M62 crash J28-29 Eastbound tonight 1930

I do M62 East then M1 South probably twice a week. Almost every time, I see car & van drivers cutting across from lane 2 right in front of vehicles in lane 1 and then onto the right hand lane of two onto the uphill entry to the roundabout.

I don’t know if these folks think that having an uphill slope to scrub their speed off is a handy back up or what, but as Maoster says, it’s a ■■■■ poor layout.

Don’t normally speculate on these type of things but I suspect our van driver friend has either made a mistake and only realised at the last minute that he needs to get off, or as in the case of most idiots, blatantly ignored the previous last 2 miles or so of getting into the correct lane. IF that is the case here, it’s a bad misjudgement (given the obvious speed disparity) and he has paid the ultimate price. I feel very sorry for his family & friends.

peterm:

dozy:
I remember being called out to a accident where the mrs had run into the back of another car , the front of her Peugeot was obliterated , bonnet bent in two , engine shoved back , real mess , the Hyundai she hit looked like it hadn’t been hit , yet my mrs was fine though really mad with the women in front who’d stopped , yet the women in the Hyundai was stretchered away
After talking to the copper he said it was crumple zones , even though you’d think I’d not want a Peugeot after seeing the state of it , the crumple zones had done there job and saved mrs any injury
I wonder if this isn’t the case here I know crumple zones haven’t saved the lads life but they can also make the impact look far worse than it actually is ,
My mrs said she was doing 30 mph ( if you saw the car you say no way , easily 50/60 ) , but the women’s statement said she was doing 30 mph as did the cars that were following , was this lad really doing 70/80 mph , or was it crumple zones , assume modern vans would have them that made the van crumple as it has .

So Dozy, why was you’re missus angry with the woman in front who stopped? Why did the woman in front stop?

If you knew watergate car park in Grantham there’s a entry & exit from the car park , the bmw had come out the entry into the car park onto watergate , my mrs opinion was there was no need to stop , she wasn’t expecting her to stop as you would not normally have cars exiting the car park there as it was the entry to the car park,
This was confirmed by the 2 drivers behind who did say a car had come out the wrong exit from the car park
You know what women are like when they get a bee in there bonnet , she also had to do a course as they deemed it dangerous / driving with undue attention or something like that , that cost her £175 which really rubbed salt in the wound , she nearly got chucked off the course as she had to go out with a instructor & after five mins refused to drive his Honda jazz as she deemed it a pile of ■■■■ , gearbox , gears etc , must admit it did look from across the car park a pile of ■■■■
Anyway she got a new car out of it so it wasn’t all bad , I did mention to her when I was passenger that she was driving to close to the car in front & we didn’t want to damage this car , I got told to shut up or I could walk , sometimes it’s best to just keep quiet !!

From the initial photo in the link that was posted, it was a high speed impact in to stationary traffic, which just keeps on happening. So the only question is why do people drive on motorways without looking at the road ahead. Cue, the keyboard warriors telling me I wasn’t there, don’t know the facts, driver could have had a medical, etc etc.