Yet another crash

It as just been on sky new that the m6 at j29 north bound is closed after a crash which happened at 01.30. It involed 11 vehicles which 6 are hgvs they are also saying that one of the hgv drivers as had to be cut out of is cab.

Thankfully it would appear that nobody lost their life in this one:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la … e-15610558

Paul

Tuesday morning s/bound on m1 j15 big delay, long queue about 1000hrs, rubberneckers thats all cos the grief was n/bound. First a dutch renova wagon, jacknifed and wrote off, looked very nasty. N/bound shut.

Then I got 2 miles further south, queueing traffic of rubberneckers. N/bound again a small car transporter, van and trailer, trailer had come off, very nasty accident also involving a tk max wagon. Air ambulance helicopter parked on n/bound carrigeway, motorway shut of course causing mayhem and tailbacks for miles.

Thing is, no mention on here. :confused: Goes to show how very few drivers really use this forum.

There are 2 seperate crashes between 27 and 29 so the radio said earlier.

pavaroti:
Tuesday morning s/bound on m1 j15 big delay, long queue about 1000hrs, rubberneckers thats all cos the grief was n/bound. First a dutch renova wagon, jacknifed and wrote off, looked very nasty. N/bound shut.

Then I got 2 miles further south, queueing traffic of rubberneckers. N/bound again a small car transporter, van and trailer, trailer had come off, very nasty accident also involving a tk max wagon. Air ambulance helicopter parked on n/bound carrigeway, motorway shut of course causing mayhem and tailbacks for miles.

Those rubberneckers are a pain in the arse. Gotta slow down so they can get every detail such as which country the vehicle comes from or whether a trailer was still attached or not and the company of the vehicle involved. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

pavaroti:
Thing is, no mention on here. :confused: Goes to show how very few drivers really use this forum.

Or maybe people aren’t obsessed with posting about every accident they have seen or are looking where they are going and not getting all the details to post. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

pavaroti:

Those rubberneckers are a pain in the arse. Gotta slow down so they can get every detail such as which country the vehicle comes from or whether a trailer was still attached or not and the company of the vehicle involved. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

pavaroti:

Or maybe people aren’t obsessed with posting about every accident they have seen or are looking where they are going and not getting all the details to post. :wink:

PWND :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It makes you wonder how much better the motorway would flow if they put a fence up between the carriageways so you couldn’t see the other side.

10-08:
It makes you wonder how much better the motorway would flow if they put a fence up between the carriageways so you couldn’t see the other side.

Much better, they have fences, or at least things which restrict the view, on some motorways on the mainland.

10-08:

They did start experimenting with green fencing at one time didn’t they, no idea what happened to the idea probably too expensive.

10-08:

a central screen of some sort certainly cuts down on the headlamp glare from on coming traffic at night and improves forward visability in poor conditions, as well as confounding the rubber neckers :sunglasses:

tachograph:
They did start experimenting with green fencing at one time didn’t they, no idea what happened to the idea probably too expensive.

In France they use something as simple as a hedge, but that might not be high tech enough for us :unamused:

Again, thoughts and prayers to anyone injured in this incident.

Big Joe:
In France they use something as simple as a hedge, but that might not be high tech enough for us :unamused:

Considering the amount of times the outside 2 lanes are closed for “grass cutting”, I reckon that hedges could be a good idea.

Something I see a lot of, and its getting worse, is when there is serious congestion, lorries parking on the hard shoulder for tacho breaks, blocking the h/s. I must admit, that 99% are foreign and its expected,sadly. But surely uk drivers must know better. The law states that you can get to a place of safety to take a break. The hard shoulder is not that. We were searching congestion once for a driver having a heart attack. We had to block the opposite c/way so the paramedics could attend due to the hard shoulder totally blocked by mainly foreign trucks.

Big Joe:

10-08:

a central screen of some sort certainly cuts down on the headlamp glare from on coming traffic at night and improves forward visability in poor conditions, as well as confounding the rubber neckers :sunglasses:

tachograph:

That wouldn’t be allowed as we have to have a safe haven for insects away from smelly buses and lorries. We protect our own frogs, not the people.

