Quick Question....

…If you take your cat C licence do you have to take your C+E before you C1■■?

Just on the DVLA form it doesn’t have C+E on it as an option for a provisional :confused:

you get provisional C+E when you pass your C

not sure what you want to know about C1 :confused:

C1 is for Vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg

You need to obtain the Cat C licence then you get a provisional C+E. If you are taking the Cat C you don’t need to worry about the C1. C1 is for vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg. There is no licence for trucks above Cat C+E, the ‘C’ part being for goods vehicles and the ‘E’ part adding the entitlement to enable you to pull trailers - ‘normal’ and semi trailers.

Beat me by 1 minute Denis. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I intend to take both…

didnt know if there was a seperate test for C+E or if you just go straight to C1

I think your getting confused.

If you take Cat C (which you can do after getting your B (Car Licence) and passing a medical) you will get Cat C1 automatically (first as provisional and then as full entitlement when you pass Cat C).

If you take the Cat C1 test then you only get Cat C1 and not C. Not many people take Cat C1 anymore - just do regular C. The only people that do are usually taking Cat C1+E where they have grandfather rights and want to tow a trailer (council guys).

After passing C you are automatically granted C+E (you dont have to fill out any forms).

After passing C+E you also get given B+E if you do not already hold this.

The way is:

Medical

Licence Application for Cat C Provisional

Train for and pass Cat C

Get C+E Entitlement (Provisional)

Take another test to pass C+E (additonal training may be required)

If you passed your car driving test before 1st January 1997 you will already have the C1 category.

I get the impression that you are confusing C1 with the old Class 1. C+E replaced Class 1, with Cat C replacing both the old Class 2 and 3 licences.

This might explain it for you

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022564

okay so I just have to do C then C+E followed by C1 ALL three are on the D2 form from then DVLA and I intend to drive artics, but you have to do your rigid first dont you■■? and no I never passed my car test before 1997 so I dont have 7.5T on my licence.

No you automatically get C1 when you do your C!

You only need to do your C (rigid vehicles) C+E (artic vehicles) if you want to drive them!

You wont need to do C1 at all if you do you C

kettysangel:
okay so I just have to do C then C1 and then C1+E

NO

If you dont have the automatic right to drive a C1 (class 3)i.e a 7.5 tonner for instance which you will have if you passed your car licence before 1997 if not you have to take the C1 test followed by C1 + E(if your that way inclined)
the C1 + E is a small truck with a trailer on the back (im not going into the weights and approximate sizes as they are on the links that have been posted)

A ‘C’ Rigid(class 2)is a BIG truck WITHOUT a TRAILER (BIGGER than a C1)
A 'C+E 'Articulated (class 1) is a BIGGER truck WITH a TRAILER(BIGGER than a C1+E)

A ‘C’ & ‘C+E’ Licences are for BIG HEAVY trucks

This has gotta be a wind up surely? Nobody can be daft enough to keep asking the same question while appearing to ignore all the answers and links already posted. Can they?

I take it you won’t be explaining the WTD for them then coffee? :stuck_out_tongue:

Kiowan:
I take it you won’t be explaining the WTD for them then coffee? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I don’t know that much about the WTD as it happens. I tend not to bother with it. :wink: :smiley:

bikemonkey:

kettysangel:
okay so I just have to do C then C1 and then C1+E

NO

If you dont have the automatic right to drive a C1 (class 3)i.e a 7.5 tonner for instance which you will have if you passed your car licence before 1997 if not you have to take the C1 test followed by C1 + E(if your that way inclined)
the C1 + E is a small truck with a trailer on the back (im not going into the weights and approximate sizes as they are on the links that have been posted)

A ‘C’ Rigid(class 2)is a BIG truck WITHOUT a TRAILER (BIGGER than a C1)
A 'C+E 'Articulated (class 1) is a BIGGER truck WITH a TRAILER(BIGGER than a C1+E)

A ‘C’ & ‘C+E’ Licences are for BIG HEAVY trucks

Now I’m confused.

I am absolutely positive that HGV classes 3, 2 and 1 disappeared over 10 years ago.
Referring to the modern goods vehicle licence categories by using the old classifications, especially when you get even that wrong, just over complicates the issue.

A Category C1 licence entitles you to drive a small truck, up to 7.5 tonnes.
A Cat’ C1 + E licence entitles you to drive a small truck with a small trailer.
A Cat’ C licence entitles the you to drive a truck larger than 7.5 tonnes.
A Cat’ C + E licence entitles the you to drive a large truck with a large trailer.

If you are starting with just a car licence (Cat’ B), you can go straight from that to a large truck (Cat’ C), with the appropriate training and test. There is no need to do training and a test for Cat’ C1 first unless you particularly want to for some reason, for example - if you are younger than 21.
You only get the Cat’ C + E provisional licence after you pass the Cat’ C driving test.
I think that the training and test for a Cat’ C1 licence costs the same as for a Cat’ C licence. By doing a C1 test then a C test you are doubling your costs for very little gain, if any gain at all.

For future reference the old classifications were:-
HGV 3, a rigid truck with 2 axles, you could pull a trailer as in wagon and drag…
HGV 2, a rigid truck with more than 2 axles, you could pull a trailer as in wagon and drag.
HGV 1, an articulated unit and trailer.

There was no equivalent to the Cat’ C1, because that was included with your car licence and continued to be included up until the end of 1996.

Simon:
[
For future reference the old classifications were:-
HGV 3, a rigid truck with 2 axles, you could pull a trailer as in wagon and drag…
HGV 2, a rigid truck with more than 2 axles, you could pull a trailer as in wagon and drag.
HGV 1, an articulated unit and trailer.

There was no equivalent to the Cat’ C1, because that was included with your car licence and continued to be included up until the end of 1996.

The above is spot-on, but I seem to remember an HGV 4 as well. (IF I’m correct, that’s just for historical completeness and anorakism) :wink:

dieseldave:
The above is spot-on, but I seem to remember an HGV 4 as well. (IF I’m correct, that’s just for historical completeness and anorakism) :wink:

:question: :question: :question:

must be before my time, im only 29 :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

I don’t remember an HGV4 but I do remember when the news broke first came out regarding the C1 category it was often referred to in some of the trucking press as a HGV, or Class, 4. I also hear drivers referring to it as a Class 4 even today.

scanny77:

dieseldave:

:question: :question: :question:

must be before my time, im only 29 :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Me too im 21!

Coffeeholic:
I don’t remember an HGV4 but I do remember when the news broke first came out regarding the C1 category it was often referred to in some of the trucking press as a HGV, or Class, 4. I also hear drivers referring to it as a Class 4 even today.

I had a lengthy chatroom conversation with simon on the subject of the old HGV class 4.

To the best of my memory, they were a small artic. They were almost exclusively operated by the old British Rail and were used for parcels. My memeory of them is that they were a three-wheeler Scammell tractor unit and a short length single axle trailer, usually a box-body, but some were flats.

I remember that the trailer had a single fixed length landing leg, which was automatically swung down by the tractor pulling out from the trailer. If I’m not mistaken, the gearbox had a strange “W-gate” shift pattern. My memory of these was from the late '60s.

As I said, it’s pure anorakism, but I’m always as prepared to be put right as I was on my first day on the job.