HGV /LGV Licence

sorry fellas, but I thought after new rules some years ago, that you had to take a class 2 first , drive 12 mths on that CAT before doing Class 1.

Am I wrong on this?

You can obtain class 1 as soon as you pass class 2 and get class 1provisional back

yes, you are wrong

Yes, a full Category C licence acts as a provisional C+E licence from the moment you get it.

Thanks Fellas for the clarification

routier:

IIRC, what you asked was the original plan, and may have been the case for a couple of years when it first changed, but, now, as soon as you get the full Cat C back from DVLA, you can go straight for the C+E

anyone else think that this is just another money making scam? :unamused:

shuttlespanker:

routier:

IIRC, what you asked was the original plan, and may have been the case for a couple of years when it first changed, but, now, as soon as you get the full Cat C back from DVLA, you can go straight for the C+E

gone are the times where you went for your class 1 before you got your car licence :laughing:

nick2008:

shuttlespanker:

routier:

gone are the times where you went for your class 1 before you got your car licence :laughing:

And when you could drive a drawbar outfit on a class 3 or 2 assuming you could find a guvnor who’d believe it. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Back in the day, when you passed your artic test (Day-cabbed Ford Cargo and 20’ single axle trailer, no theory test or DCPC) you not only got classes 1,2 and 3 but Classes 4 and 4A too. :wink:

Harry Monk:
Back in the day, when you passed your artic test (Day-cabbed Ford Cargo and 20’ single axle trailer, no theory test or DCPC) you not only got classes 1,2 and 3 but Classes 4 and 4A too. :wink:

and ur licence was a little brown book :grimacing:

nick2008:
and ur licence was a little brown book :grimacing:

What, like this? :wink:

shuttlespanker:

routier:

Yes, that was the original plan.

IIRC, that was the way of it for a short time around 2004/5, but the idea of the one-year gap between upgrade from “C” to “C+E” was defo dropped.

dieseldave:
IIRC, that was the way of it for a short time around 2004/5

Since staged testing was introduced AFAIK you’ve always been able to go straight to class 1 (CE) on completion of the C.

mrpj:

dieseldave:

Since staged testing was introduced AFAIK you’ve always been able to go straight to class 1 (CE) on completion of the C.

nope, when it first came out that you had to do Cat C, then C+E, you had to have the C for at least 12 months before you could go for C+E, that way, it got the new driver some experience of heavier vehicles before they were alllowed let loose with a full 44 tonne truck

had that system in place for a couple of years, then they changed it to as soon as you ge your full C licence back, you can go for C+E

and now, they have changed it again so you can go for it at 18 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

shuttlespanker:

mrpj:

dieseldave:

nope, when it first came out that you had to do Cat C, then C+E, you had to have the C for at least 12 months before you could go for C+E, that way, it got the new driver some experience of heavier vehicles before they were alllowed let loose with a full 44 tonne truck

had that system in place for a couple of years, then they changed it to as soon as you ge your full C licence back, you can go for C+E

and now, they have changed it again so you can go for it at 18 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yes, you’re spot-on Rob. :smiley:

The idea of the one-year gap between getting a “C” licence before you could go on to do “C+E” came in at about the same time as the original two-part LGV theory test (Multi-choice + Hazard Perception) and the voluntary register of LGV instructors.

ok how about this then :-

I took a motorcycle test inc. theory test to allow me to ride any bike i choose. i applied and got a provisional cat c1, c and c+e and passed those courses — i’ve never driven a car in my 37yr existence but i’ve been driving class I for nearly 10yrs and i’m still not legally allowed to drive a car !!!

foxy stars:
ok how about this then :-

I took a motorcycle test inc. theory test to allow me to ride any bike i choose. i applied and got a provisional cat c1, c and c+e and passed those courses — i’ve never driven a car in my 37yr existence but i’ve been driving class I for nearly 10yrs and i’m still not legally allowed to drive a car !!!

If you have CE on your licence then all the categories below that including B (car) are also valid

thanks for that ROG I always presumed that cos i’ve never taken a test in car that i was still not allowed to drive one — thankyou for the clarification :smiley: