Workplace drink and drug testing

Drempels:

newmercman:

no1dieselman:
What a load of ■■■■■■■■. Cut out the mock indignation. Alcohol consumption is legal and if you drive under the legal limit you have done no wrong. Drug taking is illegal and as noted can be picked up some time after the event.
I am all for personal freedoms, but it only takes one bad apple to turn the whole barrel. An outsider reading your responses would think WTF It is no wonder that most drivers are seen as no good illiterate knuckle draggers. Relax, do you heart a favour

Why is drug use illegal? That’s the question, hard drugs don’t need an explanation, but Marijuana/Cannabis do, it’s less damaging than alcohol, to the NHS, police and the human body, so what’s the problem? Taxation, that’s what it’s all about, they can’t tax it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

There’s a very interesting book called Dope Girls, by Marek Kohn, that goes some way to explaining why drugs are illegal, not a huge tome and only a few quid on ebay.

I’ll check that out, cheers

eagerbeaver:
With regards to the topic, my immediate thought is that if you are so mentally challenged as to be unfit to drive through the use of drugs and/or alcohol, then you deserve to be caught out and imprisoned for a period of time.

The problem is (like most aspects within the haulage industry), we have too many imbeciles driving lorries. There will always be idiots within our ranks who drag the job down. I personally don’t take drugs (never been interested tbh), and rarely drink alcohol. Various reasons including not wanting to feel like crap afterwards and being far too tight fisted to ■■■■ my money down the drain :grimacing:

I got randomly breath tested at P&H and I must admit that I felt a bit annoyed at being asked, but I cannot honestly say that I lost any sleep over it.

As a side note, anyone been watching the " Real narcos " documentary with Jason Fox? Dismembered bodies thrown in the street, drug lords running towns & whole valleys :open_mouth: Maybe worth a passing thought next time you snort a line on the complete misery involved to get it to you?.. :bulb:

A lot of the problem with cartel violence stems from the fact that the whole enterprise is illegal, it therefore attracts criminals who don’t observe any moral code, then you get the mess that is present day Mexico/Columbia etc.

The war on drugs has, like the war on terror, only fueled the fire.

newmercman:

eagerbeaver:
With regards to the topic, my immediate thought is that if you are so mentally challenged as to be unfit to drive through the use of drugs and/or alcohol, then you deserve to be caught out and imprisoned for a period of time.

The problem is (like most aspects within the haulage industry), we have too many imbeciles driving lorries. There will always be idiots within our ranks who drag the job down. I personally don’t take drugs (never been interested tbh), and rarely drink alcohol. Various reasons including not wanting to feel like crap afterwards and being far too tight fisted to ■■■■ my money down the drain :grimacing:

I got randomly breath tested at P&H and I must admit that I felt a bit annoyed at being asked, but I cannot honestly say that I lost any sleep over it.

As a side note, anyone been watching the " Real narcos " documentary with Jason Fox? Dismembered bodies thrown in the street, drug lords running towns & whole valleys :open_mouth: Maybe worth a passing thought next time you snort a line on the complete misery involved to get it to you?.. :bulb:

A lot of the problem with cartel violence stems from the fact that the whole enterprise is illegal, it therefore attracts criminals who don’t observe any moral code, then you get the mess that is present day Mexico/Columbia etc.

Agreed mate. Bit bizarre when you see a local ’ cocaine chef ’ making the stuff in a ramshackle shed in the middle of a jungle at night.

Getting paid $150 for a brick worth tens of thousands (street value) :open_mouth: And I thought us truck drivers get a raw deal…

Never been asked to do a drugs test, wouldn’t be bothered if I had to do one. Did a bit of agency work for a general haulier and everyone had to be breath tested for drink at the start of the shift. I thought it was a good idea.

As for people saying its ok for doing drugs on your day off. Well words fail me, I know a lad would does that and his head is all over the place, massive mood swings, lives in a fantasy world and the thoughts of someone like that let loose in a artic scares the hell out of me. So no if you caught with A class drugs in your system sorry but I think you should lose your licence.

Any one who has lost a loved one through a drink or drugs driver would agree with me. I cannot believe some of you on here think its ok for people to do drugs on their days off. With truck driving you got to have a clear head because when things start to go wrong it can go wrong big time and innocent family lives are wrecked.

Sorry for the rant but some things make my blood boil and a Hgv driver who does Drink & drugs is one. We are supposed to be professional drivers!

newmercman:

eagerbeaver:

Kinda like the British and American forces on the ground in Afganistan having to turn a blind eye towards local opium farming. That kinda cartel.

newmercman:

eagerbeaver:

Same as how prohibition brought so much organised crime to America in the 20s

elsa Lad:
Never been asked to do a drugs test, wouldn’t be bothered if I had to do one. Did a bit of agency work for a general haulier and everyone had to be breath tested for drink at the start of the shift. I thought it was a good idea.

