Pay for breaks?

Just reading another post got me thinking about rest/non working time■■? I Do get paid for my whole day ie start time to finish time so driving POA WTD and driving breaks are all included. Am I just lucky or are there many others■■?

I have done in previous better jobs, but not in present job.

I get paid one place for 1/4 hour break a day only, the others I get nowt for breaks :frowning:

i’m salaried so get the same whether i take a break or not (if my hours are up of course)

So you get paid for a 36-40 hour week, and if you end up doing 50 hours, you’ll get your basic pay plus 10-14 hours overtime automatic?

If you are salaried for 55 hours on the other hand, you’re seemingly “being paid for all hours including breaks”, but if you think about it, unless the hourly rate is very high indeed (doubtful in these dark times) then you’re effectively working overtime for flat money every time you don’t finish at the 8 hour mark each day, and you’ll probably have to “carve it up” to make any time to ever finish that early as and when you can. :wink:

I get paid from when the tacho goes in and comes out

i don’t get paid for a 55hour week, i get paid for a weeks work. Some weeks that can be 40hrs and others 60 hours, coupled with numerous early finishes usually around 3pm i don’t think i do too bad. The gaffer is a nice bloke too so that’s half the battle.

when i was on agency i got paid start time to end time with 45 deducted,you know yourself sometimes if you stick to the letter of the law and do’nt put it on break when you should’nt you’d never get home on a night,or was it just me.

I am always surprised when I hear drivers talking about how they feel singled out and hard done too when they are not paid for their breaks. There are millions of public sector workers in this country who are ‘at work’ on a standard 40hr week but their contracted hours are 36 1/4, so they too do not get paid for their lunch breaks.

I am not saying this is right and just but be assured, as drivers who do not gat paid for breaks we are most certainly not alone.

I started in 1978 & whilst I’ve only changed employer a handful of times I must say that I have always had paid breaks…

FLIP:
I started in 1978 & whilst I’ve only changed employer a handful of times I must say that I have always had paid breaks…

Alright flip is that the one and only flipper or am i wrong?

“spit the dog” :smiley:

wish i’d of thought of that name and not my ■■■■ un

Salaried, but our 48 hours which in practice is about 44 average does not include breaks, so no i suppose we don’t get paid breaks.

Most hourly paid jobs have been paid straight through, even Wincanton contract on Kwik Save was paid breaks…the only Wincanton contract that was paid properly in the country i believe at the time, including premium rates for Sat and Sun even when part of your basic working week.

Some who don’t pay the first break do pay the second if its required to complete the work, i understand Asda (George anyway) are one of the few who won’t pay the second break either whether full time or agency.

Any other big employers as bad as that?

I don’t really expect to be paid for breaks but if I’m not then I won’t look after the lorry.

from start to finish. When i’m on break, i’m in their truck, and on duty for them, taking a break i’m forced to take.

Why the hell shouldn’t I be paid? Can’t believe so many companies don’t pay.

Paid for breaks.

When I worked on a large construction site years ago we were for 10 hours a day yet only paid for 8 3/4 , 15 mins break in morning & afternoon & 45 for lunch unpaid , we ridnt have the option of leaving site , its a break that your not working , you don’t get paid , its how the world works & let’s been honest most of us are doing very little when we are in our work time

spit the dog:

FLIP:

Hey up Spit. Yes tis I!

As an agency consultant, I’m supposed to work an 8-5 with an hour’s break, which would be your typical 40 hours.

However, my lunch break consists of a quick trip to a local shop to pick up something to eat, at my desk, and I’m often in the office until 6:30-7. Not to mention my company supply a mobile that’s on 24/7 and expected to be answered whenever a client calls. If they realise at 2:30 they need a driver, they’ll ring me at 2:30, and if I don’t find a driver, I’ve done a pretty good job of losing a client and preparing myself for the verbal from my manager.

I think if you’re in a position of being paid to take breaks that are legally enforced, you’re rather fortunate.

Then again, I’m a ‘parasite’. :unamused:

FLIP:

spit the dog:

FLIP:

Hey up Spit. Yes tis I!

How ya doing mate last time i see you was when i was on pjk thats some years ago what you up to now mate?