A303 stone henge to be tunnelled

chester1:

Winseer:
The former A344 road is now blocked off from mainstream traffic (The road you used to turn right into, as you headed west along the A303 and saw Stonehenge on your right…)
There is no turning off the A303 into the A344 at all now. It’s all grassed over.
This now “broken” road is now “Private” with only the Tourist Trap coaches running down the stretch, that has to be approached from the far side roundabout on the A360.

I believe the hillock between the Stonehenge itself and the A303 has been built up a bit as well, so that you now cannot see Stonehenge as you pass on the A303 from a car’s height at least.

I’m dismayed that every attempt has been made to close Stonehenge off to the general public, and turn it into a privately-owned Tourist Trap in a similar manner to what has happened to the Valley of the Kings (and Queens) in Egypt.

Stone henge can be seen perfectly from a car often see people taking pics from cars even while driving
The tunnel being built will, of course, - obscure entirely any remaining view of the entire Stonehenge site from the main road.

If it were for reasons of “Traffic Safety” - then why didn’t they just move the entire road over a hundred yards or so, like they did to the A2 at Singlewell, Kent a few years back?

Why close the A344 if it were not to stop people driving past there for a free look as well? Nice little rat run that was back in it’s day…

That rat didn’t save much you just had to go another mile and turn right at the roundabout. Aparantly the proper permission wasn’t sought to shut that road off and was talk of re enstating it . Stone henge can be seen perfectly in a car often see people taking photos even while driving

Or simply stopping in the live lane, getting out and photographing it :open_mouth:

If they had any sense the planners would continue the dual westbound and join it up to the next bit before Wylie and bypass that village in the dip.

If it goes ahead it’s a long time coming,should have been done years ago,i like many others on here over the years have no doubt been sick of the delays caused by traffic because of single lanes either way,the sooner it’s done the better as far as I’m concerned

malcolmgbell:
Bit like why did the Queen build Windsor Castle so near Heathrow.

She didn’t actually build it herself and there was nowhere near as many planes then…and I thought I was thick :unamused:

blogistan.co.uk/blog/mt.php/ … hat-tunnel

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Winseer:
The former A344 road is now blocked off from mainstream traffic (The road you used to turn right into, as you headed west along the A303 and saw Stonehenge on your right…)
There is no turning off the A303 into the A344 at all now. It’s all grassed over.
This now “broken” road is now “Private” with only the Tourist Trap coaches running down the stretch, that has to be approached from the far side roundabout on the A360.

I believe the hillock between the Stonehenge itself and the A303 has been built up a bit as well, so that you now cannot see Stonehenge as you pass on the A303 from a car’s height at least.

I’ve noticed that there’s very little delay at Stonehenge now that the A344’s been closed off. What’s left is caused by farm tractors and people showing down to have a look. The tunnel will get rid of them while leaving the Henge quiet for people to enjoy in peace for the first time in decades.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have seen car drivers stop their car in live traffic to take photos of the stones or has Dipper said , the alien airport .
Plenty of skid marks on that road .
You can see every driver turn their head to have a look while driving .

Traffic is a nightmare on bank holidays, or when Glastonbury is on.
The strawberry vendors make a fortune .

toby1234abc:
The strawberry vendors make a fortune .

Do they though? They always seem to be sitting in a van reading a book and looking bored rather than serving any customers.

dri-diddly-iver:

malcolmgbell:

She didn’t actually build it herself and there was nowhere near as many planes then…and I thought I was thick :unamused:

Fortunately not all planners are so stupid. My local superstore was built next a car-park, so that works out quite well for customers. And even better there is good road access to the car-park too!

Would anybody honestly say it’s a wonder of the world? A worthwhile day out? It’s a pile of bloody rocks which nobody knows their purpose, save a few bearded weirdos in VW transporters.
You have to question these “world heritage sites.” Blenheim palace is our local “gem.” Swindon railway works is supposed to be one too. An old factory that’s 2/3 demolished and the rest turned into shops and flats. I like railways and the like but to declare it world heritage is like saying the old mill chimney up the road is historically important to the nation, when it’s little more than a local landmark that a dwindling number of residents know what it was for.

