Council parking ticket for parking on verge

Hi,

Haven’t tramped in years, was given a night out, dropped trailer in Tilbury Docks and came out solo with minimum drive time (tried Thurrock services with trailer prior to all this and nothing available), on St Andrew’s Rd saw some units parked up on a grassless and treeless verge, like the ones on route to Tilbury that been coned off and signs to park only in emergency, this one didn’t have any signs or cones, saw parked there for the night…

Wake up in morning, warden giving out tickets to lorries for parking on verge, NOT to the Network Rail vans that were smoking and clearly not doing any work (their depot is just behind the verge behind the rail station).

I guess I have to pay it, but was wondering why wardens only gave us parking tickets and not to network rail? Favouritism?

Give the ticket to…

Your gaffer, it’s his motor, he should pay for it.

Favouritism? Regulars? Drinking buddies in the same boozer? Who knows.

If you think your being unfairly ticketed, next time, get your camera phone out and film it. Then present the video evidence to the appropriate council department.

yourhavingalarf:
Give the ticket to…

Your gaffer, it’s his motor, he should pay for it.

Favouritism? Regulars? Drinking buddies in the same boozer? Who knows.

If you think your being unfairly ticketed, next time, get your camera phone out and film it. Then present the video evidence to the appropriate council department.

I’d love to give the ticket to my gaffer, but drivers are liable for paying the fines. I mean they pay it off and deduct from wages.

Probably find the rail works vans were working on the track from where they are now parked, and they probably already have an agreement with local authorities about where they can leave their vehicles whilst working on the rail lines, H&S and all that, you can really expect track workers to trek umpteen miles dragging heavy tools with them, nearsest access point is obvious.

You could try an appeal but i doubt the fact the rail vans were left alone is going to cut it, if you were completely off the footpath then you might just get away with it, parked on the footpath and they’ll have you.
Its the same in lots of London boroughs now, even if you put two inches of tyre on the path their mobile bods will photo and ticket, someone has to pay for palacial offices let alone the pension pots of armies of highly paid execs.

romik:
I’d love to give the ticket to my gaffer, but drivers are liable for paying the fines. I mean they pay it off and deduct from wages.

A decent outfit…

Would just cough and sort it. Provided you don’t hand in 6 every week they should be treated as an ‘occupational hazard’. (to a point, they may even be tax deductable)

I think I’ve handed three tickets over in my time and every one was met with ‘tut, bleedin’ drivers’.

I would never sign a contract that allowed the company to take money from me.

yourhavingalarf:

romik:

A decent outfit…

Would just cough and sort it. Provided you don’t hand in 6 every week they should be treated as an ‘occupational hazard’. (to a point, they may even be tax deductable)

I think I’ve handed three tickets over in my time and every one was met with ‘tut, bleedin’ drivers’.

Decent is a subjective word my friend. This lot I work for are deducting £1500 for first free months (probation) and have the cheek to say that I have lovely free uniform! No mate, I am paying £1500 for it. But in this market, there is simply no choice of employment.

yourhavingalarf:

romik:

A decent outfit…

Yeah it’s stupid, as they would pay for parking but not for a PCN or at least part of it. It’s £35 not gonna break the bank, but they could easily write it off as a parking charge. Won’t get favours from me in future, know what I mean?

romik:
Decent is a subjective word my friend. This lot I work for are deducting £1500 for first free months (probation) and have the cheek to say that I have lovely free uniform! No mate, I am paying £1500 for it. But in this market, there is simply no choice of employment.

That’s a fair point…

All the firms I’ve driven for over the decades never insisted on contract clauses that appear common place today. I only had one uniform from Wincanton and I looked quite snazzy in it hustling my Foden up the M1 at 70mph.

You’re right, you gotta do what you gotta do to make a shilling these days. Just pay it before it triples in value and ‘Kneecap Finance’ reps start knocking on your door.

A copper once told/warned me that if i was parked illegally and left my vehicle that if someone ran into me my insurance would be invalid. i was half on- half off road/verge at the time , always wondered if that is true or not?

^^^^ no, it was ■■■■■■■■. You’re welcome

corij:
that if someone ran into me my insurance would be invalid. , always wondered if that is true or not?

Nah, he’ll have meant that if somebody ran into you…YOU would be an invalid. :laughing:
You’re still welcome. :laughing:

I remember a long time age parking in Manchester Street on The Ilsle of Dogs London, I got a parking ticket, Much to my amazement there was two burnt out cars and a wrecked caravan in the very same street,I was asleep in the cab, When I got up in the morning to see this ticket placed behind the wiper blade stating that the vehicle was checked at 11.59 Hrs and still there at 12.01 am, I wrote a letter to these R.Soles stating my case, Lucky me I never heard another thing from them, What a waste of Police Patroling in my oppinion, This was 1976 IIRC, Regards Larry.

So how does it work if the company pays the fine then claws the money back from you (leaving aside the issue of you agreeing to them deducting money from your wages) but you think it’s wrong and want to challenge the ticket?

Is payment an admission of guilt? Or do you pay first and appeal later?

Not at all

Your TM mentions the ticket(if arrived in post) or you tell them. You also tell them the details and they appeal the charge for you. Council wander off with tail between legs

Or that’s what happened to us this week anyway. Might not work for everyone

WhiteTruckMan:
So how does it work if the company pays the fine then claws the money back from you (leaving aside the issue of you agreeing to them deducting money from your wages) but you think it’s wrong and want to challenge the ticket?

Had this at Marmiteime, said no way I’m paying, I want to appeal as signs weren’t clearly seen. So they said they will pay it off themselves to close the matter.

good_friend:
Not at all

Your TM mentions the ticket(if arrived in post) or you tell them. You also tell them the details and they appeal the charge for you. Council wander off with tail between legs

Or that’s what happened to us this week anyway. Might not work for everyone

You obviously don’t no the council in that area . They have him bang to rites . It’s a well known area for ticketing. Usually get foreign trucks park there who don’t care if they get a ticket

corij:
A copper once told/warned me that if i was parked illegally and left my vehicle that if someone ran into me my insurance would be invalid. i was half on- half off road/verge at the time , always wondered if that is true or not?

It isn’t

The double yellow lines in the picture are ‘THE SIGNS’ they apply to the full carriageway and outwards to any verge or property boundary.

chester1:

corij:

It isn’t

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
your insurance would be fine…if you parked at night during darkness with no lights on then you would get done.
i broke down at 11 in the morning years ago on a main road in falkirk centre ,made my way home by t time,and left the keys with the office.
some myopic ■■■■■■■ ran into the back of the truck at 6 the next morning and i got done for leaving it with no lights.
i cant remember exactly as it was 30 years ago.

WhiteTruckMan:

Depends on the company. We get the ticket and speak to the driver first before either appealing it or paying it.

Driver pays for ticket if they have taken it upon themselves to park illegally. Normally through deducted pay.

We pay if there is nothing they could have done and have phoned us first. Normally happens going to a town centre tip. We simply charge the customer.

WhiteTruckMan:

It’s a civil ticket so there is no real guilt. If you pay it’s incredibly difficult (If not impossible) to challenge it. We challenge them if the driver can give us proof.