A question regarding test vehicle

Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody on here knew if it was possible for say a transport company to provide thier own vehicle to take a practical test. I would really appreciate any information that people could give me regarding this & if it is possible what would the recquirements be for that vehicle i.e insurance etc etc.

Yes they could. The vehicle must meet certain standards and you can find the details here.

If your companies insurance has allowed you to learn in the vehicle then it would be OK for the test.

Thanks for the quick reply Coffeeholic,

Where it says

Requirements for lorries registered before 1 October 2003
Listed below is a list of the vehicle requirements for each category of lorry (C1, C1 +E, C+E) first registered before 1 October 2003. All vehicles presented for test must be unladen.

Does this mean registered on the road?

Also a question regarding a g/b with 6 forward gears, what would the gearing exercise consist of? would it be starting in 1st up to which gear?? then back down again? I have had extensive tuition in a 4 over 4 wagon but can’t figure out how they would want you to complete this exercise.

I am sorry for all these questions, all will become clear when I know where I am going with this :confused:

Stocky:
Thanks for the quick reply Coffeeholic,

We aim to please. :smiley: :smiley:

Stocky:
Where it says

Requirements for lorries registered before 1 October 2003
Listed below is a list of the vehicle requirements for each category of lorry (C1, C1 +E, C+E) first registered before 1 October 2003. All vehicles presented for test must be unladen.

Yes, I would assume so.

Can’t help you on the gear change question, I can’t remember what I had for breakfast never mind what happened on my test 20 years ago. :wink: :smiley: Someone will be able to answer that for you shortly I would guess.

Stocky:

It means the date that the vehicle was first registered. Despite the DSA being an arm of the DfT they seem to be incapable of using expressions in common usage through their sister organisations. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Stocky:
Also a question regarding a g/b with 6 forward gears, what would the gearing exercise consist of? would it be starting in 1st up to which gear?? then back down again? I have had extensive tuition in a 4 over 4 wagon but can’t figure out how they would want you to complete this exercise.

The examiner will ask you to stop at the side of the road whereupon you will apply the parking brake. He will then (no doubt) assess the location you have chosen in relation to the Highway Code (“Do not stop or let your vehicle stand…” - which includes areas adjacent to tactile paving designed to assist disabled persons to cross.)

He will then instruct you to move off using the lowest available gear and change up sequentially until…(whatever gear he nominates).

Coming back down, use the brake pedal to lose speed and then engage the gear for the speed. Having engaged the gear, accelerate. It may seem unnatural and jerky, but the requirement is that you demonstrate that the gear is engaged.

At the end he will say, “Continue driving using the gears normally.” Whether you come to a halt and then start off, or continue moving will depend on when he tells you, and the traffic in the vicinity. Always plan the next gear change. It’s very easy to relax and go from 1st to 4th. Plan your next change into third gear.

Using a Company vehicle, check if it is owned or on contract leasing. A hired or leased vehicle needs to have a letter from the owner to the effect that you have permission to use it for that purpose.

I was told that the gear change excersise is half of the box plus one… Which was correct for all three of my tests (C - 6 speed box, up to 4th. C+E - 8 speed box, up to 5th). My understanding is that splitters are ignored…

G

Thanks again for the replies.

I see a little more clearly about the gearing exercise now, so it is down to the examiners discretion & length of road I suppose?

Back to the registered part, as in the same as you register a new car with the DVLA? ‘Registered as new in 2002’ for example??

The company vehicles are all owned so there should be no problem there, just got to query the insurance.

The reason I am asking all these questions is I have now failed my test on 3 occasions, the last time with 3 minors on the road ,but like a div I took my eye of the ball on the reversing & manged to screw it in at an angle & caught the barrier with the offside lifting the leg(8 attempts & 2 tests never got that part wrong). My instructor is struggling for an early slot to get me in to do my retest, so this is a way of taking my test again asap & @ test price rather than the £160 I’m paying for retest.

I really do appreciate all the advice I am being given here & would welcome some more, now that I have given you all the facts as to my current situation, to say I’m desperate to get this over with is an understatement.

Stocky:
Back to the registered part, as in the same as you register a new car with the DVLA? ‘Registered as new in 2002’ for example??

Yes, the date of first registration as shown on the V5.

so the truck could be 20 years old before it was registered, a new vehicle isnt always that new.
Saw a couple of unregistered Rover 75’s today, well they must be at least a year old :laughing:

Chances are :wink: :wink: the examiner might say something along the lines of…

“I’d like you to move off in the lowest normal gear, then change up into each gear in turn until you reach third/forth (examiner to specify). When I ask you, change down into each gear in turn, driving for a short distance in each ratio until you reach lowest normal gear.”

Note how it doesn’t say anything about changing the range, just ‘third/forth’. If that meant you had to change through the ‘gate’ i.e. some of the Scania gearboxes, then so be it! There is no requirement to split the gears if a splitter switch is fitted.

As for the gear changing exercise being down to ‘the examiners discretion or length of road’ that isn’t quite correct. Each test route has to meet certain criteria and the areas used for each of the exercises will be pretty much the same irrespective of examiner. There will, however, always be an alternative for each of the exercises, just in case the ‘usual’ is not available for some reason.

