Newly Passed Class 2 Driver

I’ve been a member of this site for a while now, been reading posts and learning about the industry.

I currently have a Class 2 licence, done my initial CPC and I have a digi tachograph card. I currently have a weekday job and I am only looking for weekend work. Does anyone have any recommendations of ways to get this kind of work or any good agencies for weekend only work?

Thanks in advance.

Hiya where abouts are you based?, as for finding weekend only work most agencies are ok with weekends so shouldn’t have too much problem.
What kind of work was you looking for? as there is many types of driving jobs might be an idea to steer clear of multidrop until your used to the truck and go for 2or3 drops to start with.

Jeff

If in a regular mon to fri job then generally the max you can drive is for one day every other weekend to comply with EU weekly rest requirements
If you do drive on the weekend then the mon to fri work for that week must also be officially recorded and the best way to do that is to use a separate analogue card for each day worked with your name date start and finish times on each of those 5 cards

:smiley: :smiley:

Daytrunker;
I am based in north west London, I’m already with two agencies which are “Hayes Staff Recruitment” and “Drivers on Demand” I’m looking for whatever I can get as I am new, so I know agencies wont want to let me loose on a 32 tonne straight away.

ROG;
I do have a mon to fri job but its not driving related. I originally started training while working for Tesco as a manager, because I wanted a career change. Got a new job while training for my cat c which I am still doing now and I’m still enjoying so for the moment I only want weekend work. Thanks.

Samy648:
ROG;
I do have a mon to fri job but its not driving related. I originally started training while working for Tesco as a manager, because I wanted a career change. Got a new job while training for my cat c which I am still doing now and I’m still enjoying so for the moment I only want weekend work. Thanks.

Does not matter if driving related as it counts as other work for the EU regs

ROG;
So if I work 37.5hrs a week. I work out that I have 15hrs driving/other work time over the course of two weeks, am I right in thinking that?

37.5hrs x 2 = 75hrs
90hrs - 75hrs = 15hrs

Samy648:
ROG;
So if I work 37.5hrs a week. I work out that I have 15hrs driving/other work time over the course of two weeks, am I right in thinking that?

37.5hrs x 2 = 75hrs
90hrs - 75hrs = 15hrs

The number of hours has nothing to do with it

Your normal job is under the WTD
Driving under EU regs comes under RTD

The EU regs are only interested in rest periods so being at work in any type of job cannot be rest for the EU regs
The EU regs want to know when you were working in any other type of job so they can see what weekly rest periods you have
After 28 calendar days the records for the other job can be binned

alright then, cheers for keeping me legal ROG.

I noticed in your post you mentioned 90 hours

the only 90 hours mentioned in EU regs is for driving time - that is recorded driving time on the tacho - the max for that is 90 hours in any fortnight

Done my first job last weekend, for a company called Fresh Direct. Didn’t go as well as I hoped but it was good enough for my first job I think. Was driving a scania, I much preferred the DAF that I learnt in. Suppose I’d better get used to driving all sorts though. It was about 7 drops in a 32 tonne. Had a drivers mate who worked for the company, he seemed experienced enough but talked way too much. Bragged about how much experience he has and how he driven class 1 round central. His driving felt soo wrong, telling me to drop gearbox into neutral or zero as he called it to release pressure from gearbox. Looking forward to next one, hope I’m on my own though!

Samy648:
Done my first job last weekend, for a company called Fresh Direct. Didn’t go as well as I hoped but it was good enough for my first job I think. Was driving a scania, I much preferred the DAF that I learnt in. Suppose I’d better get used to driving all sorts though. It was about 7 drops in a 32 tonne. Had a drivers mate who worked for the company, he seemed experienced enough but talked way too much. Bragged about how much experience he has and how he driven class 1 round central. His driving felt soo wrong, telling me to drop gearbox into neutral or zero as he called it to release pressure from gearbox. Looking forward to next one, hope I’m on my own though!

Pity that your first experience was not with a driver who showed you a good safe style of driving instead of making you feel uncomfortable but good that it did not put you off

There are plenty of safe styles of driving around that seem to be nothing like the DSA style so be aware of that

As you have found out - every truck is different even if they are the same make !

Thanks ROG, it hasn’t put me in the slightest. I just hope I never come across him while I’m in my car. Some of the things he was saying, it was scary to think he has a class 1 licence! :open_mouth:

My only reason for preferring the DAF was that I found the gearbox in the DAF a lot easier to handle.

Just an update on progress, I done my second job two weekend ago. For Fresh Direct, my divers mate was decent, he directed me and let me drive my way. I was driving a much preferred DAF with 6 gears.

I’ve been thinking about doing my class 1 but wondering if it’s worth it financially. I can only drive every other weekend, but then I’ve always got it there incase I’m let go for whatever reason from my mon to fri job.

Secondly would I be better waiting and getting some more experience with class 2?

Thanks in advance.

Use the money form the C work to save for C+E = IDEA?

ROG:

Yeah sounds good, gives me the experience as well. What’s the average cost of C+E training?

Samy648:

ROG:

Yeah sounds good, gives me the experience as well. What’s the average cost of C+E training?

Less than a grand in many cases - depends on what you are assessed for

Done my 3rd job today. Same company as before. Everything was going soo well, I felt confident but not cocky behind the wheel. Getting up to speed limit quicker. Then it all went pear shaped at the very end, when we were getting diesel. Managed to scuff the passenger side front quarter panel of a BMW. Got this guy shouting all the swear words under the sun in the middle of the forecourt. Needless to say that’s got me a bit down!

Aw, that’s a shame.

Try not to let it get to you. In my old job we had a very awkward access to our warehouse and we had containers and trailers in from Italy, France, Czech Rep and China weekly. We lost two staff cars to drivers who couldn’t see how to get out. One of the lassies had the side of her Corsa caved in, poor girl had to drive it home with the door tied on by the warehouse boys, should have seen her face - she didn’t swear mind, just looked shell shocked! A salesman had his car totalled, you couldn’t even open the doors! :laughing:

So Mr BMW ought to be thankful it was just a scrape.

We tend to learn more in life from our mistakes than from trying to avoid them.

Good luck moving on from it.

Trust me - we all make mistakes when we start out. But picking yourself up and learning from it, is the best thing you can do.

Thanks for your responses guys, yeah lesson definitely learnt. Never take the word of someone else, always check yourself as it’s your reputation on the line.