On the other M5 crash, they have just released the southbound lanes and police are complaining about rubberneckers :open_mouth:

About 18 months ago, the HA introduced incident screens to prevent rubber necking. One of the best decisions they ever made. About 12 months ago they mothballed these screens due to running costs, One of the worst decisions they have made. Quite unbelieveable. I have used them at two incidents, a fatal coach crash and an overturned truck, and the affect on the oppsite c/way is plain to see.

extrucker:
About 18 months ago, the HA introduced incident screens to prevent rubber necking. One of the best decisions they ever made. About 12 months ago they mothballed these screens due to running costs, One of the worst decisions they have made. Quite unbelieveable. I have used them at two incidents, a fatal coach crash and an overturned truck, and the affect on the oppsite c/way is plain to see.

I’m not convinced that ‘rubbernecking’ is responsible for slowing traffic, from my observations its a by product of sitting in very slow or stationary traffic alongside an accident and not a cause of slow traffic.
There was a documentary a few years ago and it showed a 7 mile tail back on a dual carriage way, somehwere down south like Kent or somewhere. The cause of the tail back was a solitary police bike that had pulled a car into a layby. Everyone seen the blues and two’s and slowed down, resulting in the shockwave stopping effect.
I too ease up if i see what appears to be blues and two’s ahead, like a lot of other motorists as we assume something is going on ahead of us. Then you get the wave effect i mentioned. Infact, instead of taking my word for an old documentary or my anecdotes just look at what happened when HATO’s where first introduced. No one knew what they where and assumed the battenburg was coppers and everyone slowed down, waited behing them and created the shock, ripple effect. Often massive tail backs behind them, you’ll of seen this sureley?
No following that logic, when a road is closed off and traffic is stopped why not shut off the flashing lights, no screen needed?
And of course ironically, although ‘rubbernecking’ is apparently very bad, the coppers are after everyones video footage of the latest motorway incident? Maybe soon they’ll be checking the quality of coke people sell before they prosecute? Although low quality might kill you, high quality might get you prosecuted !!!

extrucker:
Something I see a lot of, and its getting worse, is when there is serious congestion, lorries parking on the hard shoulder for tacho breaks, blocking the h/s. I must admit, that 99% are foreign and its expected,sadly. But surely uk drivers must know better. The law states that you can get to a place of safety to take a break. The hard shoulder is not that. We were searching congestion once for a driver having a heart attack. We had to block the opposite c/way so the paramedics could attend due to the hard shoulder totally blocked by mainly foreign trucks.

Probably because the rules and regulations are not enforced in the same way in all EU states and while VOSA may be quite satisfied by a quick explanation as to why driving hours have been exceeded, the highway robbery departments of various other countries will see you as an easy target, in a foreign land and give you a fine of potentially thousands of pounds/euros.

Some fair points Mike-C. I can only say that in the two incidents I used a screen, the opposite c/way went from stationary to free flowing in a very short space of time. Flashing lights is a distraction, which is why our procedures tell us to use on rears when on scene dealing with incidents. Not always used that way though :blush:
Robinhood, I didnt think about foreigners getting fined abroad, which would explain why the majority of trucks blocking the hard shoulder are non english.

extrucker:
Something I see a lot of, and its getting worse, is when there is serious congestion, lorries parking on the hard shoulder for tacho breaks, blocking the h/s. I must admit, that 99% are foreign and its expected,sadly. But surely uk drivers must know better. The law states that you can get to a place of safety to take a break. .

It may well do, but that just doesn’t wash when some Spanish copper discovers an infringement on your digicard several weeks or months later and wants an eleventy million euro fine.

What would help is if we had proper and adequate parking areas. In France, for example, as soon as a lorry parking area in a motorway services starts filling up at night, they whack a huge extension onto it, and they just carry on doing that, rinse and repeat.

It only needs one vehicle to slow down to look at an accident and those following have no option but to slow down as well. Within minutes you have a queue of so called rubber neckers although many are just held up through no fault of their own.