A question on towing

Haven’t found anything on this site or anywhere else about this so hope this question isn’t as dumb as it sounds.

Know you can’t take a C+E test until you get your full C licence, but is it possible to drive an artic or tow a drag (with L plates of course!) while holding a provisional Class C licence?

Can’t find anything in the regulations about this.

I would have to say that you couldn’t.

To drive an artic or tow a drag you would need a provisional C+E which you get when you pass your C test

Sorry

Semtex:
I would have to say that you couldn’t.

To drive an artic or tow a drag you would need a provisional C+E which you get when you pass your C test

Sorry

I’m not asking for an apology, only a bit of info! Don’t think that there would be much in the way of gain in it as you’ve still got to pass your C test before going for C+E anyway!

Was only wondering - up until 1997 I know that you were able to straight for your C+E while holding a provisional HGV licence. Also know that provisional car licence holders even in my day weren’t allowed to tow - even although they got full B+E entitlement as soon as they passed their test. Haven’t been able to find any evidence that old HGV licensing legislation has been repealed.

I wouldn’t imagine that there are that many provisional C/C+E licences issued before 1997 in circulation now, but they would surely be allowed to drive artics under provisional conditions without passing any LGV test. I do understand that even they have to pass the Class C test first.

SuperLez:
Haven’t found anything on this site or anywhere else about this so hope this question isn’t as dumb as it sounds.

Know you can’t take a C+E test until you get your full C licence, but is it possible to drive an artic or tow a drag (with L plates of course!) while holding a provisional Class C licence?

Can’t find anything in the regulations about this.

Semtex is correct - you cannot, but once you have passed the C test, have a look at the provisional entitlement on the paper bit of your licence - is the C+E provisional on it? - if yes, then you can drive one with L plates as long as you have a qualified C+E driver next to you and they have held their C+E for at least 3 years - also make sure that the vehicles insurance is covered for this purpose. The L plates need only be the “car size” ones to comply with the law these days.

ROG:
Semtex is correct - you cannot, but once you have passed the C test, have a look at the provisional entitlement on the paper bit of your licence - is the C+E provisional on it? - if yes, then you can drive one with L plates as long as you have a qualified C+E driver next to you and they have held their C+E for at least 3 years - also make sure that the vehicles insurance is covered for this purpose. The L plates need only be the “car size” ones to comply with the law these days.

I thought you would have been able to drive C+E as soon as you passed your C test. I thought that full Class C entitlement would automatically allow you to go ahead and take the C+E test.

Which then leads to the next (silly?) question - don’t want to sound a right pain on this but I do plan to ask my company for a drive of their artic to celebrate when I pass my test (for the full hourly fee of course!) - are you not allowed to tow a drag on a C test pass certificate?

SuperLez:

ROG:

I thought you would have been able to drive C+E as soon as you passed your C test. I thought that full Class C entitlement would automatically allow you to go ahead and take the C+E test.

Which then leads to the next (silly?) question - don’t want to sound a right pain on this but I do plan to ask my company for a drive of their artic to celebrate when I pass my test (for the full hourly fee of course!) - are you not allowed to tow a drag on a C test pass certificate?

No question is silly - without asking we learn nothing - thats not to say that that all the answers are correct though but we each try our best.

Once you have passed the C test you should (just check in case DVLA missed it) the provisional entitlement for C+E on the paper bit. This is the same rules as when you had your car provisional. You cannot pull a drag on a C as a drag is now a C+E (same as the artic). Please refer to my previous answer to see what you have to do so you can take one out on a C+E provisional.

PS when are you taking your C training & test?

ROG:
No question is silly - without asking we learn nothing - thats not to say that that all the answers are correct though but we each try our best.

Once you have passed the C test you should (just check in case DVLA missed it) the provisional entitlement for C+E on the paper bit. This is the same rules as when you had your car provisional. You cannot pull a drag on a C as a drag is now a C+E (same as the artic). Please refer to my previous answer to see what you have to do so you can take one out on a C+E provisional.

Understand that there is a difference between common sense (which IMO is what we base our questions on) and the law!

As for my training, have my theory on 13 Sept. For practical, have selected a local Aberdeen company (John Gilbert Transport Training) - virtually everyone local I know has passed their LGV with them and I haven’t heard a bad word about them. 3 (out of 3) of my employer’s drivers passed their tests with them first time! 5 day course (2 to 1) with test the following Monday. Cost - £500 + VAT (£87.50) + test (£89.00). Will have taken test by end of October.

I was thinking about taking practical down South as the companies tend to use newer vehicles and I could have made a bit of a holiday out of it - but funds don’t allow for this. No hurry for me to take C+E now as I’ve discovered that I would be breaking both the drivers hours regs and Working Time Directive driving LGVs for a living in my spare time - but will be going for this sometime next spring.

SuperLez:

ROG:

As for my training, have my theory on 13 Sept. For practical, have selected a local Aberdeen company (John Gilbert Transport Training) - virtually everyone local I know has passed their LGV with them and I haven’t heard a bad word about them. 3 (out of 3) of my employer’s drivers passed their tests with them first time! 5 day course (2 to 1) with test the following Monday. Cost - £500 + VAT (£87.50) + test (£89.00). Will have taken test by end of October.

I was thinking about taking practical down South as the companies tend to use newer vehicles and I could have made a bit of a holiday out of it - but funds don’t allow for this. No hurry for me to take C+E now as I’ve discovered that I would be breaking both the drivers hours regs and Working Time Directive driving LGVs for a living in my spare time - but will be going for this sometime next spring.

Good price for the C course. good luck on your theory - hope all the info on this site helps you.

SuperLez:
Was only wondering - up until 1997 I know that you were able to straight for your C+E while holding a provisional HGV licence.

I actually applied for my provisional LGV in '96 so got C and CE on the licence but didn’t do the tests until 2002, this meant I could have driven an artic on L plates but not take the test until I’d passed the C.

ROG:
Good price for the C course. good luck on your theory - hope all the info on this site helps you.

I have read what is on this forum more intently than what is written in the DSA’s books!

Will let you know theory result on the day. I’ll also keep you posted on my training on a day by day basis and the test when I take this.

Companies up here use lorries that have to put it kindly a fair few miles on the clock - this more than anything else explains why the training costs are so low.