Drivers hours question (45 hrs weekly rest)

I’ve seen a lot of drivers mention working/driving for 6 days a week.

Can somebody give me an example of how this is possible if it’s continuous, i.e. week in week out? I’ve been toying with the idea of working some Saturday’s but with early starts Monday, it seems impossible because the Mon-Fri work is routine so I’d never get the chance to make up a reduced weekly rest within 3 weeks.

Or is it simply not possible for a standard Mon-Fri job to work the Saturdays too, under EU drivers hours?

I’ve read up on it and it’s pretty clear, I’m posting this to ask if I’m missing anything obvious?! Cheers guys.

Javiatrix:
I’ve seen a lot of drivers mention working/driving for 6 days a week.

Can somebody give me an example of how this is possible if it’s continuous, i.e. week in week out? I’ve been toying with the idea of working some Saturday’s but with early starts Monday, it seems impossible because the Mon-Fri work is routine so I’d never get the chance to make up a reduced weekly rest within 3 weeks.

Or is it simply not possible for a standard Mon-Fri job to work the Saturdays too, under EU drivers hours?

I’ve read up on it and it’s pretty clear, I’m posting this to ask if I’m missing anything obvious?! Cheers guys.

You can only work six days every week if you can get a rest period of at-least 45 consecutive hours every second week.

Some people would be able to work six shifts every week because of their work times, take someone who works say 10:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday then works a short shift on Saturday until 13:00, from 13:00 Saturday to 10:00 Monday is 45 hours so it could be done every week.

That’s just one very simple example but shows how it can be done if your normal working hours allow it, which for most drivers they don’t.

It really all boils down to your usual working hours and the hours you want to work on Saturday :wink:

all depend.from you start time Monday and finish time ,Friday,Saturday.if you had week 1 full 45 hours ,so in week 2 you can taked 24+ only.but in this situation week after drivers must have full 45 again.
I know one one company where drivers work not long shift ,about 8 hours.so drivers who normaly start monday PM,work Monday to friday,finish Friday about 9 pm,taked 9 hours rest and start at Saturday 6 am.full legaly everyweek if have interess

We’d need to know more about your hours to be able to advise.

Just as an example, if you did 8am to 6pm every Mon-Fri you could then do Saturday morning from 3am to 11am every week and still squeeze a 45 hour weekly rest in.

Watch out for your 48 hour average though :bulb:

I do 12.5 Mon 12.5 sat 12.5 Sun 7am till 8.30pm excluding breaks of non drive work. Equal 37.5 hours. Tue 9 hours drive. .wed and thus and Friday days off. Could i fit in another drive day on the wed thus or Friday and still have enough rest.

A driver could work on ever calendar day of every week for years without being illegal

Start 2300 sunday and finish 0200 Saturday = 45 hours rest every week

Remember to officially record all the other work for the usual job when driving at any time in a foxed week

Easiest way to do that is to use separate analogue cards - one for each day worked - with name date start and finish time on each
Bin cards after they reach 29 days

Andrejs:
if you had week 1 full 45 hours ,so in week 2 you can taked 24+ only.but in this situation week after drivers must have full 45 again.

You can actually reduce your regular weekly rest (less than 45 hrs) on 2 consecutive weeks. This is possible if you had 45 hrs + the week before you reduce and 45 hrs + the week after the 2nd reduced weekly rest.
e.g
Week 1 : 45 hours (or more) ‘regular weekly rest’.
Week 2 : 24 - 44.59 hours ‘reduced weekly rest’.
Week 3 : 24 - 44.59 hours ‘reduced weekly rest’.
Week 4 : 45 hours (or more) ‘regular weekly rest’.

This is possible as :
week 1 - week 2 include a ‘regular weekly rest’ period and
week 3 - week 4 include a ‘regular weekly rest’ period.

Just remember to pay back reduced weekly rest before the end of the 3rd week.

It says ERF not RAF:

Andrejs:
if you had week 1 full 45 hours ,so in week 2 you can taked 24+ only.but in this situation week after drivers must have full 45 again.

