Weekend Shifts

robthedog:

NorthernApe:

JeffA:
Don’t the golden boys get all the weekend work? With it being a better rate? They arn’t going to bother giving the top rate to every tom, ■■■■ and harry who wants it who won’t do a shift for them with the sewage water truck on monday morning.

I thought all the golden boys were earning that much during the week they don’t want or need to work weekends anymore :laughing:

You really are out of touch, this poxy job has you rostered in most weekends as a regular !!

To answer your question NO

What question? I asked if anybody knows of any weekend work in my area could they let me know.
Or are you saying no you will not let me know? :confused:

NorthernApe:

shullbit:
If he has a serious accident…then yes it is highly likely that there would be further investigations possibly involving seizing of computers and checking mobile phone records etc, then if he hasn’t abided by the weekly rest requirements he will be in BIG trouble.

I gather you didn’t read my 1.39pm post regarding my knowledge of weekly limits

It wasn’t even that he thought I’d broken weekly limits but I was on the agency at the time so sometimes I drove a van with no tacho - he said “Don’t f*ck me about lad, I want evidence of what hours you have worked this week”.

Let me know if you do get weekend shifts straightaway Northern Ape - if you do it’s there’s either a driver shortage or you are a very handsome lad and the agency lady is smitten :smiley:

I’m stunning mate, my avatar is a very close likeness :laughing:

JeffA:
It wasn’t even that he thought I’d broken weekly limits but I was on the agency at the time so sometimes I drove a van with no tacho - he said “Don’t f*ck me about lad, I want evidence of what hours you have worked this week”.

He was quite right too - if you do any work under EU regs during any fixed week you should be carrying the previous 28 days of records covering any other fixed weeks during which you have done any work under EU regs. These records can be manual entries on your digi card, manual entries made on the back of a printout, manual entries on the back of an analogue disc or any other legally required record (eg. logbook).
Other non-legally required records such as notes in a diary or scribblings on backs of envelopes are not, strictly speaking acceptable. So he was letting you off after you told him that you’d done other work.

When I was a full-time dad in the week and driving only weekends I was pulled into a checkpoint early one Saturday morning, after explaining my situation properly and answering a number of similar questions put in different ways I was on my way, at no time did I admit to having done any other paid work (because I hadn’t).

OP:
I am currently working weekend shifts only, PAYE, for a local haulier - such jobs do exist but are not usually advertised, I simply approached firms that were advertising full time vacancies and told them what I wanted. Many didn’t respond, some did, I took on what suited me best. I’m not local to you but I would guess the same situation exists where you are.

dekka:
OP:
I am currently working weekend shifts only, PAYE, for a local haulier - such jobs do exist but are not usually advertised, I simply approached firms that were advertising full time vacancies and told them what I wanted. Many didn’t respond, some did, I took on what suited me best. I’m not local to you but I would guess the same situation exists where you are.

Cheers dekka, that’s something I was thinking of eventually if I don’t get any word of mouth jobs or recommendations. I’ve got a few mates that are hgv drivers too that are keeping their ears out too

Look for industries that can’t economically close down for the weekend and the hauliers that serve them, or supermarkets if you can cope with micromanagement.

I did 10 years from when my kids were babies, on tanks, taking food processing byproducts to farms as animal feed every Saturday and Sunday, usually with Sat night out. Totally stress free, interesting job, a break from housework and fairly well paid. It allowed me to have plenty of time with my growing family and earn almost a full time wage.

yourhavingalarf:

NorthernApe:
I don’t really want to sign up with agencies and be working at different depots most weekends.

The agencies, no hear me out.

Tell them consicely what you’re looking for and that they will be wasting their time offering you shifts doing anything else. Now you can find out what’s out there, who’s looking for weekend cover and who’s worth doing the graft for. Then at a later date, you could lean over the counter and ask if it’s possible to do this without the agency.
There are very few firms out there offering occaisional shifts under PAYE terms. The current driver situation might have changed that though.

