Drug Testing

If you went for a new job and you were required to sign a contract that stated you would be subject to random drug testing, would this put you off or be of no real consequence?

Some people would argue ‘it’s an infringement of your liberties’ while others say ‘if you’ve nothing to hide, why not?’

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated (It is part of a ‘research’ project for work).

Not sure how they test for drugs■■?

But as long as it did’nt involve needles its fine by me :sunglasses:

I voted yes to accepting but only because I see it as a safety isssue.

If it was body searches,hidden cameras,email scanning/phone taping then absolutely not

mind you I’m teetotal anyway but I wonder how many drivers would fail a breat test on Monday morning ?

SimonRS2K:
Not sure how they test for drugs■■?

Usually a urine sample although some of the newer tests on the market can be taken as a swab of sweat.

Normally a blood test is only going to be used as a follow-up to a positive initial test.

There are tests available that can ‘check’ a strand of hair for any substance abuse and can even give a ‘time frame’ for when the drug was taken.

I voted yes although I don’t take drugs anyway. I do drink but would be prepared to take a breath test on Monday morning.

i voted yes to the tests.
i cannot stand drugs or people taking drugs ( and i dont mean medicine) and then driving.
anyone caught should lose ther hgv licence.

“Other” for me, only because it would depend on what drugs they were testing for. There are alot of drugs that show in the tests that are in cold remedy’s etc, so it would really depend on how it was worded, if they were only checking for the class a type ones or cannabis then I would not have a problem and would welcome it.

dave:
i cannot stand drugs or people taking drugs ( and i dont mean medicine) and then driving.

But there are a whole load of OTC (Over The Counter) medicines that are not compatable with driving, and yet, are not clearly labelled as such! These may well show-up in tests.

smcaul:
“Other” for me, only because it would depend on what drugs they were testing for. There are alot of drugs that show in the tests that are in cold remedy’s etc, so it would really depend on how it was worded, if they were only checking for the class a type ones or cannabis then I would not have a problem and would welcome it.

Same as above; some of the OTC medicines can affect your driving! Should a driver be allowed out on the road if he is (or could become) drowsy from taking a cold remedy??

Drowsy from beer, cannabis, hay fever medicine; is there any difference??

A lot of companies are doing this, even the Armed Forces.
The machine they are looking at uses a sample of saliva, you would only see a needle at the station wielded by a Doctor.

And the first one they should go after is that clown on the Jeremy Vine show that reckoned he’d been driving for years while smoking cannabis.

I don’t drive whilst impaired, they take my word for it or find someone else.

I haven’t had any intoxicating drugs in a long time. And I voted no.

I voted “other” for the same reasons that have been mentioned. That is depending what they were testing for. Class A or cannabis I would probably agree to. I don’t drink, smoke or take drugs but I do worry that it could be the thin end of the wedge and once they start it would be easy to test for other types of drugs. That might not be so easy for us not to take. That is to say we could take them without realising.

On my fist day for exel i was given a drugs test by a doctor. This was done by the means of urine sample and i believe they do random tests during the year.

After ANY type of accident we will be breath tested on site.
If they feel you may have had too much the previous evening you will be breath tested.

I like a bit of heroin on a saturday night followed by as few lines of coke, the occasional spliff and the odd E on a sunday so im against it.

Here in the U.S., drug testing is mandatory at hiring and at random times, as well as after any accident. As the guy in charge at night, I’ve had to temporarily revoke driving privliges until a testing van could be sent out to a driver after an incident.

In such cases, the driver is checked for all major drugs, and for alcohol as well. A blood alcohol reading of .02 or higher will result in arrest and revocation of a commercial license, and the presence of any alcoholic beverages in the truck will further increase your incarceration. Any alcohol in a truck in the US is a federal offence.

Even though we test for drugs, some don’t show up. You can smoke crack and have a clean urine sample only 2 days later. As a result, we get a lot of crack-heads working in the industry.

Pot, on the other hand, sticks around in your body for months. If you smoke a single joint, you’ll fail most drug tests for a full 2 months afterwards. Go figure.

I voted other.
I have no problems with random drug testing & think that a lot of industries should be subject to such tests, but while certain companies give certain members of staff the choice of when to take the test & while certain doctors are prepared to give advice to drug takers about when to take the test then I don’t feel it’s justified.
I think it’s the rail industry where EVERYONE, from senior managers to cleaners have random testing, now if it was like that & even company directors where subject to the same tests as everyone else then that seems fair & sensible. But whilst it is used as a tool to beat workers with then NO I do not agree with it.
If someone has a company vehicle to drive or their actions could effect safety or productivity, then they should be tested & until that was the case I would refuse on the grounds that I have the same rights as everyone else.

i voted other reason being that a friend of mine recently got tested by his employer and it came back possitive for cannibis…now the guy does not do drugs yet some of the people in his local boozer do in the back yard and that is how he became a possitive test…passive smoking,

he has kept his job due to this what marcus said

“There are tests available that can ‘check’ a strand of hair for any substance abuse and can even give a ‘time frame’ for when the drug was taken.”

which has cleared his name

I would agree to random drug testing, but the stipulation would be only for prescription drugs. (So if you have been prescribed by the doctor you can prove it). This would get round most of the day to day cold remedies.

Having typed this not sure if it would be feasabile though.

Do we have a qualificed medic as a member ?

Magic Mel:
I would agree to random drug testing, but the stipulation would be only for prescription drugs. (So if you have been prescribed by the doctor you can prove it). This would get round most of the day to day cold remedies.

Why would you test for drugs that a allowed?

i.e prescription

Surely the whole point of testing is to find drugs you aren’t allowed!

yes no problem what so ever i would support random breath testing as well.

any way got to go the dog says he wants to go to the pub for a pint and a mars bar :smiley: :exclamation: :wink:

jon