Parking charge! How dare they? :-(

Hey guys/gals,

Hope all of you have had a good week this week.

My week went well without any major problems to speak of. However I did encounter a bit of a ‘mis-hap’ on Wednesday morning…

I parked up in a layby in West Thurrock on the Tuesday night at about 6pm, as I was due to make a collection from a company in that area in the morning. When I got up in the morning, I noticed something stuck to my windscreen. It was a penalty charge notice of £70 (or £35 if paid within 28 days).

The notice states: “A heavy commercial vehicle wholly or partly parked on a footway, verge or land between two carriageways (on a grass verge)

This notice was stuck on my windscreen at just gone 11pm at night! :astonished:

Now, I reckon that if I was causing any problem there, surely they should have just simply asked me to move?

That sign is the only one in (or near) the layby, and it only states that no dumping is allowed. As if I would have a dump right there in the street anyway!

So, what do you all reckon?

Really should not be on verge as the law is written, but common sense I can see why you parked like that and the thousands before you.

Noworries:
Really should not be on verge as the law is written, but common sense I can see why you parked like that and the thousands before you.

Defo not allowed to park like that sorry but is law ( common sense has been by passed now :unamused: :laughing: )

They could give you point on your licence & yep that is law as well

But if the local council had any common sense they would make the lay-by deeper,

LJA:
I parked up in a layby in West Thurrock

So, what do you all reckon?

At least you didn’t park near Lakeside and get a £350 wheelclamp.

Noworries:
But if the local council had any common sense they would make the lay-by deeper,

That is my gripe mate. I have done exactly the same as what every other trucker has done in the past (and will no doubt continue to do) in making sure the truck is safely parked away from the flow of traffic without impeding any footpaths or other roads.

As far as I see it, they use this layby (and probably lots of others in their area) as a real money-spinner, knowing that there isn’t quite enough room in the layby for trucks to feel safe. This could be so easy if common sense is applied…just remove that small amount of grass and put tarmac or concrete there or put a sign up stating that you if you park here you must not encroach on the grass (mud). Easy, but of course then the council will lose out on hundreds of thousands of pounds every year, so they don’t.

The thing that really annoys me about it is the way they sneak around very late at night so you don’t see them. It’s almost like entrapment if you ask me. I had absolutely no idea that these scum crept around at night time. You live and learn I guess. :unamused:

Hi mate
sorry to hear that but your not the first and you wont be the last its possably some old Victor Meldrew who has nowt better to do than sit watching from behind his net curtains in his front window then pics the phone up and has a direct line to some white collar worker in an office who runs out with a ticket … the same Victor Meldrew probably takes his dog there to S**T all over the place every mornin and night . :angry: another thing is Always leave your offside marker lights on if parked over night on a road even in a layby :wink:

Did you show photo’s to your boss ?, he should be understanding as to why you parked like that, does he pay overnight parking charges, if not he may now.

LJA:
You live and learn I guess.

Tossers … :unamused:

Thou i hope you have learned your lesson ■■?

In this industry we can’t use common sense … :open_mouth:

YAMBOL57:
Hi mate
. :angry: another thing is Always leave your offside marker lights on if parked over night on a road even in a layby :wink:

And hope you have good batteries to start it in the morning. I’ve never left lights on all night as a bit paranoid about flat batteries an all that and all those side lights cant be far off the equivalent of leaving a headlight or two on.

Anyone here wiser than me on leaving lights on all night?

I carry a red led light the likes of which you put on a push bike and whack that on the back corner if need be.

4 of ours have got fined in that area for similar offences one had a one back wheel on the curb and was fined . think there trying to tell us something :laughing:

the flying foden:
4 of ours have got fined in that area for similar offences one had a one back wheel on the curb and was fined . think there trying to tell us something :laughing:

No, I don’t think they are trying to tell us anything mate. I really believe they can’t believe their luck and actually rub their hands when they see about 4 or 5 trucks all parked up like that in the layby every night. You add it up… £35 (as I guess every one will pay it within 28 days to save another £35) x 5 (amount of trucks in layby), then multiply that by another 5 for every day in the week and finally multiply that by 52 for every week in the year and that is a nice £45,500 every year they make from just that one layby!! :open_mouth:

49er:
Tossers … :unamused:

Thou i hope you have learned your lesson ■■?

Sure have mate. In fact I am now very paranoid!! :confused:

Noworries:
Did you show photo’s to your boss ?, he should be understanding as to why you parked like that, does he pay overnight parking charges, if not he may now.

Yes, I did show my boss but after looking at the wording of the ticket he just shrugged his shoulders! :astonished:

YAMBOL57:
Hi mate
sorry to hear that but your not the first and you wont be the last its possably some old Victor Meldrew who has nowt better to do than sit watching from behind his net curtains in his front window then pics the phone up and has a direct line to some white collar worker in an office who runs out with a ticket … the same Victor Meldrew probably takes his dog there to S**T all over the place every mornin and night . :angry: another thing is Always leave your offside marker lights on if parked over night on a road even in a layby :wink:

Hi Roy,

Yeah, you are probably right about a Victor Meldrew type who then is quite happy to let his dog cr@p all over the same grass verge (err, if you can call it that!) Oh, and as ShropsBri said, I also don’t leave any lights on as I don’t want to be called a stupid ^%&* by my boss when I phone him up first thing in the morning with a flat battery! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that is very harsh getting a ticket, not like your causing anyone trouble! Are you going to take the ticket on the chin or contest it?

Mullens:
I think that is very harsh getting a ticket, not like your causing anyone trouble! Are you going to take the ticket on the chin or contest it?

That makes two of us mate! Yeah, I have already contested it. I sent an email with my photos to them yesterday, so we will just have to wait and see, eh? :confused:

Layby? West Thurrock? NO! Google parking in West Thurrock. We’re not wanted in this part of the world. I would have gone World’s End at Tilbury for some food and maybe a beer AND park off the road so no lights required!
Now I’ve seen you trailer, I’ll give you a flash.

beanie:
Layby? West Thurrock? NO! Google parking in West Thurrock. We’re not wanted in this part of the world. I would have gone World’s End at Tilbury for some food and maybe a beer AND park off the road.

Ok mate, that’s great! That is, if you’re paying I know where to go next time! :stuck_out_tongue: (Yeah, as you’ve guessed, my boss doesn’t like to pay for stops at services or truck stops if he can help it, so I don’t tend to use them unless I really have to).

You know the Answer then mate if he dont pay the fine for ya then park and pay :laughing: when he pull ya just say well that way i dont get the ticket :wink: .

YAMBOL57:
You know the Answer then mate if he dont pay the fine for ya then park and pay :laughing: when he pull ya just say well that way i dont get the ticket :wink: .

Sat Nav Fort Road, Tilbury. N.51.27’08", E 0.22’12".

Concret & tarmac have to be kept & the council dont have the money for that or anything else like sign etc

No-one has common sense these days it has been by passed long time ago

LJA:

Mullens:

That makes two of us mate! Yeah, I have already contested it. I sent an email with my photos to them yesterday, so we will just have to wait and see, eh? :confused:

Problem with that is your photos have just confirmed the offence. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

This road in Luton

is used by trucks for overnight parking, some park as per the trucks in the picture and some put their n/s wheels on the pavement. I’ve often walked along there and seen all the ones parked normally with no ticket and all the others with a ticket on the screen. You take a chance parking on a verge, you will probably get away with it more often than not but sometimes you’ll end up paying.