Good luck.

^^^^^ What he said.
If you don’t ask - you don’t get with agencies these days.

Gone are the days of “Ongoing work ongoingly” ending up as begging for some god-awful graveyard shift on a friday night, 'cos those higher on the pecking order got all the work before you - the freshly-signed-up bod did…

There’s plenty of work right now, but you need to be a bit more fussy, as they’ll start by offering you the stuff no one else wants, rather than nothing at all.

Agency Work - has changed considerably over the 3 months in particular.

NorthernApe:

shullbit:
If he has a serious accident…then yes it is highly likely that there would be further investigations possibly involving seizing of computers and checking mobile phone records etc, then if he hasn’t abided by the weekly rest requirements he will be in BIG trouble.

I did read your post, that is why I made use of the word ‘‘if’’ on 2 occasions.

shullbit:

NorthernApe:

shullbit:

I did read your post, that is why I made use of the word ‘‘if’’ on 2 occasions.

But in that post I explained that I know about the weekly limits, however your comment “if he hasn’t abided by the weekly rest requirements” seems to have missed that fact

Winseer:
Agency Work - has changed considerably over the 3 months in particular.

I believe so Winseer.
A few agencies that I signed up with a few years ago have been messaging me for work recently. I haven’t even let them know I now have Class 1 yet.
I may have a couple of weekend possibilities coming up soon, but if nothing materialises I might just contact the agencies and stipulate the times I am available as you say

NorthernApe:
I may have a couple of weekend possibilities coming up soon, but if nothing materialises I might just contact the agencies and stipulate the times I am available as you say

You’re…

Most welcome.

yourhavingalarf:

NorthernApe:

You’re…

Most welcome.

No problem, I appreciate your earlier advice. I thought I had replied back to you but just had a look back and didn’t as the thread got a bit sidetracked :laughing:
Anyway I’ve just spoke to one of the agencies and told them a few things like you advised

No worries…

I hope you can get the shifts you’re looking for.

Just thought I’d give an update on this thread, especially to the ones that asked to let them know how I got on. Well after a week or so of phone calls with a few companies and agencies I have had 3 offers this week for weekend shifts.
I am working tomorrow with a company that subbies to a large parcel firm, doing trunking work. The owner says that I can do as much weekend work as I want, but I am only going to do Saturdays as another firm wants me to do every Sunday as they have contracts with a couple of supermarkets. That is also trunking from depot to depot with maybe the odd supermarket delivery. Both of these firms have said that I can work Saturday and Sunday if I want, but for now I am doing a day with each and see if I prefer one over the other
The third offer is from an agency but is further away from where I live than the other two so the other 2 are my preferences
All in all, I am more than happy with how things have turned out.
I just want to say thanks to those that offered some good advice and not so much to the merchants of doom that said stuff like there is no work for weekends only and I was out of touch for even considering it :laughing: Turns out there’s plenty out there if you are proactive!!

Play your electric guitar on your days off for hours on end, getting that whole album you like just right and no problems. Perform one song each day of your two days off and get paid with a can of coke in a pub and you breached the law. The madness of today…
All the best with the two new jobs!

Cheers ozark, no problems on my side about breaching the law though. Plenty of spare time during the week :smiley:

See what happens if you turn up at an agency these days and say

“I don’t want 9-5 Monday-friday work, nor need regular work flat-out every week”.

If you can get by with Weekends, Nights, and the occasional stand-down (your cash flow is upto it…)
then you’ve found the single most reason that so many people like or dislike agency work in particular:

Great money, no security.

If security is important to you? Stick to your Day job - literally!

I know what you are saying Winseer, however security isn’t an issue as I make good money during the week with my family’s online business. The weekend driving is by choice rather than necessity
One of the firm’s I am working for have regular work where weekend drivers are in demand so hopefully won’t be bothering with agency work