As for people saying its ok for doing drugs on your day off. Well words fail me, I know a lad would does that and his head is all over the place, massive mood swings, lives in a fantasy world and the thoughts of someone like that let loose in a artic scares the hell out of me. So no if you caught with A class drugs in your system sorry but I think you should lose your licence.

Any one who has lost a loved one through a drink or drugs driver would agree with me. I cannot believe some of you on here think its ok for people to do drugs on their days off. With truck driving you got to have a clear head because when things start to go wrong it can go wrong big time and innocent family lives are wrecked.

Sorry for the rant but some things make my blood boil and a Hgv driver who does Drink & drugs is one. We are supposed to be professional drivers!

No one has condoned driving while intoxicated through drink or drugs

the main problem with taking the pee test is the size of the cup.
its only tiny and not exactly easy to aim at and when i took my test i ■■■■■■ it all up and down the floor before i managed to get the last dribbles into it.
i told them i had put some in the cup for them,but they could clean up all the ■■■■ over the floor and table themselves. :open_mouth:

AndieHyde:

newmercman:

eagerbeaver:

Kinda like the British and American forces on the ground in Afganistan having to turn a blind eye towards local opium farming. That kinda cartel.

Coincidentally there’s been a massive increase in opioid addiction in America since the invasion of Afghanistan, just as it was with the rise in Heroin addiction in the late 60s and early 70s when there were US boots on the ground in Vietnam…

eagerbeaver:

newmercman:

eagerbeaver:

Agreed mate. Bit bizarre when you see a local ’ cocaine chef ’ making the stuff in a ramshackle shed in the middle of a jungle at night.

Getting paid $150 for a brick worth tens of thousands (street value) :open_mouth: And I thought us truck drivers get a raw deal…

That profit margin turned Florida from a uninhabitable swamp into high rise metropolises and retirement villages for wealthy folk from Washington DC and New York.

Pablo Escobar was a two bit street dealer compared to the government run crew.

Speaking of ■■■■■■■ in a cup there was rumours here in the US of the authorities stopping truck drivers at the weigh stations and asking for a sample, if the driver couldn’t go right then he was given two hours to produce, if still no go then they would stick a little tube in the little penie and extract it manually :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
But like all good rumours no one knew anyone personally who had it done.

They should hang out in the msa lorry parks, they ■■■■ all over the place anyway, so I don’t see why filling a cup should present any problems

I’m going back 20 years…my best mate got roped in with a load of shadies
Anyway,one day we’d been on the ■■■■ all day,and ended up with said bunch of shades.

So we ended up in a crack house in Nottingham…where we were introduced to a man called"church".
There was also a girl,who we could all ■■■■,for a packet of smash.
My mate went to the shop for smash…and she knocked it up,and then downed it with red sauce.
I gave my portion of crack away…and have never been interested in drugs since.

Weeks later,I passed my motorcycle test…which probably saved me from a grisly end.
Although it mat still cause me a grisly end.

2 of the lads that we’re there that day…are now dead.
My mate carved out a successful career in civil engineering,and I spent the next 10 years getting in trouble on motorbikes.

Harry Monk:
No, of course not. I presume that as a responsible employer you arranged for some type of treatment or rehabilitation?

I would hope any responsible employer on funding habitual use would fire the employee on the spot and inform the DVLA (if they’d take any notice) so they lose their ability to drive anything more dangerous than a manual lawn mower.

Admittedly theres plenty of others who wont get caught but each one that does whether car, truck or powered lawn mower is one less on the road.

Oh amd I’m not trying to tell Albion what to do with her drivers before i get into trouble. :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
Oh amd I’m not trying to tell Albion what to do with her drivers before i get into trouble. :slight_smile:

Wise, trev, obviously a married man :laughing: :wink:

Hello.
I had an unfortunate accident last week down at a Sainsbury Bristol RDC. I clipped a trailer trying to spin round to reverse.
I was given a alcohol & Drug test. Passed. Given permission to drive back with a CD copy of the Incident Pack and the drug and alcohol test results.
When i got back to my own company XPO 3 hours later they made me do another alcohol and drug test.
My question is, are they allowed to do that, or did i have a right to refuse as the first test should stand.
Help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Pat Lane.

Pat-LANE:
Hello.
I had an unfortunate accident last week down at a Sainsbury Bristol RDC. I clipped a trailer trying to spin round to reverse.
I was given a alcohol & Drug test. Passed. Given permission to drive back with a CD copy of the Incident Pack and the drug and alcohol test results.
When i got back to my own company XPO 3 hours later they made me do another alcohol and drug test.
My question is, are they allowed to do that, or did i have a right to refuse as the first test should stand.
Help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Pat Lane.

Company I work for not so long ago had a driver have an accident at Warrington RDC. When they finally got back to base at somewhere between Barnsley and Rotherham and waited until they found someone trained to do a test, 6 hours had passed since the accident and 10 since this fellas shift started they did the test. Obviously he was fine.

Yes they can do the test it is their own internal policy is the short answer.