6 days working

Hi,

I started at 3pm on Sunday and worked through to 12pm (Midday) Friday. Took all my proper rest periods etc

Even though it is working on 6 different days, I will still be having over 48 hours weekly rest. Is that ok to do continuously week after week?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefie:
Hi,

I started at 3pm on Sunday and worked through to 12pm (Midday) Friday. Took all my proper rest periods etc

Even though it is working on 6 different days, I will still be having over 48 hours weekly rest. Is that ok to do continuously week after week?

Thanks

YES

The EU regs work on hours not days
Nowhere in the regs does it use the word days so I suggest drivers do not do so either as it confuses things

You worked from 3pm sun to noon fri and restarting 3pm sun so that is 117 hours between weekly rests (max is 144) and you have a regular weekly rest of 51 hours (minimum for regular weekly rest is 45)

Thanks mate.

I thought that was the case. I get a daily rate no matter how many hours I work so looks like a good earner [emoji106]

theres nothing stopping you doing more than 6 shifts if you time left within your 144 hours

You could legally work 365 days a year if you wanted (e.g. commence weekly rest every Saturday at 0100 and start again 2200 Sunday)

Paul Gavan:
theres nothing stopping you doing more than 6 shifts if you time left within your 144 hours

Really?
I always believed that, " After no more than six consecutive periods of duty, a driver must take a minimum weekly rest of 24 hrs"

As always, I’m happy to be corrected.

Old John:

Paul Gavan:

Really?
I always believed that, " After no more than six consecutive periods of duty, a driver must take a minimum weekly rest of 24 hrs"

And as I understand it you are correct Old John…

As written @ transportsfriend.org/hours/rest.html

Transport’s friend:
Weekly Rest Periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.
A regular weekly rest period is a period of at least 45 consecutive hours.

And how it’s written on the official .gov site @ gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours is…

.gov bods:
1.5. Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.

So I interpret that as meaning “EITHER” six consecutive shifts “OR” 144 hrs
Whichever is reached first…

Old John:

Paul Gavan:

Really?

Not the legislation but the guidance is here:

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -rules.pdf

The classify it as 6 24 hour periods so: 144 hours.

Harry is right. It’s technically possible to do silly shifts.

How long is 6 x 24 hours ? = 144 hours
As long as the driver takes the required daily rest periods etc then they can use that 144 hours as they please

Being a little silly this is legal - 8 shifts in 144 hours or 6x24 periods
weekly rest
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 10 hrs
weekly rest

Given that 6 periods of 24hrs and 144 hrs are the same thing ie 24x6=144, I stand by my original interpretation.
I think that, as ROG says above,that the measure of 144 hrs is to demonstrate that our time is not measured in calendar days but in any random period of 24 hrs from the time that our shift commences.
This is why it is perfectly possible to be working on seven consecutive CALENDAR days if you are having a reduced weekly rest period.

I think !!

I often start on a Sunday and finish Saturday, also done quite a few 7 shift weeks, all legally

How’s come this is still being debated.

The law is very clear, you have 6 x 24 hour periods to work from putting card in at the beginning of your week to when you must stop for a weekend rest period.

As long as you comply with all driving, break, rest periods etc within that 144 hours then no one cares a jot how many periods of work you started.

I’ve worked in national and international fridge work for over 25 years which has always involved working some very weird hours and in all that time no enforcement agency, domestic or foreign has ever said a word about doing 7, 8 or even once 9 shifts within the 144 hours.

I have worked for companies that have been investigated by VOSA and ended up in court for tacho fraud along with many other colleagues. The one thing VOSA didn’t prosecute for was more than 6 shifts in a week, know why? Because it’s perfectly legal.

It’s so good to see the DCPC is working well and we now have an industry staffed by drivers who all know the rules and regulations so well. The government must be proud of that achievement :unamused:

ROG:

As long as the driver takes the required daily rest periods etc then they can use that 144 hours as they please

weekly rest
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 10 hrs
weekly rest

Hmmm like you said, a little silly indeed, but I follow what you’re saying.

Thanks ROG.

Reef:

ROG:

weekly rest
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 9 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 10 hrs
weekly rest

Hmmm like you said, a little silly indeed, but I follow what you’re saying.

Thanks ROG.

Still not as silly as what you can do on Domestic rules… :open_mouth: :grimacing: