Absolute basics

I’m sure I’m right here but a fellow driver with lots of years experience is telling me something different. Would anyone be kind enough to confirm the following to be correct.
After 4.5 hours driving you need a 45 min rest period.
However if you have not driven for 4.5 hours but reach 6 hours work in total you will need 15 min rest period.
I hope I’m right.
Thanks in advance.

Your right if not done 4.5 hours driving all you need is 15 mins

Thank you.

who in there right mind works 6 hrs then has 15 mins break , by the time you’ve had a ■■■■ / got a tea the 15 mins is gone , , after 6 hrs work I’d be having a 50 min break .
The whole point is most firms are quite happy for you to have 30 mins , but no drivers arnt having any of that , there having 15 mins , worst enemy’s springs to mind

Yep, it’s two different sets of rules.

The 45 minutes after 4.5hrs driving is the Drivers Hours Regs.

The 15 minutes for 6hrs work is the Working Time Directive. It’s to prevent a situation which was possible under the drivers hours regs that if you didn’t do 4.5hrs driving in a day you didn’t actually need to take any breaks even if you did a 15hr shift.

Same old thing Drivers working max hours on minimum breaks, when will they ever learn. The office bods are nearly ready to go home before some Drovers have had anything like a decent break. Some Drovers need to get real the only thing they succeed in doing is making themselves stressed out and ill.

lolipop:
Same old thing Drivers working max hours on minimum breaks, when will they ever learn. The office bods are nearly ready to go home before some Drovers have had anything like a decent break. Some Drovers need to get real the only thing they succeed in doing is making themselves stressed out and ill.

+1…

‘How can I work every single hour possible without having to take a break?’.

I do a regular run of just under two hours driving. I’m sat in the cafe watching some of our lot roar past every time. When I get to the chill store, they they all are waiting for a bay.

I earn more and go home less stressed.

I still don’t get it.

Always had it in my head it was 30 mins for 6hrs wor, and whilst trucknet has shown me the error of my ways I’m quite happy to play stupid, if it was ever pulled I can throw the wtd book at them and say can you blame me it ain’t the most straight forward set of rules :laughing:

It would have been better just to add the max 6 hours of work rule to the EU tacho regs and lose the rest of the authority unenforced WTD

Not only this, but drivers put the tachograph unit on a break, and carry on working!! If you put a sign up at the side of the road saying £5 for a dig in the ribs, drivers would stop and start queuing up.

Noremac:
Not only this, but drivers put the tachograph unit on a break, and carry on working!! If you put a sign up at the side of the road saying £5 for a dig in the ribs, drivers would stop and start queuing up.

I’m not sure who’s the dumb one here. Putting the tacho on break mode to reset the driving time whilst doing ‘other work’ can be the difference between getting home at the end of the day or having to sleep in your tin box in a ■■■■-ridden layby. You will no doubt argue over the legalities of it but the fact is that every driver with a brain does it, except for at Aldi and Lidl RDCs.

DCPCFML:

Noremac:

I’m not sure who’s the dumb one here. Putting the tacho on break mode to reset the driving time whilst doing ‘other work’ can be the difference between getting home at the end of the day or having to sleep in your tin box in a ■■■■-ridden layby. You will no doubt argue over the legalities of it but the fact is that every driver with a brain does it, except for at Aldi and Lidl RDCs.

The board is about opinions, and if that is yours, that is fine. I would be inclined to question how the situations arise where you feel you need to work through a break.
No argument whatsoever about the legality.

Noremac:

DCPCFML:

Noremac:

The board is about opinions, and if that is yours, that is fine. I would be inclined to question how the situations arise where you feel you need to work through a break.
No argument whatsoever about the legality.

Not sure if serious. Trying delivering round London on a Friday and then needing to get back north 4 hours away, on your last shift. Do that a few weeks in a row and you’ll soon figure out how to get creative with the tacho mode switch.

Or maybe you’re a new driver who’s never done distance work before?

DCPCFML:
Not sure if serious. Trying delivering round London on a Friday and then needing to get back north 4 hours away, on your last shift. Do that a few weeks in a row and you’ll soon figure out how to get creative with the tacho mode switch.

Says the man who said if you cannot do the job within the regulations legally, then you shouldn’t be doing it!!! I would seriously question you’re idea of regulations and legality here. Sounds a bit like bad planning in you’re own words… Funny how some people just trip themselves up from one thread to another.

What’s with all the internet experts/drivers slagging off the OP for asking a question?

I do my breaks so they work for me.

If I want to get home and am in a rush - I do the minimum allowed by law. If I am exhausted or am happy to let the day drag on I take a bit longer. It’s my call as an adult.

We are all different and should do what works for us.

Yorkshire Tramper:

DCPCFML:

Says the man who said if you cannot do the job within the regulations legally, then you shouldn’t be doing it!!! I would seriously question you’re idea of regulations and legality here. Sounds a bit like bad planning in you’re own words.

PMSFL ! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Remind me again who it was that went THIRTY MINUTES over a 10 hour drive just a few days ago ? Oh look, it was you ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: And you’re here to “seriously question my idea of regulations and legality” are you? ROFL. Would you like another bulker load of stones delivering to your glass house?

Yorkshire Tramper:
Funny how some people just trip themselves up from one thread to another.

Yes! Yes, it is ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yesterday I “worked through my break” However that was to make sure I beat the Friday afternoon rush to the coast that would have put me in danger of not making it home.
BUT…once past the usual traffic hotspots and it was a guaranteed clear run home I pulled over and had a 45 leaving tacho on work to equalise the day.

Never usually do this as Im a lazy bugger and do like my lunch time naps but yesterday the traffic was unreal.

DCPCFML:

Every driver with a brain doesn’t work at companies that run you so to the max you have to do that to get home and run bent to get home on your last shift. Only one dumb one here and that’s the one who is doing Londons for a company where they are having to run bent so they can get home on their last shift.

Conor:

DCPCFML:

Every driver with a brain doesn’t work at companies that run you so to the max you have to do that to get home and run bent to get home on your last shift. Only one dumb one here and that’s the one who is doing Londons for a company where they are having to run bent so they can get home on their last shift.

It was an example, Conor, why you have to take everything so serious? :unamused: The point is that everyone who has been doing the job more than 5 minutes knows that setting to the tacho to break when doing stuff which should be on ‘other’ modes can save your bacon if the shtf later in the day. Of course on here everyone is whiter than white and would never admit to such heinous crimes.

Some of us remember when we sat there on a Friday afternoon with a biro in one hand and a log book in the other trying to remember what time we had our breaks on Monday to Thursday.