M62 crash J28-29 Eastbound tonight 1930

I just drove westbound past this accident. Van smashed into the back of a P&O artic, ive never seen anything like it. The van was so smashed into the back of the trailer all that was left was the rear wheels. I doubt anyone in the van survived. Horrendous.

The artic was in lane 2 where the M1 interchange is where it goes down to 2 lanes to continue on M62…My guess would be artic moved into lane 2 to overtake a slow mover in lane 1, van speeding along in lane 2 and literally just smashed into back of artic…

Photo showing what is left of the van

examinerlive.co.uk/news/loc … t-22706876

My mistake, artic was still in lane 1. I was going past at 50mph so didnt get much time to see.

Update. Van driver didn’t get out;

examinerlive.co.uk/news/wes … g-22707956

Still closed when I passed 15 mins back

Jesus!

Suicide?

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Munchkin:
Suicide?

Crass.
Apart from the very poor taste of throwing “suicide” around, (any evidence at all?) and speculation involving a death, do you think it likely that anyone would choose to ram into a vehicle, travelling in the same direction, on a motorway■■

Poor sod, same age as my eldest lad who turned 34 yesterday…it makes you think of your own in these cases.
My sympathies to his family.
Only consolation looking at the extent of the impact, I reckion he would have not known much about it and not suffered.

mbax81:
Update. Van driver didn’t get out;

examinerlive.co.uk/news/wes … g-22707956

Still closed when I passed 15 mins back

Why does the van get described by make and model, but the HGV by colour?

Strange stretch of tarmac that is. If you’re travelling east and staying on the M62 you have a long stretch where vehicles travelling 20 or 30mph faster than you are passing on both sides of you, all you can do is carry on and hope that those around you are switched on and aware.

RIP to the van driver.

I don’t know how the firemen cope with something like that. How do you turn up and see what’s happened and know you’ve got to rescue a body so smashed up nobody would recognise it

mac12:
I don’t know how the firemen cope with something like that. How do you turn up and see what’s happened and know you’ve got to rescue a body so smashed up nobody would recognise it

They don’t get paid enough that’s for sure

I wonder if the van driver was staring at their phone at the time. You’ve not been braking at all if you hit a moving vehicle with that level of damage.

Has anyone thought to ask how the HGV driver is?

Didn’t think so.

Ken.

mac12:

Some of my relatives are second generation fire fighters and was also involved first hand with the aircraft fire fighting/rescue sector when I started work.
Lot’s of black humour and banter which would make the unitiated shudder is one of their methods.It helped to put me off flying for life but the call of the road was always a case of if my number is up so be it.

I remember being called out to a accident where the mrs had run into the back of another car , the front of her Peugeot was obliterated , bonnet bent in two , engine shoved back , real mess , the Hyundai she hit looked like it hadn’t been hit , yet my mrs was fine though really mad with the women in front who’d stopped , yet the women in the Hyundai was stretchered away
After talking to the copper he said it was crumple zones , even though you’d think I’d not want a Peugeot after seeing the state of it , the crumple zones had done there job and saved mrs any injury
I wonder if this isn’t the case here I know crumple zones haven’t saved the lads life but they can also make the impact look far worse than it actually is ,
My mrs said she was doing 30 mph ( if you saw the car you say no way , easily 50/60 ) , but the women’s statement said she was doing 30 mph as did the cars that were following , was this lad really doing 70/80 mph , or was it crumple zones , assume modern vans would have them that made the van crumple as it has .

Jeez what a mess

Poor driver of HGV I say

dozy:
I remember being called out to a accident where the mrs had run into the back of another car , the front of her Peugeot was obliterated , bonnet bent in two , engine shoved back , real mess , the Hyundai she hit looked like it hadn’t been hit , yet my mrs was fine though really mad with the women in front who’d stopped , yet the women in the Hyundai was stretchered away
After talking to the copper he said it was crumple zones , even though you’d think I’d not want a Peugeot after seeing the state of it , the crumple zones had done there job and saved mrs any injury
I wonder if this isn’t the case here I know crumple zones haven’t saved the lads life but they can also make the impact look far worse than it actually is ,
My mrs said she was doing 30 mph ( if you saw the car you say no way , easily 50/60 ) , but the women’s statement said she was doing 30 mph as did the cars that were following , was this lad really doing 70/80 mph , or was it crumple zones , assume modern vans would have them that made the van crumple as it has .

A successful front crumple zone means absorbing all of the impact between the front bumper to the A post and the front bulkhead.If the deformation goes further back than that then it’s failed.It’s obvious that, like cab over truck cabs, vans often have less material than many cars ahead of the A post and front bulkhead to do that.
If the speed differential is high enough all bets are off regardless and that differential can be the result of the vehicle ahead being much slower or stopped v the vehicle that ran into it.Crash tests aren’t usually carried out with the worst case types of speed differential because nothing can survive it or be designed to survive it.
But driving a Volvo car is usually a good bet for standing up to an impact.Possibly a better bet than a van.

youtube.com/watch?v=zDT_ps-_8oE

youtube.com/watch?v=g3UES_f3Bno

dozy:

So Dozy, why was you’re missus angry with the woman in front who stopped? Why did the woman in front stop?

Franglais:

Munchkin:
Suicide?

Crass.
Apart from the very poor taste of throwing “suicide” around, (any evidence at all?) and speculation involving a death, do you think it likely that anyone would choose to ram into a vehicle, travelling in the same direction, on a motorway■■

Not meant as crass but these events happen. There has obviously been a massive speed disparity so there must have been some reason for it?