A303 help please

I need a bit of advice on the best time to tackle a journey I will be undertaking in a couple of weeks time.

The ingredients aren’t good, hence the need to ask.

I’m setting off from Derbyshire sometime Friday and I want to end up in Warminster around 6pm

I need to go via Stonehenge for the sightseeing bit (I have never ventured to these parts in my 12 years of driving).

What time would be good to get to stonehenge without hitting the traffic jams that Sally Traffic keeps advertising, and what time should I leave to complete the journey?

Thanks guys :wink:

Blimey!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You dont ask for much do ya LOL…
IMHO I would aim to get to stonehenge for approx 10am.
So that means I would leave Derby no later than 5:30 am. Just to be safe with the traffic. You gonna be in artic? And do you want to stop and take some spiritual korma in? I have seen trucks up the little lane up the side of the Henge but never tried it my self…so I wont say its safe…

But if you are heading west-bound from Countess R’bout, as dual carraigeway finishes you see stonehenge in distance go down the hill bear right at jct to Stonehenge, up there there is parking and just past the henge is a little TRACK on the left. Just have a Looksie first as I said ok mate.

if you can get to stonehenge the traffic is usually quiet between about 1000 in the morning or 1400, well it isnt when i have been past there quite a few times.

no idea about what time you would need to leave though, probably about 10-1100 i think, you should cruise down to be honest, maybe a little bit of traffic but not a great deal, the kids are back at school. you should be in warminster before 6 though if you leave at 10.

thats my thoughts but i will probably be wide of the mark knowing me

Clarky:
You gonna be in artic? And do you want to stop and take some spiritual korma in?

Sorry I should have said I will be in the car :laughing:

Well!!!

Now you tell me!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Leave yourself at least 4 hours to be safe mate.

Plenty of parking for them annoying little “motors” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Derby to Stonehenge 275k say 3 hours Via Oxford and Winchester

Stonehenge to Warminster is only about 28k - half an hour tops.

you could leave later if you had one of thse special cars that Gibisa is on about getting :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Santa:
Stonehenge to Warminster is only about 28k - half an hour tops.

Is that by car or sleigh Santa :question: :wink: :laughing:

Looks like a day getting to know your inner self then Limestone :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is that by car or sleigh Santa

Only get the sleigh out once a year :slight_smile:

you didnt mention you were in a car!

you could do derby to stonehenge in about 3 hours tops then then about another 45mins and youre in warminster

3 HOURS!!! ON A FRIDAY!!!

your’e havin a larf!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i still have to look twice at those stones every time i see them and i,ve been going past them once a week for the past 20 years! turn right as you aproach stonehenge and the touristy carpark is on the old road at the back of the stones{ though i spose it was the front when it was the old road} usually loads of anoraks with massive cameras wandering about, so dont forget to take yours :smiley:

Well it sounds like i’ve picked a good day for it!!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Clarky:
Looks like a day getting to know your inner self then Limestone :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

looks like a day stuck in traffic to me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Absorbing stone henge as you whizz past at 50mph is more than enough, up close it just doesn’t seem big enough, I would go so far as to call it a let down :laughing:

WildGoose:
Absorbing stone henge as you whizz past at 50mph is more than enough, up close it just doesn’t seem big enough, I would go so far as to call it a let down :laughing:

A bit harsh there - give 'em chance to finish it :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Limestone Cowboy:

WildGoose:

A bit harsh there - give 'em chance to finish it :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

double glazing and patio doors arrive monday i believe :wink: