weekend work

Hi passed my class 2 a month ago I work full time shifts in a factory and I want to get some experince driving using agencies before I give my notice in. I have signed up with 2 agencies and I asked them for weekend work.
I also don’t work every other Friday, which one agency has had me work for, just that they both have told me class 2 work is quiet at weekends; I thought they would need drivers Saturday and Sunday?
How would I get weekend work? Is it because the other lads working for the agency get first offers?
Do you know of firms that look for part time class 2?
I live in Bradford w York’s. :smiley:

slackeye:
Hi passed my class 2 a month ago I work full time shifts in a factory and I want to get some experince driving using agencies before I give my notice in. I have signed up with 2 agencies and I asked them for weekend work.
I also don’t work every other Friday, which one agency has had me work for, just that they both have told me class 2 work is quiet at weekends; I thought they would need drivers Saturday and Sunday?
How would I get weekend work? Is it because the other lads working for the agency get first offers?
Do you know of firms that look for part time class 2?
I live in Bradford w York’s. :smiley:

I can’t think of anyone round here that uses class 2s on a weekend. Well one possibility, and that’s Swithenbank Foods on Euroway. Don’t know who serves them though, possibly Drivers+ at Drig.

I think you’ll struggle to get work. In fact, I know you will! Even if you had your class 1 you’d be lucky as the weekend work usually gets offered to the golden boys before anyone else, especially if the rates are top whack.

what about arla rob a nit sure if they use c2 still but i have been put in rigids in the past for them

I think your right, lads who work through the week should get priority ,I mean I wouldn’t like to work all week and expect some OT and they get some agency bloke in!
But I suppose someone might blob or something, I dropped an application form into swithinbanks Wednesday for 3663, I only work up the road on the Euroway at Jacuzzi UK I will try finding arlas number, thanks anyway
:slight_smile:

Just don’t let people forget you, sooner or later you’ll be of use to someone.

I think Rob K right, I know many agency drivers who prefer to work the weekend and a couple of days in the week to get the higher rates.

But as 8wheels says eventually somebody will need you, especially with Christmas coming. Keep onto the agencies

Another option is to try some small hauliers who don’t use agencies they might get the odd load on a weekend when most of thier drivers don’t work.

This is how I started, it took ages to get the first job, but once I’d got the first run under my belt the work kept coming. :smiley:

hi mate i to work full time during theweek and also have c2. people will need you eventually i have had 3 shifts in 7 months. it may not sound a lot but ive earned 400 pounds in 3 shifts. they were nights but its what i want to do. so keep trying. :smiley:

i have been offered a few weekends from the agency, usually long haul down south(Bristol & Devon) on the Sat & a stay out over night & then home on the sunday

swithenbanks/3663 on the euroway used to use
driver hire bradford, i did a few weeks for them but its
nearly 3 years ago now.

It is quite for time of year, I am with an agency for 3 years now and only do weekends (other non driving job Monday to Friday), usually at this time of year I get a run most weekends, but had nothing for 2 month now. Fortunately I am not relying on the money. Keep chasing them, good luck.

I do part time driving as I work in an office during the week - usually do a Saturday or Sunday not both.

Just taked to Protemps in Bradford and they offered Class I work out of Tadcaster brewery at £11.50/hr on a Saturday as much as I want

Talk to Emma on 01274 770677

The Biker:
Just taked to Protemps in Bradford and they offered Class I work out of Tadcaster brewery at £11.50/hr on a Saturday as much as I want

I presume that Saturday is a mistake, right?

I get more than that for week nights. :open_mouth: Protemp must be making a tidy profit out of that one.

Rob

Thats what she said for Saturday days - " a nationally agreed" rate with the company.

Thats more than I get on class 2 concrete mixers and Amtrack

The Biker:
Rob

Thats what she said for Saturday days - " a nationally agreed" rate with the company.

Yeah, nationally agreed agency rate, not driver rate. I reckon the agency is getting £15/hr, perhaps a more.

Rob

Have you done any brewery work out of Tad just wondered what the crack is

Pete

The Biker:

Depends which brewery in tad you’re meaning. I’ve done quite a bit for Tradeteam (Exel/DHL/whatever) out of the Coors brewery (formerly the Bass brewery) - in fact I was in there today. I’m doing it through DriverTemps in Leeds. You get a shift rate (which I think is about 90quid if you’re on PAYE) and it’s job and finish. It works out I get paid the equivalent of about 10-and-a-bit hours and I tend to average about that or slightly less (I did 04h45 to 15h15 today which once the 45min is taken off works out at 9.75h) so it isn’t a bad job. The units are 04 plate FM12-globeys with i-shift although they’re supposedly getting replaced soon as although they’re not very old they’ve all got almost 700k on the clock as they run them all on a day shift and a night shift 5 or 6 days a week.

If you want any more info just ask…

Paul

The Biker:
Rob

Pete

Yes, it was just trunking trailers down to ScotCo at Whitwood, tipping, loading empties and coming back, dropping and swapping, same again. Decent units (FM12s) and trailers. Would happily do it again if it wasn’t for the distance factor from where I live now.

Been round most agency’s in Bradford, they all said the same, no weekend work for class 2, anyway been working for protemp today my first class 2 job! 4 drops and 1 pickup around Sheffield started about 8 finished at 6! My map reading is ■■■■! Does it get easier?
Cos I made a few ■■■■■■■ today would have finished for 330 pm if I hadn’t mucked up
Had pallet of stacked plastic containers, one of the plastic straps broke most of them ended up all over the wagon!
How do you plan your routes? I didn’t have a map of Sheffield or Rotherham so I stopped when I got to Rotherham and got an A to Z from a shop then looked were my drops were just find reading maps hard must get used to it !

slackeye:
Been round most agency’s in Bradford, they all said the same, no weekend work for class 2, anyway been working for protemp today my first class 2 job! 4 drops and 1 pickup around Sheffield started about 8 finished at 6! My map reading is [zb]! Does it get easier?

Yes. You soon to start remember places that you’ve been to before and no longer need the map to get there.

Cos I made a few [zb] today would have finished for 330 pm if I hadn’t mucked up
Had pallet of stacked plastic containers, one of the plastic straps broke most of them ended up all over the wagon!

Er, put an internal strap round them to stop them from falling over? Clue: they hang from the roof!

How do you plan your routes? I didn’t have a map of Sheffield or Rotherham so I stopped when I got to Rotherham and got an A to Z from a shop then looked were my drops were just find reading maps hard must get used to it !

Common sense required here. Look to see how they’re loaded on the back and maybe do them in drop order. Otherwise, just start with your nearest and pick them off as you go further out.

I know I’ll probably be shot down in flames for saying this :laughing: but I would highly recommmend sat nav!

I have used mine alonside my map and it has never let me down yet (Although at times is tends to be a bit vague with the addresses sometimes) Always bear in mind though that it should only be used as a GUIDE and should only be treated as a moving map.

Apart from its obvious shortcomings, I still wouldn’t be without mine.