Breaks

I had a row with another one of our drivers yesterday after he left a drop 15 minutes in front of me and arrived 15 minutes after me back at the yard (meaning I had to reload and do an extra drop than him). Not only is he a lazy ■■■■■■■ but he has a reputation of shirking and “playing the system”.
When I enquired where he’d been he said that the minimum break was in fact 60 minutes and not 45 minutes a I KNOW is the law.

Note - I had already had a 15 minute break earlier in my shift and I only required a minimum 30 min break.

Because of this the earlier 15 minutes departure and subsequent 15 minute arrival later he finished at 5pm and I finished at 8pm. (I’m not paid OT after 5:30).

I know I am right but please reassure me that it is a minimum of 45 break after 4:30 driving.

I’m off to see management Monday to sort this ■■■■■■ out

TFI Friday

TFI Friday:
please reassure me that it is a minimum of 45 break after 4:30 driving.

U R RIGHT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

But he is more canny than you :wink:

TFI Friday:

dont do that mate, the rest of your fellow workers will take a dim view - find another way :wink:

ps i know how you feel - we have a few lazy ■■■■■ at my depot too :frowning:

We only have 4 drivers and this guy is the only one that tries his best to get out of doing work. the rest of us pull our weight and club together when it is busy. We only move steel from birmingham into the black ciountry so it’s not a hard job. The other two drivers agree that I should say something.

some firms insist on 50 mins,1hr instead of a 45, firm i worked for told us we had to have a hour as we were getting so many infringements for 44 mins + amount of secs, in the end they said everyone had to have a hour.
as for your ■■■■■■ of a mate :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: , sounds like a willy old fox to me :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ady1:
some firms insist on 50 mins,1hr instead of a 45, firm i worked for told us we had to have a hour as we were getting so many infringements for 44 mins + amount of secs, in the end they said everyone had to have a hour.
as for your ■■■■■■ of a mate :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: , sounds like a willy old fox to me :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s the problem Bud, I’ve been doing this job 8 yrs and this kid is 25 and been doing the job 4 months and its his first driving job. He’s a proper knob. The guy left Birmingham at 05:30 Thursday to go to Uxbridge with one drop and got back at 16:30, apparently he was “stuck in traffic”. He must be the unluckiest driver out there, he’s always stuck in bloody traffic!! :open_mouth:

TFI Friday:
The other two drivers agree that I should say something.

Wrong! All three of you should say something - at the same time!

(Otherwise you become the [zb]stirrer)

Stan

Play him at his own game fella…you have 60min rest instead of 45 :smiley:
Do your vehicles have trackers? if so get your gaffer to have a look where and when
this guy was stuck in traffic.
Do you have analogue tachos? again get them to check his chart to see when he was stuck
in traffic.

Like Stan says all three should say something.

glad you dont work with me someone timing what i do i would not be too impressed :grimacing:

malcolmj:
glad you dont work with me someone timing what i do i would not be too impressed :grimacing:

I wouldn’t mind normally but this guy had done two loads to my three. We earn the same money but I seem to do at least 4 loads a week more than him.

I will play him at his own gaame this week and let you know what happens

TFI Friday:
I had a row with another one of our drivers yesterday after he left a drop 15 minutes in front of me and arrived 15 minutes after me back at the yard (meaning I had to reload and do an extra drop than him). Not only is he a lazy [zb] but he has a reputation of shirking and “playing the system”.
When I enquired where he’d been he said that the minimum break was in fact 60 minutes and not 45 minutes a I KNOW is the law.

Note - I had already had a 15 minute break earlier in my shift and I only required a minimum 30 min break.

Because of this the earlier 15 minutes departure and subsequent 15 minute arrival later he finished at 5pm and I finished at 8pm. (I’m not paid OT after 5:30).

I know I am right but please reassure me that it is a minimum of 45 break after 4:30 driving.

TFI Friday

hi mate do you have a contract of employment and if you do does it say you get a break and how long is it just a thought some contracts say you have a one hour unpaid break if you have and it says one hour you have one hour solves the problem

Most places let you have an hour for dinner unpaid/paid plus 15 mins am and 15 mins pm double what your taking now, way i see it, its job and knock, try that, better than doing an extra 3 hours.
Just because the law is 45 mins, it doesnt mean your not entitled to more.
Oh and if i wasnt getting payed i would tell them to do one, talking to a driver this week they get payed for 50 hours max no overtime, one of there drivers had done 52 by thursday, tried to give him a job for friday he says sorry done me hours see ya monday.

Stanley Knife:

TFI Friday:
The other two drivers agree that I should say something.

Wrong! All three of you should say something - at the same time!

(Otherwise you become the [zb]stirrer)

Stan

What Stan said. Strange how often you walk into the gaffer’s office mob-handed, only to find out when you turn to close the door that you’re on your jack!

Have you tried having a word with him, maybe giving him a copy of the regs. If it’s his first driving job he obviously doesn’t understand the ways and means of doing things.

TFI Friday:
I had a row with another one of our drivers yesterday after he left a drop 15 minutes in front of me and arrived 15 minutes after me back at the yard (meaning I had to reload and do an extra drop than him). Not only is he a lazy [zb] but he has a reputation of shirking and “playing the system”.

TFI Friday

Well,Sorry,but he’s right,as he splitted the Break to a other Pattern as You,but the Boss may like you more :grimacing:

I would have thought if he’s only doing half the work of you and the others i.e. 2 loads a day to your 4 your boss will soon pick up on it
Might be best just to leave him be and give him enough rope to hang himself

I always found that if one wagon is earning less than the others it’s soon picked up on

just leave it mate, he’ll come undone by his own accord, id be surprised nowadays to see a firm that wasnt working off a KPI system to break down productivity of each driver and vehicle, as long as youre doing the right thing thats all you need to worry about, if you go telling teacher youve only let yourself down.

If this driver is a newbie, he could be putting all waiting and tipping times down as other work, not rest. If you and the other drivers do the same, see what happens.
He could also have the gift of the gab. I’ve known quite a few drivers like that and they seem to get away with murder, making life harder for everyone else.

TFI Friday:

ady1:

That’s the problem Bud, I’ve been doing this job 8 yrs and this kid is 25 and been doing the job 4 months and its his first driving job. He’s a proper knob. The guy left Birmingham at 05:30 Thursday to go to Uxbridge with one drop and got back at 16:30, apparently he was “stuck in traffic”. He must be the unluckiest driver out there, he’s always stuck in bloody traffic!! :open_mouth:

You’ve been doing the job 8 years, and you’re on here wanting reassurance that after 4:30hrs driving it’s a 45 minutes break! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m not condoning this 25 year old “kid’s” behaviour, but know wonder he’s playing you like a fool!

don’t grass him up because although you’re technicaly correct he’s morally right. Many companies dock 1 hour pay for your break so if you only take 45 mins you’re working 15 mins for free.