Breaks

He may not actually be wrong. If when he split his break he took 30 minutes for the first part he would indeed then require a total of 60 minutes.

Sounds to me that the new guy has his head screwed on. Your firm don’t pay OT so he makes sure he doesn’t get conned into doing it, can’t really fault him for that. Perhaps if the other 3 drivers followed his example then they might just have to start paying OT.

Coffeeholic:
He may not actually be wrong. If when he split his break he took 30 minutes for the first part he would indeed then require a total of 60 minutes.

Sounds to me that the new guy has his head screwed on. Your firm don’t pay OT so he makes sure he doesn’t get conned into doing it, can’t really fault him for that. Perhaps if the other 3 drivers followed his example then they might just have to start paying OT.

Read this earlier and thought exactly the same.

Used to work in a place where you got paid 12 hours 06.00 to 18.00 and not a minute more unless you got held up and as you got 2 hours to get to the nearest drop and back every driver used to get back about half four and they couldn`t ask you to do any more.

This guys boss must be loving it, treat the drivers like muck and then have them stabbing each other in the back because they are all expected to do unpaid overtime and its odds on a boss of that ilk would take a full hour for your dinner.

I can`t get my head around this at all, work till 20.00 and only get paid till 17.30 and this happens often.

Must be a salary, never take a job that says salary as you can bet its saving the company a fortune but if your contract says 17.30 then he cant send you out if you have no chance of being finished.

IMO its your boss who needs reported as there must be something that protects you from this terrible exploitation .

All these companies have to pay for their diesel,pay for their tyres,pay for everything,why should they expect to get their drivers free ?

I’m off to see management Monday to sort this ■■■■■■ out

TFI Friday
[/quote]
GRASS, DUMMSIE DUMMS!!! the other driver must be a lot wiser than you then ey,

Not sure what I’d, but I’ve work with plenty of lazy tossers in my time, not much fun week after week when it’s only the 2 truckies who are putting the awning up and one isn’t pulling thier weight. It’s okay in a large company as it normally doesn’t affect you, but in a small company any extra work falls on those that work.
Okay so do what he does, where does that lead? The company gets less work done and in the end looks for savings or goes to the wall.

The only thing I would say in small companies those who don’t pull thier weight are easily spotted, even if you don’t think so. Then the boss just waits for the moment and they’re gone.

TFI Friday:
I had a row with another one of our drivers yesterday after he left a drop 15 minutes in front of me and arrived 15 minutes after me back at the yard (meaning I had to reload and do an extra drop than him). Not only is he a lazy [zb] but he has a reputation of shirking and “playing the system”.
When I enquired where he’d been he said that the minimum break was in fact 60 minutes and not 45 minutes a I KNOW is the law.

Note - I had already had a 15 minute break earlier in my shift and I only required a minimum 30 min break.

Because of this the earlier 15 minutes departure and subsequent 15 minute arrival later he finished at 5pm and I finished at 8pm. (I’m not paid OT after 5:30).

I know I am right but please reassure me that it is a minimum of 45 break after 4:30 driving.

I’m off to see management Monday to sort this ■■■■■■ out

TFI Friday

Hi TFI Friday, as you have explained the company only runs 4 trucks, so are you paid a bit extra to be the foreman driver? :question: If not why do feel it necessary to run to the management to complain about a colleague who isn’t doing anything illegal but just possibly doing what he was told the job entailed when he was taken on. Unless you were involved in the interview process how do you know what this ‘young upstart’ was told what he needed to achieve on a daily basis to fulfil his contract of employment :question: I suspect that’s the reality of the situation and more than likely you are feeling a bit ■■■■■■ off coz someone new to the game seems to be getting away with doing less work than you for the same pay :astonished: :astonished:
I would also suggest you tell your other workmates that one of them goes in to complain about this guy if they feel as strongly as you do, bet they don’t really and won’t be there to back you up as much as you think, also you should stop working OT for nothing that is unless you have some share in the company and ultimately you will benefit :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It appears to me that your employer is taking advantage of your work ethic and the way you have worked in the past so you are now unable to refuse to do the extra job but the ‘new lad’ has no problemin doing it because he has no reason to work OT for no pay and no-one can make him and why should they. I think from what you have posted you have made a rod for your own back mate and you shouldn’t be having a go at other drivers who don’t want to work for nothing, let the management/owner of the company sort it out it’s nowt to do with you and if this guy isn’t really pulling his weight he will soon be found out and up the road but IMHO in my experience I’m sure you will find that as soon as you start bad mouthing the people you have to work with, espescially in a small company, the less you will be trusted by them but if that’s what you want then you go for it :astonished: :unamused:
Regards
Dave Penn;

TFI Friday, I feel your pain.

