DC to a SC just before Stonehenge so a natural bottleneck.

The former A344 road is now blocked off from mainstream traffic (The road you used to turn right into, as you headed west along the A303 and saw Stonehenge on your right…)
There is no turning off the A303 into the A344 at all now. It’s all grassed over.
This now “broken” road is now “Private” with only the Tourist Trap coaches running down the stretch, that has to be approached from the far side roundabout on the A360.

I believe the hillock between the Stonehenge itself and the A303 has been built up a bit as well, so that you now cannot see Stonehenge as you pass on the A303 from a car’s height at least.

I’m dismayed that every attempt has been made to close Stonehenge off to the general public, and turn it into a privately-owned Tourist Trap in a similar manner to what has happened to the Valley of the Kings (and Queens) in Egypt.

The tunnel being built will, of course, - obscure entirely any remaining view of the entire Stonehenge site from the main road.

If it were for reasons of “Traffic Safety” - then why didn’t they just move the entire road over a hundred yards or so, like they did to the A2 at Singlewell, Kent a few years back?

Why close the A344 if it were not to stop people driving past there for a free look as well? Nice little rat run that was back in it’s day…

It’s a conspiracy I say!

bald bloke:

chester1:

Yes people slow down but also what doesn’t help is the fact that when heading West it goes from a DC to a SC just before Stonehenge so a natural bottleneck.

Cheaper way would be to tree line the road. Would be nice if they could maintain the roads we have before building new tracks

Plenty of stone nearby to recycle…
Stonehenge one of the most overrated attractions in the UK along with Blackgang Chine and Madame Tussauds.

They told us that back in the 60s…looks like they have been given a green light. :smiley: :smiley:

Winseer:
The former A344 road is now blocked off from mainstream traffic (The road you used to turn right into, as you headed west along the A303 and saw Stonehenge on your right…)
There is no turning off the A303 into the A344 at all now. It’s all grassed over.
This now “broken” road is now “Private” with only the Tourist Trap coaches running down the stretch, that has to be approached from the far side roundabout on the A360.

I believe the hillock between the Stonehenge itself and the A303 has been built up a bit as well, so that you now cannot see Stonehenge as you pass on the A303 from a car’s height at least.

I’m dismayed that every attempt has been made to close Stonehenge off to the general public, and turn it into a privately-owned Tourist Trap in a similar manner to what has happened to the Valley of the Kings (and Queens) in Egypt.

Stone henge can be seen perfectly from a car often see people taking pics from cars even while driving
The tunnel being built will, of course, - obscure entirely any remaining view of the entire Stonehenge site from the main road.

If it were for reasons of “Traffic Safety” - then why didn’t they just move the entire road over a hundred yards or so, like they did to the A2 at Singlewell, Kent a few years back?

Why close the A344 if it were not to stop people driving past there for a free look as well? Nice little rat run that was back in it’s day…

That rat didn’t save much you just had to go another mile and turn right at the roundabout. Aparantly the proper permission wasn’t sought to shut that road off and was talk of re enstating it . Stone henge can be seen perfectly in a car often see people taking photos even while driving

How on earth did they get planning permission to build that next to the A303 anyway?

bestbooties:
How on earth did they get planning permission to build that next to the A303 anyway?

Kevin McCloud wants to know when the fair trade self licking windows are going to be installed.

Muckaway:
Stonehenge one of the most overrated attractions in the UK along with Blackgang Chine and Madame Tussauds.

youtube.com/watch?v=nJwmr99MM4M

AndrewG:

Muckaway:

Tell that Paddy to drop a bucket tooth down behind that rock, it’ll break faster.

bestbooties:

:laughing:

Bit like why did the Queen build Windsor Castle so near Heathrow. :laughing:

nick2008:

bald bloke:

chester1:

Cheaper way would be to tree line the road. Would be nice if they could maintain the roads we have before building new tracks

I’m sure I’ve seen in the past, the reason for a tunnel isn’t just picture takers, but they’ve always had protests about the visual impact of a modern road going through the area.

Can only be a good thing IMO, Boris and Doris struggle to maintain a set speed when they are looking out of the big window, throw a view in out of the side window and carnage ensues. I prefer passing it in the dark when the poor lambs don’t feel the need to slow to walking pace as there’s ■■■■ all to see.

It’s a stupid idea, the place is the old magic epicentre of the UK. Buggering about with laylines and the conduits to the spiritual realm will cause real problems.

The Druids are gonna go mental.
Not to mention any returning aliens who use the A303 as a guide point to the rock landing platform.

Bloody nutters… leave it alone.

Muckaway:

AndrewG:

Muckaway:

Tell that Paddy to drop a bucket tooth down behind that rock, it’ll break faster.

:grimacing:

muckles:

bestbooties:

:laughing:

Bit like why did the Queen build Windsor Castle so near Heathrow. :laughing:[i think you will find that the queen god bless er an all that had absolutely nothing to do with it, be cause if my memory serves me right the castle was built in the 11th century]