Settle an argument

Right then - so the drivers in the canteen are split fairly evenly on this one… see if we can settle the argument.

Working time directive. Sigh. Yes, it’s a pain in the bahoojies.

Start work at (say) 7am.

You work for 5 hours.

You take a 15 minute break.

You work for another 90 minutes.

You finish your shift and go home until 7am next morning.

So:

A] Half the drivers say you should have taken another 15 minute break (because you’ve worked between 6 and 9 hours)

and

B] half of the drivers say that you’re going on a 15+ hour ‘break’ so it’s unnecessary.

Who’s correct ---- A] or B] ?

You worked a total of 6.5 hours so a total of 30 mins of break is needed which can be in 2 x 15s but not right at the start or end of the shift
Correct = A

A is correct.

Total working time is 6½ hours so a total break/breaks of 30 minutes is required.

The second 15 minute break should have been taken before finishing but not at the immediate end of the shift, the fact that you’re going onto a 15 hour rest period is irrelevant.

I would go for option A.

It’s A.

At least one minute of work needs to be recorded after the second break.

i am glad i do not have to bother with any of it :slight_smile:

A

d4c24a:
i am glad i do not have to bother with any of it :slight_smile:

^^^This, so the answer is C!!

And that is exactly how I used to end up with countless infringements… My shift was approximately 5.5hrs (19:00 start, back by 00:30/40) do paperwork etc, allow 15mins on the chart for manual entry EOD line (so as not to inadvertently mark the trace and bang…gone over 6hrs, 1 point on our analysis system even though I weren’t back in till 7pm…even with nearly 18hrs rest, I still had to have 30mins!

Have the drivers in group B not done the DCPC then? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
Have the drivers in group B not done the DCPC then? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, that’s why they got it wrong :smiley:

Just let them do as they want… When they start getting infringments you can say “What the ■■ do I know”, smile and walk off

i get this scenario occasionally :frowning:
Work 4 hours, have 15 mins, do another hour or 2, back to yard, told i can knock off after about 6.5 hours work
so i should have 15 mins break before i go home?
or can i do a manual entry the next day?
Add 15 mins rest then say 5 mins other work?

andy187:
Work 4 hours, have 15 mins, do another hour or 2, back to yard, told i can knock off after about 6.5 hours work

Odd now and again you may get away with it. Just for the sake of 15 min have a stop on the way back

nick2008:

andy187:

Odd now and again you may get away with it. Just for the sake of 15 min have a stop on the way back

But i was intending to take 30 minutes at base.

no more work so go home.

andy187:

If it was me I’d go home early and do a manual entry the following day to book an extra 15 minutes break followed by a couple of minutes other work.

You know, if I was a VOSA bod and you told me that you’d booked time that you hadn’t done why would I care, I’d care if you said you’d done work that you hadn’t booked but not that you’d booked work that you hadn’t done.

Having said that why would you want to tell anyone :smiley: :wink:

Sod it 14 hrs straight job done get home. Glad don’t have to put up with that BS