If you require any more info i’ll have another look around …

If you use a company truck for your test, the the DSA will want the dimensions of it i.e. length & width. This is so they can set out the reversing exercise cones correctly. As you would be using a truck they aren’t familar with (unlike most of the trucks that the training co’s use) they may measure it to confirm what you told them.

All the best for your next test.

Sorry I’ve not replied until now, net connection gave up the ghost :cry:

Once again a really big thank you for all your help, I am now armed with all the information needed to approach the MD, my traffic manager is behind this idea & hopefully we can go ahead & book the earliest possible date to do my retest.

I remember back in January when I had my medical & theory, thinking how I would do my class 2 then do my class 1 in the summer, now I think, I’ll just be grateful to to get through the first part :stuck_out_tongue: , I’ll keep you informed as to what happens & will always be grateful for the help I received, top forum! :sunglasses:

Well armed with all the information given here I have gone ahead & booked a test for this Saturday :astonished: , I will have full use of the wagon in the morning to brush up on the exercises & mark the wagon for the reversing,I so hope I get it all right on the day. I’ve been a nervous wreck since hitting the ‘Confirm booking’ button.

Please, please, please if anybody has any hints or tips on nerves/the test etc etc then please leave them here to aid me in my quest to get this elusive certificate of competance :wink: .

Whil’st I’m on I’ll ask a couple of things , having been taught using a four over fourbox, where you use 4th to pull off in on the level & 3rd for a gradient, in a 6 speed box is it right to use 2nd & 1st for a gradient??

Also one thing that never came up due to it not raining, on the controlled stop exercise are you allowed a little extra on the distance travelled after the cones to allow for the extra care needed not to lock up in said conditions??

A huge thank you for all the advise I have been given here top site :grimacing:

Whil’st I’m on I’ll ask a couple of things , having been taught using a four over fourbcox, where you use 4th to pull off in on the level & 3rd for a gradient, in a 6 speed box is it right to use 2nd & 1st for a gradient??

It really depends on the truck - I learnt in a Merc with a 6 speed box and used 3rd / 2nd depending on the gradient, same on my class one in a 4 over 4… Driven stuff since where I have had to start in 1st or 2nd … … … although only needed first in an ancient heap of a Renault !!!

G

Stocky:
Also one thing that never came up due to it not raining, on the controlled stop exercise are you allowed a little extra on the distance travelled after the cones to allow for the extra care needed not to lock up in said conditions??

AFAIK there is no set distance on this exercise, just a safe, controlled stop from approximately 20mph is the requirement.

going by what i was told in september when i did mine, was you should stop with the cone about halfway down the vehicle, but it doesnt matter too much if you pass it.

Basically the key point of the excercise is that you can use the brakes, it’s not an emergency stop as such. So long as you dont take the ■■■■ they’re pretty flexible with it.

I was always told it was within the length of the vehicle - so it can be better to learn in something bigger !! At Garrats Green there would be more problem with gravel from the tarnac breaking up than water anyway !!!

G

Some snippets of info I found…

The candidate is required to drive forward and reach a speed of about 20 mph by the time the vehicle reaches the two cones positioned on the area (not less than 61m (200 ft) from the start point). He should then apply his brakes and bring the vehicle to a stop as quickly and as safely as possible.

In assessing the ability of a candidate, the Examiner must take into consideration the surface conditions and the weight of the vehicle. With an empty vehicle, some or all the wheels may lock if the vehicle if excessive brake pedal pressure is applied. In the case of vehicles towing trailers, this may result in jack-knifing and the Examiner should look for correct application of the brakes and correct handling of the steering.

Hopefully that clears-up any questions regarding distance allowed past the cones etc etc.

If you need more info, give me a shout and i’ll see what I can find. :wink:

Hello all,

right, tomorrow is the big day(Again :unamused: ), I’m in the zone mentally,been out all day in the truck I am using tomorrow, no major problems, the gearing took a while to get ‘right’ often felt no need for 2nd gear,maybe I’ll bring my approach speed down a little further,not that I can get it much lower :laughing: .

Got a check list for the morning,

Check the lights are all working, mark for the reversing exercise & have a few/lot of attempts,now if there is anything else I could/should be looking at then I would appredciate the advice,I’ll be back on here tomorrow in the morning before I go & all being well will be here in the afternoon,with a big fat smile as well :smiley:

Stocky:
Please, please, please if anybody has any hints or tips on nerves/the test etc etc then please leave them here to aid me in my quest to get this elusive certificate of competance :wink: .

Don’t go into it expecting a ‘clean sheet’. You wouldn’t go into a written examination expecting to get 100%. There would be some questions where you were confident and others where you couldn’t give a full answer. The same with a Driving Test. There will be situations where you know immediately what to do. Others need to be thought through. At least with a Driving Test, you know what the questions will be. You’ve practiced them enough times. It’s just a mattter of matching up the correct answers with the various questions, and attaining a Pass mark. Don’t dwell on events that have passed.

Listen to the way the Examiner phrases the instructions. There will often be a clue, and if you aren’t sure about an instruction, Ask!

Best of luck