A few oldies from uttoxeter

was a good day out apart from the weather (absolutley [zb] it down). so heres a couple of photos for you. :laughing:

jon

couple more

jn

thanks for thepictures,am I now allowed to put my christmass wishes
out,yes ,great ,One FORD-TRANSCONTINENTAL ;THANK YOU;

Good pics,some nice classic motors there.

Good picā€™s :smiley:

Nice Pair :smiley:

of Transcons

nice pics

My favouriteā€™s the 88, but the Kew Dodge, the Knocker, Mandator and Foden all bring fond memories. As for the Contractor, great looking motor but never realised that the cab was pure Redline (ex BLMC) until I had to spend a night in a sleeper cabbed version. Not comfy :frowning: .

Although I never drove one, didnā€™t own a cloth cap, greatcoat and muffler, I well remember all the BRS trunkers in their Bristols up and down the land.

And the Transcons? Thought they were the bees knees when first out (at the same time as those big Bedford TMs), but never got to drive one until it was well past its best and there were others more attractive in the fleet. Apparently my ex-boss here majored on them in a big way and the older hands remember them with great enthusiasm.

Thanks for the memories Jon.

Salut, David.

Spardo:
My favouriteā€™s the 88, but the Kew Dodge, the Knocker, Mandator and Foden all bring fond memories. As for the Contractor, great looking motor but never realised that the cab was pure Redline (ex BLMC) until I had to spend a night in a sleeper cabbed version. Not comfy :frowning: .
Salut, David.

If I may be pedantic, itā€™s actually the LAD cab (Leyland-Albion-Dodge), not the Redline (also known as the G-cab, and which was fitted to late model Scammell/Unipower tractors)

One problem with the Mandators and the Mercuries was that they did have a long chassis, well they did at our place and in wet weather the topic of discussion was not night heaters or air con but slipping and sliding and that was before the days we had a blue air line.

240 Gardner:
[

If I may be pedantic, itā€™s actually the LAD cab (Leyland-Albion-Dodge), not the Redline (also known as the G-cab, and which was fitted to late model Scammell/Unipower tractors)

I waited a bit before replying in case someone else came in to contradict you. Should have known better.
The one I slept in was parked in Econofreightā€™s Thornaby yard in '79 and it was my ā€˜digsā€™ for the night while my new Daf 3300 was in for service (I was based at Leicester but all wagons were bought through head officeā€™s local dealership).

It was very cramped and I could have sworn it was a Redline but thinking back it could well have been an LAD. Strange though because Iā€™d had plenty of experience with LAD Leylands, Albions, and Dodges.

Salut, David.

Peak Truck Show 2006 012.jpg
Peak Truck Show 2006 003.jpg
PEAK TRUCK SHOW2 2004.jpg
Peak Truck Show 2006 001.jpg
PEAK TRUCK SHOW 9 ANGUS 2003.JPGA few

PEAK TRUCK SHOW 10 2003.JPG

Spardo:

Although I never drove one, didnā€™t own a cloth cap, greatcoat and muffler, I well remember all the BRS trunkers in their Bristols up and down the land.

And the Transcons? Thought they were the bees knees when first out (at the same time as those big Bedford TMs), but never got to drive one until it was well past its best and there were others more attractive in the fleet. Apparently my ex-boss here majored on them in a big way and the older hands remember them with great enthusiasm.

Thanks for the memories Jon.

Salut, David.

Heanor Haulage had a Contractor unit that they put a third axle on,they also re cabbed it with a Volvo F88 or F89 cab,looked well if my memory serves me correctly.

David

I donā€™t see a Knocker silencer.

Hiyaā€¦ere would have a Perkins in wouldnā€™t it. the single head lights give it away. the maxiload was strokers
they had wide wings and twin headlights.my uncle had some with Perkins they was 14 tonners the maxiload was 16 ton
John

Pronounced ā€œUchitterā€ in the Potteries :wink:

PS My fave is the E reg Commer - little beauty

Bamfords 3.jpg
Bamfords 2.jpg
Bamfords 1.jpg

Going back a bit now.I wonder if anybody remembers this co.P Wurburton of Uttoxeter.During the war he had a Leyland Cub and Badger a Foden and a Leyland Octopus.My uncle Bill used to drive the Cub and did London a few times during the war and rumour has it he had to tie the cab up with wire having been caught in an air raid.After the war c1946 he bought a Dennis Jubilant,a Dennis Max,a Thornycroft Sturdy Diesel and a Proctor.Later on he bought two Commer insulated box vans for delivering to butchers in the area. The Jubilant was sold to a chap called Hedley Shaw at Sandiacre (Notts.) LRF 401 and then I saw it with a fairground co.Here are a few pics of him and some of the motors working out of Bamfords in Uttoxeter

Bamfords 4.jpg

Pure gold Mr Rastone,my favourite photos these period black and whites,thank you very much for sharing,ta,Pete

pete smith:
Pure gold Mr Rastone,my favourite photos these period black and whites,thank you very much for sharing,ta,Pete

Here are two more.The Armstrong Siddeley is a car converted to an ambulance during the war.The body was never used but the van did quite a bit of work on deliveries etc. Note the battery on the running board. The Morris Commercial was an ex Bankā€™s Brewery lorry