You can actually reduce your regular weekly rest (less than 45 hrs) on 2 consecutive weeks. This is possible if you had 45 hrs + the week before you reduce and 45 hrs + the week after the 2nd reduced weekly rest.
e.g

This is possible as :

who is said this for you.where you been today??in what Tesco waiting room■■?
what you post???simply week 1-45
week 2 -24+
week 3 -not less for 45.

some time can work plenty shift without weekly rest in 12 calendar day.

It says ERF not RAF:

Andrejs:

e.g

This is possible as :

Sorry but that’s not correct.

In certain circumstances it is possible to legally have reduced weekly rest periods on 2 consecutive weeks, but the scenario you’ve quoted is not necessarily legal and if you was to repeat that work pattern in weeks 5 to 8 it would definitely be illegal.

tachograph:

It says ERF not RAF:

Andrejs:

e.g

This is possible as :

Sorry but that’s not correct.

In certain circumstances it is possible to legally have reduced weekly rest periods on 2 consecutive weeks, but the scenario you’ve quoted is not necessarily legal and if you was to repeat that work pattern in weeks 5 to 8 it would definitely be illegal.

I know that you can not have reduced weekly rest on 2 consecutive weeks (this would be if you had a rolling fortnight). If you do reduce weekly rest and have Week 1 and Week 2 as a fixed block and Week 3 and Week 4 as a seperate fixed block you have not reduced your weekly rest on 2 consecutive weeks.
Thats how I’ve interpreted the rule anyway !
Would like clarification though ?

How about weeks 2 + 3 - where is the regular 45 for those 2 consecutive weeks ?

Its any two consecutive weeks per the regs so that’s weeks 1+2 2+3 3+4 4+5 etc etc

ROG:

Its any two consecutive weeks per the regs so that’s weeks 1+2 2+3 3+4 4+5 etc etc

If it’s any 2 consecutive weeks can I not have week 1 - week 2 as one lot of consecutive weeks then week 3 - week 4 as another consecutive 2 weeks ?

It says ERF not RAF:

ROG:

If it’s any 2 consecutive weeks can I not have week 1 - week 2 as one lot of consecutive weeks then week 3 - week 4 as another consecutive 2 weeks ?

Yes but also weeks 2+3 are also 2 consecutive weeks and you cannot simply choose to ignore that fact

ROG:

It says ERF not RAF:

ROG:

Yes but also weeks 2+3 are also 2 consecutive weeks and you cannot simply choose to ignore that fact

Even though it’s ‘ANY’ 2 consecutive weeks ?
If it stated it was a rolling 2 week period I’d understand what you are saying but it doesn’t.
I would not choose to ignore the fact that weeks 2+3 are 2 consecutive weeks but as you can use ANY 2 week period I use week 1+2 then week 3+4.

It says ERF not RAF:

ROG:

It says ERF not RAF:

ROG:

If it stated it was a rolling 2 week period I’d understand what you are saying but it doesn’t.
I would not choose to ignore the fact that weeks 2+3 are 2 consecutive weeks but as you can use ANY 2 week period I use week 1+2 then week 3+4.

Then a VOSA officer can choose to use weeks 2+3 or 4+5 etc as their ANY two weeks

ROG:

It says ERF not RAF:

ROG:

It says ERF not RAF:

ROG:

Then a VOSA officer can choose to use weeks 2+3 or 4+5 etc as their ANY two weeks

And we all know they’re always right !!!
I just want to know whether we are just interpreting this differently due to the way the regs are written, or does it actually state somewhere that the way I do it is wrong ■■
It is obvious most other people on here have weekly rest reductions every other week. I may not interpret this like you but does that mean I am wrong ?

The regulations say:

In any two consecutive weeks a driver shall take at least:
– two regular weekly rest periods, or
– one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly
rest period of at least 24 hours. However, the reduction
shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest
taken en bloc before the end of the third week following
the week in question.

In your scenario week 1 has a regular weekly rest period, weeks 2 and 3 both have reduced weekly rest periods, then week 4 has a regular weekly rest period.

Weeks 2 and 3 are consecutive weeks so one of them must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period.

Sorry I don’t have time to go into more detail but the gardens calling :smiley:

It says ERF not RAF:
e.g

I’ve done it like this and tachomasters has never questioned it.