Well a simple supposedly lighthearted comment seems to have got slightly confused. :confused:

In reply to Bestbooties comment, which I assume was a lighthearted remarkreferring to Stonehenge.

bestbooties:
How on earth did they get planning permission to build that next to the A303 anyway?

I replied with another lighthearted comment which is normally attributed to various American Tourists visiting Windsor Castle. Hence the LOL Icons before and after.

muckles:
:laughing:

Bit like why did the Queen build Windsor Castle so near Heathrow. :laughing:

After which this was posted, missing the point, (but that’s ok I understand not everybody gets my sense of humour) and also messing up editing the quotes.

malcolmgbell:

muckles:

bestbooties:
How on earth did they get planning permission to build that next to the A303 anyway?

:laughing:

Bit like why did the Queen build Windsor Castle so near Heathrow. :laughing:[i think you will find that the queen god bless er an all that had absolutely nothing to do with it, be cause if my memory serves me right the castle was built in the 11th century]

Because Malcomgbell messed up the quotes, the comment is now attributed to him in this post.

dri-diddly-iver:

malcolmgbell:

And finally we get this.

Franglais:

dri-diddly-iver:

malcolmgbell:

Fortunately not all planners are so stupid. My local superstore was built next a car-park, so that works out quite well for customers. And even better there is good road access to the car-park too!

Now at no point did I or I assume anybody else actually believe that the Queen decided to build Windsor Castle near to Heathrow, except maybe a mythical American tourist. :laughing:
And although nobody has seemed to picked up on Bestbooties post to further show their grasp of History,
I also don’t think Bestbooties believes there was a planning meeting in which they decided it was ok to build Stonehenge so close to the A303 due to there being a gap of quite a few years between it’s construction and the building of the road.

I hope that clears up any confusion :smiley:
I’m sorry for posting it, I won’t try and be funny on here again. :frowning:

bestbooties:

Well, it was obviously easier to get the stones there by road rather than dragging them over some fields. :wink:

Muckles ! Mate ! Most of us of course saw what you were doing. Tis not like you to be so sensitive. Please keep on trying to be humorous, mate. One day you`ll succeed.

Yeah, Yeah, Glass houses. . .

Dipper_Dave:
It’s a stupid idea, the place is the old magic epicentre of the UK. Buggering about with laylines and the conduits to the spiritual realm will cause real problems.

The Druids are gonna go mental.
Not to mention any returning aliens who use the A303 as a guide point to the rock landing platform.

Bloody nutters… leave it alone.

:sunglasses:

BBC R4 News Quiz had a question about this subject. The background music to it was about Stonehenge by the well known (in their day) band “Spinal Tap”. Any of you not familiar with them may be able to find a documentary on the band somewhere on the web. Highly recommended.

Franglais:
BBC R4 News Quiz had a question about this subject. The background music to it was about Stonehenge by the well known (in their day) band “Spinal Tap”. Any of you not familiar with them may be able to find a documentary on the band somewhere on the web. Highly recommended.

Tried to watch it, but my YouTube volume only went up to 10 so couldn’t hear it properly. :laughing:

I remember going to the Stonehenge Free Festival in 1982. The Druids were there at sunrise on Solstice Day performing their ancient and solemn ritual, which was only slightly marred by the fact that one of them was (famously) Coronation Street actor William Roche, and hundreds of stoned hippies were shouting things like “All right Ken, how’s Deirdre?” and “Will you be in the Rovers tonight?” :stuck_out_tongue:

muckles:

Franglais:

Tried to watch it, but my YouTube volume only went up to 10 so couldn’t hear it properly. :laughing:

That`s more like it !

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

That`s more like it !

Thanks and for your previous post. :smiley:
I’m not really a fragile snowflake, wouldn’t survived working in haulage or motorsport for very long if that was the case. :laughing:
but I thought people were taking the post far to literally instead of how it was intended so I thought I’d put the record straight.

Muckles did not want to steal your thunder , sorry for messing up the quote

malcolmgbell:
Muckles did not want to steal your thunder , sorry for messing up the quote

Thank you but really no apology required, :smiley: