hgv licences

I have a question that hopefully someone on here can answer,somebody told me that if you take a wagon and drag test and pass that it then allows you to drive a proper artic,however i was under the impression that this is not right because a W+D is just a class 2 with a trailer and not the proper full length artic, any clarification on this would be appreciated… :question:

forget all that class 2 nonsense.

there are two categories of licence now

Cat C = truck (+ a little pup trailer under some circumstances)

Cat C+E = truck & trailer (including both semi and drawbar)

Pictures onthe back of your driving licence to helpyou if you are stuck.

there is an entitlement for a C with a drawbar trailer for drivers who passed the test back in the day before C & C + E came in (ie the old class 1 2 & 3).

but a C+E test pass now entitles you to drive both types ie semi & drawbar. You can take the test either with an artic or a drawbar.

mark41:
I have a question that hopefully someone on here can answer,somebody told me that if you take a wagon and drag test and pass that it then allows you to drive a proper artic,however i was under the impression that this is not right because a W+D is just a class 2 with a trailer and not the proper full length artic, any clarification on this would be appreciated… :question:

Somebody is right.

There is no longer any such thing as “Class 2” except in colloquial expression. There is Class C +E (which bend in the middle and Class C (which don’t); so once you’ve passed C+E, you can drive drawbars and artics, and it doesn’t matter which one you passed your test on.

Bugger… GasGas beat me to it!

Thx guys appreciate the responses glad that’s been cleared up… :grimacing:

Most driving schools seem to use wag and drags these days. You walk in on monday with your car licence and take your 7½ tonne test on Friday. A week later, clutching your licence with a “D” stamped on it, you climb in an 18 tonner which is basically the same as the smaller truck and take a “C” test at the end of the week. When that licence arrives you use the same waggon with a caravan type trailer on behind to take your C+E.

You then start with an agency who send you out on your first job. The TM chucks you a set of keys, tells you the unit is in the yard and to find an empty trailer and back it on a bay. When you climb up three steps to get in you find that someone seems to have nicked the clutch pedal, there are a bewildering array of dials, knobs and switches on the dash, and compared to what you drove in the test, you now seem to be level with the top deck of a double decker bus.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Santa:
Most driving schools seem to use wag and drags these days. You walk in on monday with your car licence and take your 7½ tonne test on Friday. A week later, clutching your licence with a “D” stamped on it, you climb in an 18 tonner which is basically the same as the smaller truck and take a “C” test at the end of the week. When that licence arrives you use the same waggon with a caravan type trailer on behind to take your C+E.

You then start with an agency who send you out on your first job. The TM chucks you a set of keys, tells you the unit is in the yard and to find an empty trailer and back it on a bay. When you climb up three steps to get in you find that someone seems to have nicked the clutch pedal, there are a bewildering array of dials, knobs and switches on the dash, and compared to what you drove in the test, you now seem to be level with the top deck of a double decker bus.

I was under the impression that with the new catorgories of licence C C+E that when you had passed your class C you had to wait 6 months before you could sit your C+E ■■ Is this just and old wives (or greasy spoon) tale??

Paul

You can take your C+E test as soon as you receive the C+E provisional, which usually occurs when it is returned from the DVLA from having a Full C added.

Hope This Helps

however i was under the impression that this is not right because a W+D is just a class 2 with a trailer and not the proper full length artic

A wagon and drag can be longer then a artic as regulations state a vehicle can be;
motor vehicle + 1 drawbar trailer 2 - 18.75 metres
articulated vehicle + semi-trailer 15.5 metres
articulated vehicle + semi-trailer which is a low-loader manufactured on or after 1/4/91 - 18 metres.

So don’t let that put you off doing it in a wagon and drag as there’s pro and cons to each there’s places you can take a wagon and drag but a artic won’t fit and vice versa once you get thrown the keys to a tractor unit it shouldn’t take you long to pick it up thing I noticed was take extra space to straighten the unit up before going back makes your life alot easier

Santa:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

EastAnglianTrucker:

Santa:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chances are that if it is a Hire truck it will have about a hundred switches of which three are actually wired up! The heater is stuck on either full on or full off and everything is coated in 5th wheel grease. And where is the manual? Oh, someone gave you the wrong PIN# for the fuel card. Happy days (daze?)

Santa:

If your over 21 you can skip the 71/2 tonne & go straight to C/Class2 which needs to be a minimum of 12 tonnes MAM, at least eight metres in length and least 2.4 metres in width, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph). The vehicle should have at least eight forward ratios, a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab. Tachograph, ABS, seatbelts and examiner mirrors.

There are two types of test vehicle in the C + E category.

1. A drawbar outfit made from a combination of a category C vehicle and trailer with a MAM of 20 tonnes and a length of at least 7.5 metres from coupling eye to extreme rear and a combined length of at least 14 metres with a trailer at least 2.4 metres in width. The vehicle combination should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph), with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab. Tachograph, ABS, seatbelts and examiner mirrors.

2. An articulated lorry with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes, with a minimum length of 14 metres and and minimum width of at least 2.4 metres. The vehicle should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and have with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab. Tachograph, ABS, seatbelts and examiner mirrors

bluenose:
If your over 21 you can skip the 71/2 tonne & go straight to C/Class2

You can go sraight to Cat C when you are 18

bluenose:
If your over 21 you can skip the 71/2 tonne & go straight to C/Class2…

My youngest got his C at 19 and his C+E a couple of weeks ago aged 20. The age was reduced to 18 across the board a while ago now.

The amazing thing to me is that you can go from car to artic with only two weks training, and none of it in an artic. IMHO a trailer with centre axles like the trainers use is much easier to manouvre than an artic.

Santa:
The amazing thing to me is that you can go from car to artic with only two weks training, and none of it in an artic. IMHO a trailer with centre axles like the trainers use is much easier to manouvre than an artic.

thx for all the replies guys what you said here santa was what i was thinking myself but being as once you are out in the “real world” you are more likely to be driving a unit and trailer rather than a W+D so wouldn’t it make more sense to take your training and test in a semi or is there really not that much difference…?

those that do the test in a W&D tend to have a few hrs on an artic unit so that they can be familiar with it

mark41:

Santa:

thx for all the replies guys what you said here santa was what i was thinking myself but being as once you are out in the “real world” you are more likely to be driving a unit and trailer rather than a W+D so wouldn’t it make more sense to take your training and test in a semi or is there really not that much difference…?

A couple of points to pick up on.

There have been recently quite a lot more W&D outfits on the road although I don’t think it outweighs the number of Artics yet.

To get the category on your licence it is easier IMHO to train and test in a W&D and take a couple of hours on Artic once you have the test passed.

For real world experience there is no doubt that training in an artic would be beneficial.

But why make it harder on yourself to get the test pass?

mark41:

Yep it is a Cat C with trailer on but that is classed as the E part

So if you do test in Cat C with trailer (E) then it is a CE licence

Santa:

HANG ON EVERYONE YOU SEEM TO BE FORGETTING SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT HERE ANDF THAT IS TO STOP READ THE ABOVE POST AND APPRECIATE HOW FUNNY AND REAL THAT REALLY IS, well done that man :laughing:

mark41:
Ii was under the impression that this is not right because a W+D is just a class 2 with a trailer and not the proper full length artic

As said above some drivers have a CE licence with a restriction against it (code 102) and they can drive a w+d but not a ‘proper’ artic. This restriction is a legacy of the old style licence and is not issued nowadays.