Likelyhood of 1 day a week work through agencies?

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and I just recently passed my Cat C and CPC, I have my Tacho card and I’m ready to try my hand with the agencies to build my experience, the only thing is I already work full time Monday-Friday so my availability is going to be pretty low basically down to weekends. I’ve seen plenty of agencies saying they have weekend work available but does anyone have any experience of actually getting just the 1 shift a week covering here and there?

Cheers in advance!

Will only be allowed to work one day every other weekend to keep Mr vosa man happy but cannot see any agency having a problem with you working every other one

As above

Just register with multiple agencies

Priest:
As above

And don’t believe everything you are told!

Whether or not you can legally work a shift every weekend will depend on the time you finish on Friday and the time you start again on Monday, if you can do a shift and still have a 45 hour weekly rest period you can legally work a shift every weekend.

Whether or not you choose to tell anyone that you’re working Monday to Friday is a decision only you can make.

The availability of agency work for occasional shifts will to some extent depend on your location but shouldn’t be too much of a problem at this time of year.

Evil8Beezle:

Priest:
As above

And don’t believe anything you are told!

Fixed that for you :wink:

Yep, similar position, I work one day every other weekend.

tachograph:

Evil8Beezle:

Priest:
As above

And don’t believe anything you are told!

Fixed that for you :wink:

And I thought I was cynical! :open_mouth:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Similar to the chances of going for a pint with Elvis.

Cheers! So I take it no matter what other non driver work I do it does impact my rest periods? Good to know! Best get on the phone!

SimonTrev:
Cheers! So I take it no matter what other non driver work I do it does impact my rest periods? Good to know! Best get on the phone!

In weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations the work done in your full time job counts as other work and legally should be recorded as such on charts or printouts, you only need to record the start and finish times.

I used to have an office job and just worked the odd driving shift before I gave up the office job.

Worked fine for me although I never bothered with agencies, I just found a Co who could make use of me and now work for them only.

tachograph:
Whether or not you choose to tell anyone that you’re working Monday to Friday is a decision only you can make.

Although if you were to encounter an eager DVSA/police officer, they might wonder how you’re able to support yourself on one day’s work per week/fortnight, and go to HMRC to look at your tax records and discover that you’re working somewhere else as well.

If you’re involved in a serious collision (whether it’s your fault or not), particularly if it results in a fatality, they’re likely to put in a lot more effort into investigating everything. If you’re found to be working without sufficient rest, you’re likely to be given at least some of the blame, irrespective of the actual cause.

I used to do what you’re suggesting, but gave up when the recession hit around 2008. Thinking of getting back into it now, but don’t have enough free weekends at the moment :frowning: