Passing Stonehenge - A303

It seems that during daylight hours there’s very often queues here while car drivers slow right down to look at the rocks that some crowd left behind. I’ve been hearing for God knows how many years debates about building a road tunnel by here. Despite the millions it’s cost to fund Councillors and MP’s to sit on their fat arses discussing this and never reaching a sensible, suitable conclusion…why don’t they stop fruffing around and just build a bloody great hill around these rocks so they can’t be seen from the road? Surely that would ease the congestion at a reasonable cost and make those that want to see the rocks go in and pay to see them instead of holding traffic up. Or perhaps I’m missing something?

I pass there regularly and am left feeling distinctly underwhelmed every time I see it. Not sure what I was expecting the first time I passed but a bunch of little stones wasn’t it.

The idea of a big bank is commendable imo but as it’s a World heritage site I can’t see it happening. Maybe high fencing opposite the rocks would do it, as it’s only when the poor lambs get right beside it that they seem to slow down and wobble all over as they try to take pics on their phone. Not that I would do that of course!

I’m surprised that McDonald’s hav’nt opened a restaurant next to it ! (Yet)

I am surprised they built it so near the road! Same mistake was made with Windsor Castle!

How come the rocks don’t fall over in that picture? :laughing:

the maoster:
I pass there regularly and am left feeling distinctly underwhelmed every time I see it. Not sure what I was expecting the first time I passed but a bunch of little stones wasn’t it.

The idea of a big bank is commendable imo but as it’s a World heritage site I can’t see it happening. Maybe high fencing opposite the rocks would do it, as it’s only when the poor lambs get right beside it that they seem to slow down and wobble all over as they try to take pics on their phone. Not that I would do that of course!

I bet the hippys and tree huggers see them bricks in a different light when it’s summer solstice :laughing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

the maoster:

I bet the hippys and tree huggers see them bricks in a different light when it’s summer solstice :laughing:

Even though the guys who built it were probably more interested in the midwinter solstice.

ROG:
How come the rocks don’t fall over in that picture? :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Plambert:
I am surprised they built it so near the road! Same mistake was made with Windsor Castle!

Have a :laughing: from me

Plambert:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

While I was reading this post South Today just said the head of CBI reckons tunnel plans ought to be seriously considered to help the economy. Coincidence…
Sounds like some committee will be earning a load more money for discussing stuff again. And he also reckons it’ll cost £1bil. It’ll definitely help someone’s economy then…

martinviking:

They could erect two vertical stones with a large stone across them as a lintel at the top which would act as a height barrier to the drive in entrance. Then align the building so that at sunrise on the summer solstice, the light would shine through the entrance doors and illuminate the condiments counter. The McDruids Happy Meal would be on special offer obviously.

TerryDactyl.:

martinviking:

They could erect two vertical stones with a large stone across them as a lintel at the top which would act as a height barrier to the drive in entrance. Then align the building so that at sunrise on the summer solstice, the light would shine through the entrance doors and illuminate the condiments counter. The McDruids Happy Meal would be on special offer obviously.

What would they get with their happy meal? A toy or some acid?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

TerryDactyl.:

martinviking:

What would they get with their happy meal? A toy or some acid?

Hippy Meal !

I always found Stonehenge underwhelming also. I associate it with a time we stopped at the windswept place on the way back from Devon. Bored to tears I was. Why on earth can’t they just build the dual carriageway a couple of miles to the south, that way the traffic gets through in reasonable time and the stones stay standing.

It’s not as if they actually got around to building Stonehenge anyway… they only managed to get the scaffolding up

Think most are looking for the road on there sat nav which was covered over a year of two ago ( illegally aparantly)

I’ve always thought about plowing into the field and trying to knock the stones over that would certainly make me and my employer famous :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

If I was passing stones that big , :open_mouth: I would go to the doctors :neutral_face:

They don’t need to build a duel carriageway, people who want to see it should sit in the traffic and people who want to avoid the traffic should get their maps out and would realise there is an easy way around it only adding 10 mins onto driving time.