LHD Class 1

My company want`s to put myself & another driver throught our class 1 test.At the moment i can see a few problems,as we both drive 18t ,mine is LHD, his RHD,all of our company artics are LHD.So i dont really want to have my lessons & test in an RHD & the other drivers point of view is why learn in an RHD when our trucks will be LHD.Are there any companys who do lessons & test in LHD trucks,or would we be better off getting in an instructor & doing lessions & test in our company truck & trailer.The company is based in east london.Any help/advice would be great.Thanks.

I would doubt if there was one LGV training company in the UK that used LHDs

Reversing exercise would be very hard to do because you wouldnt be able to judge where you were on the kerb, just after you have started and need to be parrallel with it.

When in Rome …as they say.
We are in the UK and we drive on the left so all UK tests are geared to UK driving.
I doubt if you would be allowed to take your test in a LHD vehicle over here.
Check with the DSA but I do have a feeling its a no-no and personally I agree with that.

I can’t find any reference in Minimum test vehicle requirements for lorries as published by the DSA about LHD or RHD.

However I don’t know of any training school that has a LHD training vehicle.

I’ve never noticed a training school with an LHD truck either.
TBF, I’ve never seen anything in writing from the DSA that specifically says LHD or RHD. A very interesting question IMHO.:grimacing:

IIRC, before the layout changed a few years, the reversing exercise area could accomodate both RHD and LHD vehicles. Similarly, there would be no reason barring anyone taking a Class C test in a bin wagon with a mid positioned driving position.

The only occasion I am aware of (before the rules changed) was of someone being advised/told that they couldn’t take the C+E with a low loader trailer as the physical size of the area could not accomodate the length of the vehicle.

But as has been stated, “When in Rome…”

Look on the bright side. If you are used to driving a LHD vehicle in the U.K., then your positioning, planning, and awareness, will be streets ahead. (Forgive the pun. :blush: )

I don’t think the examiner will be very happy sat in the passenger seat, when you have to pass a stationary object on the left and you move over on to the opposite side of the road and traffic is coming towards him!!!

Although the DSA don’t seem to mention any specific ban with regard to LHD, isn’t there a possible issue with visibilty? I’ve heard that there are a couple of cars you can’t take your test in for this reason, so might the same apply here.

:laughing: I’ve heard that it can be a bit tricky in a LHD if there’s a hairdresser’s car alongside. :wink: :grimacing:

dieseldave:
:lol: I’ve heard that it can be a bit tricky in a LHD if there’s a hairdresser’s car alongside. :wink: :grimacing:

I heard that :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldave:
:lol: I’ve heard that it can be a bit tricky in a LHD if there’s a hairdresser’s car alongside. :wink: :grimacing:

Dont know what you mean :blush: :wink:

I miss mine , only been a few weeks now , but i must admit i have struggled driving RHD again after a few years with me ■■■■■■ :smiley:

If you need to sit a test in a RHD get some practise in first. I found i was bouncing of kerbs and the like , and the odd close of an eye as a wagon passed a bit near to me on narrow roads, something that i never botherd about in my Tally wagon cos i was already in the gutter ,so to speak :smiley: