45 minute break

Do you guys get paid for your 45 minute break??
I have only held my cat c licence for two months now and i was lucky enough to get a job and start the same day as i took my cpc (thank god i passed!!)
After getting over the initial exitement of it all i have been checking through my wage slips and worked out that i have been deducted 45 mins for my break everyday and if i done ten hours in a day and had two 45 min breaks they have deducted an hour and a half!

Now the 45 mins i can live but if i do ten hours, which is only an hours overtime i have to do 1 hour 45 mins,
Does this sound fair to you as i think im being taken for a bit of a mug :blush:

Dont get me wrong im very happy to have a job when i know others find it so hard but i want to get it right from the start and not get walked all over!
Thanks in advance guys :smiley:

no its not fair, i left a job earlier this year mainly cos i was ill but also cos of the wage. it was very low and also if you did more than 12 hours the deducted another 45 min breal cos the lads on ridgids were moaning that it wasnt fair. crap i know but tough thats the way it is.

I only ever put one 45 min break on my time sheet. If they want me to do a 10 then it’s them making me sit another 45 minutes, not my choice

the agency I work for (well did if work doesn’t pick up soon) took the first 45min off me but paid for the over 45 min, but the work they send me on in 2 years I have only ever needed 2 breaks in one shift

it strikes me that everyone everywhere is ripping off the working man to make the poor poorer and the rich, richer - I agree you work your nuts off only to have to give money back to the people your working for, just ain’t right is it

ebabes:
it strikes me that everyone everywhere is ripping off the working man to make the poor poorer and the rich, richer - I agree you work your nuts off only to have to give money back to the people your working for, just ain’t right is it

Very true,
Its got to get better some day (we got to keep telling ourselves that anyway!)
Thanks for all the comments guys, I just keep reminding myself that i love driving the lorries and it keeps me going,
Worrying about hours and rest breaks
Worrying about traffic and constantly being stuck on the m6 and the bloody diversions!!
Worrying about the transport managers knowledge (or lack of!)
Worrying about where ya can and cant use fuel cards! (getting the hang of it now!) and all the other worries :open_mouth:
I think the diesel fumes have messed with my mind! after all this im still going to book my class 1 in a couple of months so i must love it or like i say, could be the diesel! :smiley:

Most jobs will deduct 1 break off you, of 30, 45 or 60 mins.

Rarely will they ever deduct more, I’d tell them only 1 break deducted or you’re off or bringing truck back before you require another break.

Some still pay you straight through, but these are getting rare now.

I’m in two minds on this, firstly I think only the driver should be the judge of whether he will be fit for duty after a reduced rest period, but it’s a tough world out there at the moment, the company’s thriving, maybe temporarily, maybe it’s the start of something good for them, it makes perfect sense for them to try & get things done with current staff/vehicle numbers at the moment, if it continues then they will need to add drivers/vehicles, but they could be waiting to see if it lasts before making that decision, sure they could hire in agency drivers & rent lorries, but even that may not be an option if their O licence is full, I think if I was in this position I would ask a few questions, find out why/what/how/who/when etc, I’d also let them know that I would be far more flexible if they asked, not told :wink:

newmercman:
I’m in two minds on this, firstly I think only the driver should be the judge of whether he will be fit for duty after a reduced rest period

A little confused (or are you doing a ‘ROG’ ?) :wink: :laughing: as this was on about a 10 hour driving day with 2 X 45 min breaks :confused:

Or did you mean to post this in this thread :question:

Its even worse when they phone you up and are on your break and ask what you are doing, I said having my break, you are in a van you dont have to have a break, you take 45 minutes off me every day I get paid to work no pay no work was the answer. From that point I wouldnt answer the phone when I was having my lunch.

This could be a simple wages problem, maybe the girl who checks your timesheets has not had it explained or they are using a computer programme to read the cards.

I would have a word with the TM or Boss, explain that it actually costs you money to do this, dont fall out, ask them if they would work longer for less and laugh as you do it.

Fortunately for you it can only happen 2 days per week so if they refuse just grab an extra 25 minutes on the other 3 days.sorted simple :stuck_out_tongue:

I have always been fortunate in being able to manage my own time and it is me who decides whether I do a 9.01 drive or reduce my daily or even weekly rest periods.

Wheel Nut:
This could be a simple wages problem, maybe the girl who checks your timesheets has not had it explained or they are using a computer programme to read the cards.

I would have a word with the TM or Boss, explain that it actually costs you money to do this, dont fall out, ask them if they would work longer for less and laugh as you do it.

Wise words wheel nut,
I will do exactly that as like you say it could be an honest mistake but from other drivers comments at least i get a bit of satisfaction knowing is not just me that gets treated like ■■■!! :laughing:

likewise they dont pay the first 45 but any subsequent breaks they do…it does make sense really that durring your working day to enable you to rest at your time and then be paid if things get out of hand on their time.
then its right the employer meets the cost of infringing on the personal time of the employee

We pay right through all breaks.

albion:
We pay right through all breaks.

There are still some good employers left in the world, my hope is restored :smiley:

We get paid by the digi tacho. I regularly have to have two breaks and end up driving less than nine hours some days. I try and take my breaks as close to 4.5 hrs as possible but some days it might be less than 4 and then I have to take second one and therefore do 90 minutes for no pay.

waddy640:
We get paid by the digi tacho. I regularly have to have two breaks and end up driving less than nine hours some days. I try and take my breaks as close to 4.5 hrs as possible but some days it might be less than 4 and then I have to take second one and therefore do 90 minutes for no pay.

That was a bad contract you agreed to … bet you want agree to one like that again !!

Little legal point. If you are on a break, “you should not be doing any work” so you are not working for nothing.

Most (reasonable) companies deduct only 1x 45 minute break per day.

My last employer (Driving Hell Logistics) deducted 1x 45 minute break per day even if you took 2. But due to being guaranteed 8 hours per day this meant doing 8.45 before overtime was paid :confused: So you tried to finished within 8 hours or dragged it out to 10. Oh and our sister depot in the midlands, didn’t get any breaks deducted :cry: hay ho :exclamation:

ROG:

waddy640:

That was a bad contract you agreed to … bet you want agree to one like that again !!

If there is nothing else then you accept that or don’t work.

Work Shy:
Little legal point. If you are on a break, “you should not be doing any work” so you are not working for nothing.

Most (reasonable) companies deduct only 1x 45 minute break per day.

I believe there is something written in employment law about that. someone will be able to find it or refute it :wink: