7 day week

Hi all I started at 12.00 on Sunday office has given me a job to Ireland which involves running in Saturday morning should be home for 8.o clock in the morning I said I can’t do it so they changed it no problem. The lad who is doing it says I can do it as long as I’m back for 12 on Saturday morning as it is six 24 hour shifts in tried telling him 24 hours runs from midnight but he won’t listen can somebody tell me who is correct if I’m wrong I will gladly apologise to him

He is correct your shifts are 24 hour blocks not days.

The regs deliberately do not mention DAYS

The regs are done by HOURS

Max 144 HOURS between weekly rests

A driver could work on 7 calendar days every week …
Start sunday 11pm and finish saturday 2am
… and have a regular 45 weekly rest every week

ROG:

No but it does state 6 x 24 hours periods in some publications, which I think has though a process similar to Chinese whispers, ended up being 6 days between weekly rest periods. Hence the confusion.

You can do it no problem as long as you are back and off the card for the same time you started on the Sunday in your case 12:00 as it is 6 24 hour periods from the Sunday.
A driver can actually work 14 days in a row before having a 45 hour off by working the 6 24 hour periods say Sun-Sat taking a 24 hour off and starting again on the Sunday and working through to Saturday again.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
You can do it no problem as long as you are back and off the card for the same time you started on the Sunday in your case 12:00 as it is 6 24 hour periods from the Sunday.
A driver can actually work 14 days in a row before having a 45 hour off by working the 6 24 hour periods say Sun-Sat taking a 24 hour off and starting again on the Sunday and working through to Saturday again.

You can work every day and still get 45 hrs off, for example finish 02.00 Sat start 23.00 Sun .

Oops just noticed Rog said something similar :blush:

muckles:

ROG:

No but it does state 6 x 24 hours periods in some publications, which I think has though a process similar to Chinese whispers, ended up being 6 days between weekly rest periods. Hence the confusion.

I agree it would have been better if it said 144 hours instead of 6x24

Thanks everybody I’ll hold my hands up and apologise tommorow

bald bloke:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

You can work every day and still get 45 hrs off, for example finish 02.00 Sat start 23.00 Sun .

Jezus ■■■■■■ christ. … what is it with people wanting to work every day, all day, to make their boss a few extra pounds.■■? Really?? Working 14 days on the trot?? Morons. .

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Jezus [zb] christ. … what is it with people wanting to work every day, all day, to make their boss a few extra pounds.■■? Really?? Working 14 days on the trot?? Morons. .

I don’t think anybody said they wanted to work everyday, it was just an example to show how the regs worked.

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Jezus [zb] christ. … what is it with people wanting to work every day, all day, to make their boss a few extra pounds.■■? Really?? Working 14 days on the trot?? Morons. .

I don’t think anybody said they wanted to work everyday, it was just an example to show how the regs worked.

Well excuse me, but the op states that his gaffer expects him to work seven days, and he is going to apologise for wondering if that was right…

And there are plenty of people here who jump on the chance to show how his boss is right, and he can work seven days a week.

It would make an interesting aside, to get a ball park figure of the pay for this job.

the nodding donkey:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:

Well excuse me, but the op states that his gaffer expects him to work seven days, and he is going to apologise for wondering if that was right…

And there are plenty of people here who jump on the chance to show how his boss is right, and he can work seven days a week.

It would make an interesting aside, to get a ball park figure of the pay for this job.

Sorry just read the OP’s post again and see what you mean.

Oddly enough we had a driver questioning this same thing yesterday. That was after he stated that you could not work 2 x 6 day weeks back to back. Obviously he was educated on both counts but probably still doesn’t really understand why he was wrong

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

It can be a big help to the lads doing continental work to be able to work 7 days a week. It can mean the difference of getting on the ferry back home or weekending away over the water.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

It can be a big help to the lads doing continental work to be able to work 7 days a week. It can mean the difference of getting on the ferry back home or weekending away over the water.

I know that :slight_smile: . Of course if you are only driving for two or three days between destinations the regulations are probably less well suited, because use an extra hour or two, with proper spread out rest periods and breaks would not be dangerous. What is dangerous is using the EU regs to maximise your driving hours in the UK, add on top of that loading and unloading, waiting, traffic jams, and COMMUTING BACK AND FORTH (add a few hours to the week) and using EU regs for UK work is stupid. But as long as there are plenty of drivers willing to work 15 hour days for a pittance, that won’t change. Look at the cluster ■■■■ that is POA…

the nodding donkey:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

I know that :slight_smile: . Of course if you are only driving for two or three days between destinations the regulations are probably less well suited, because use an extra hour or two, with proper spread out rest periods and breaks would not be dangerous. What is dangerous is using the EU regs to maximise your driving hours in the UK, add on top of that loading and unloading, waiting, traffic jams, and COMMUTING BACK AND FORTH (add a few hours to the week) and using EU regs for UK work is stupid. But as long as there are plenty of drivers willing to work 15 hour days for a pittance, that won’t change. Look at the cluster [zb] that is POA…

When I first read the post (not very well as it turns out :blush: ) I saw Ireland and just thought he was trying to get home for the weekend. And I use it for something similar, it allows me to work at a race track and then get back home.

But I agree for UK work it should happen, no need for it. 5 days run in on Saturday morning, only if Friday goes smelly.

I think you will find that it is not 144 hours but 6x24 periods-each p
eriod starting when you start your shift- therefore 6 shifts between each weekly rest either reduced or full.

Beau Nydel:
I think you will find that it is not 144 hours but 6x24 periods-each p
eriod starting when you start your shift- therefore 6 shifts between each weekly rest either reduced or full.

A weekly rest period shall start no later than at the end of six 24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest period”, in this respect a 24 hour period is not reset after a rest period like a “period of 24 hours” is, so six 24 hour periods is 144 hours and that’s how long you’ve got before legally needing to start a new weekly rest period.

If it meant 144 hours it would say 144 hours. It says 6 24 hour periods and a 24hour period starts when your shift starts!

If it meant 144 hours it would say 144 hours but it doesn’t. It says 6 24 hour periods and a 24 period starts when you start your shift hence 6 shifts between weekly rest periods. 144 hours would be if you maxed your day each day.