I used to work with 2 other guys on 18 tonners. 2 of us were general haulage nationwide and the third was on local pallet network stuff.

The network guy used to come in at 6am and would be guaranteed to be done by 3.30pm but myself and the other GH guy worked god knows what hours. Heres the crappy bit, me and Mr local were on the same salary, yet Mr GH was on £25 more a week salary than me that he’d somehow ‘Negotiated’ himself. WTF? One does less hours and gets the same as me, the other does the same work and gets more dosh!!. Plenty of nobber bosses out there mate.

Keep Schtumm and make sure that nearer the end of the day, you have to take a suprise ■■■■ break. Let the other guy get back first and get some unpaid overtime. Trust me, when he sees that pulling his weight hurts less, it’ll change.

totally agree with you tfi
but its the stress and anger that sounds like thats getting to you over what is at the end of the day 15 mins.

if he is new then let time change his ways. There will come days too when he will want to finish just that bit earlier but at the moment what incentive is there, this time next year it will be a storm in a tea cup

Easy tiger Slow doooooooooooowwwn take yyyerrrrrrrrrrrr time knock 3 mph off urspeed have 1hr in breaks and dont rush when your loading or unloading then he will be the one shouting at the Gaffer then you can point out whats been going on

Just love the ones who want to be heroes and do the job faster than the next bloke and when the the gaffer gives em more work they start squealing.

im rarely in a hurry as when we get back there still more drops to do, what i do is stay at 50 (instead of at the limiter), take my time unloading ( i dont take the ■■■■ though as its building sites we visit), if someone wants at junctions or whatever let them out, for breaks i take a 20 minute break followed by 35 :slight_smile:

Listen TFI I work alongside those dudes from the ‘BLACK COUNTRY’ [YAM YAMS] and they turn up for £5 an hour and as much 'faggotts ‘N’ PAEZZZ they can eat in an hour He has you weighed up and when a vacancy arises he will get his brother, cousin , his uncle and elvis from the chippy a start there, you can be sure. Let the other yams make a complaint and slow down and don’t worry. Because those yam yams are like ‘herpes’ you never get shot of them :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry I got my yams mixed with brums. It should be for brimmies £4 a hour and as much tea you can drink. my apologises to elvis at the chippy

■■■■■■00:
…but its the stress and anger that sounds like thats getting to you over what is at the end of the day 15 mins.

It may appear to be over 15 mins, but for TFI it was 2.5 hours unpaid. I doubt it would really be an issue if TFI had got done at 5.45.

muckles:
Not sure what I’d, but I’ve work with plenty of lazy tossers in my time, not much fun week after week when it’s only the 2 truckies who are putting the awning up and one isn’t pulling thier weight. It’s okay in a large company as it normally doesn’t affect you, but in a small company any extra work falls on those that work.
Okay so do what he does, where does that lead? The company gets less work done and in the end looks for savings or goes to the wall.

The only thing I would say in small companies those who don’t pull thier weight are easily spotted, even if you don’t think so. Then the boss just waits for the moment and they’re gone…David !!! I do hope your not refering to me !!!

Hmm …lots of good advice and stuff already posted above.

It can often all seem a big deal when one is in the cab letting it brood for a whole shift+. However, staying approachable, cool headed, really objective & happy about life’s good bits with everyone that you deal with when you get back to the yard and to maybe chat about it to whoever might care can help achieve a renewed perspective.

We’re all different and others invariably prioritise their stuff in their own way: So, maybe chill a bit, be grateful of the work that you clearly care for and be aware of what one can change, be aware of what one can’t change, learn the difference and it’ll likely cease to be a problem in two days time…

Cliché time: Don’t worry; we’re all a long time dead yet even though I’m getting wrinkly - I rarely cease to regularly re-learn much of that stuff too :slight_smile:

Dave O`Donnell:

muckles:

The only thing I would say in small companies those who don’t pull thier weight are easily spotted, even if you don’t think so. Then the boss just waits for the moment and they’re gone…David !!! I do hope your not refering to me !!!

Sorry to dissapoint you Dave. But I worked with worse. But maybe its correct about people waiting for their chance to get rid of somebody

i think if they were waiting for the chance to get shot of somebody they’d be checking the tacho’s on a regular basis for abuse of breaks etc.

Thats transport, get used to it.

TFI Friday:
We only have 4 drivers and this guy is the only one that tries his best to get out of doing work. the rest of us pull our weight and club together when it is busy. We only move steel from birmingham into the black ciountry so it’s not a hard job. The other two drivers agree that I should say something.

I could apply to replace him :exclamation:
I’d like doing many Houres and don’t mind if i do one more as paid.
What do they Pay and which Lorry?