Weekend Shifts

JeffA:
It wasn’t even that he thought I’d broken weekly limits but I was on the agency at the time so sometimes I drove a van with no tacho - he said “Don’t f*ck me about lad, I want evidence of what hours you have worked this week”.

He was quite right too - if you do any work under EU regs during any fixed week you should be carrying the previous 28 days of records covering any other fixed weeks during which you have done any work under EU regs. These records can be manual entries on your digi card, manual entries made on the back of a printout, manual entries on the back of an analogue disc or any other legally required record (eg. logbook).
Other non-legally required records such as notes in a diary or scribblings on backs of envelopes are not, strictly speaking acceptable. So he was letting you off after you told him that you’d done other work.

When I was a full-time dad in the week and driving only weekends I was pulled into a checkpoint early one Saturday morning, after explaining my situation properly and answering a number of similar questions put in different ways I was on my way, at no time did I admit to having done any other paid work (because I hadn’t).

OP:
I am currently working weekend shifts only, PAYE, for a local haulier - such jobs do exist but are not usually advertised, I simply approached firms that were advertising full time vacancies and told them what I wanted. Many didn’t respond, some did, I took on what suited me best. I’m not local to you but I would guess the same situation exists where you are.