Which provisional license can i get to start?

Hi all. First post. Really glad there is a forum for this. I’ve done my medical and am now ready to apply for my first provisional license. Can I apply for any category or do i have to start small and work up to an artic? Any help would be appreciated. I cant really find a clear cut answer on here or the .gov website. Thanks. Dave.

You need to pass your cat c (class 2) first then you should get provisional for cat c+e (class 1)

On the D2 form tick C & D only

that will cover you for all LGV & PCV categories now and in the future

Thanks so much. Will be posting it out Monday. Excited to get started on a new path. Its great to have this support too. Thanks again.

Fire away with any more questions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi again, Just being overly cautious as I want this to be right. Does having a B license entitle me to a provisional for C and C1? On the form it reads like this, Lorry Category C_ C1_ C1+E_. I’m just as confused after your posts and checking against the government website.

Apply for the C. You need a B license before you can get a C one. When you pass your C you get the C1 entitlement and a provisional C+E entitlement.

Thanks,

On this website though it’s saying that C is the largest

gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

GonnaBe:
Thanks,

On this website though it’s saying that C is the largest

gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

The E bit is the trailer entitlement. The C class of vehicles are goods vehicles over 3.5 tonns in weight. You can have just C and still be able to tow a trailer as long as it weighs less than 750KG. So think of a rigid horsebox with a kit trailer on the back. Anything over 750KG you need that “E” entitlement.

I understand the trailer aspect is the “E” but I don’t get whether I can apply for C1 (smaller vehicle) or C (larger). I thought you’d have to go small to big but the first option on the form is “C”

Category C1 is a subcategory of C

On your licence the C1 will not be shown when you get C as its hidden behind it

Passing C automatically gets provisional CE

All categories without the E can tow a trailer no more than 750 kg plated MAM weight with the exception of category B where a trailer more than 750 kg can be towed providing the total plated vehicle and trailer GVW/MAM weights do not total more than 3500 kg

GonnaBe:
I don’t get whether I can apply for C1 (smaller vehicle) or C (larger). I thought you’d have to go small to big but the first option on the form is “C”

You can go direct from B to C

GonnaBe:
I understand the trailer aspect is the “E” but I don’t get whether I can apply for C1 (smaller vehicle) or C (larger). I thought you’d have to go small to big but the first option on the form is “C”

When you pass your C, you get your C1 automatically.

Gotcha! Thanks again, can’t believe it took me this long to fill in the bleedin form. Hopefully the rest is ok from now on. Many thanks.