What would you do

Nice to see some professionalism rather than im bigger than you so sod ya. Just this afternoon i was in lane two about to return to lane one after overtaking a jcb checked my mirrors and an hgv was joining the motorway so stayed in lane two. unfortunately i caught up with the car in front (some dozy bugger doing 45 in a 50) hgv driver saw that i couldn’t get past so eased off and waved me on so i could get passed and flashed me in. all happy and everyone went on with their journey.

far better than the tare arses that go out of their way to make life hard

Carryfast:

Conor:

dozy:
I’ve never changed my view & have always said there que jumpers & would not let them in , and no rob it’s not a wind up , it’s my view , always has been & always will be .

If you want to play traffic cop go join the police. They’re not queue jumping, they’re using the lanes properly and zip merging as you’re supposed to.

rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driv … p-merging/

It tells you how to do it in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 134:

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

It’s not their fault you’re more stupid than them and sat in a 2 mile long queue for 30 minutes needlessly when there were one or more completely empty open lanes to the side of you which the more intelligent people who actually know how to drive were using.

You did read the bit where Rob said there was no queue.It was a botched overtake into the face of an overtaking lane closure. :unamused:

As for the theory of Zip merging it’s all bollox.
A single longer lane of traffic having merged further back from the obstruction so therefore able to maintain speed while merging will flow quicker than forcing it all into a bottle neck situation at the point of the obstruction.

It’s clear that what’s needed is no overtaking signs put out well before the obstruction which by definition means use lane 1.Then if it’s an overtaking lane closure they switch the lanes using cones after that with traffic already in a single line.
It’s common practice on the continent.

Just to confirm that here in Holland, they whack a red X on the overhead gantry as soon as there is the slightest obstruction on the motorway like a broken down car on the hard shoulder, and everyone zip merges a kilometre or two in advance in order to keep the traffic flowing. No one pushes right to the front and forces their way in. It’s just not the done thing.

If someone continues in the closed lane, it is more than likely they have lost concentration as you can’t miss the X’s, and you certainly wouldn’t send them into the cones. I reckon most drivers over here would back off and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than force someone into an avoidable accident.

citycat:
everyone zip merges a kilometre or two in advance in order to keep the traffic flowing. No one pushes right to the front and forces their way in. It’s just not the done thing.

If someone continues in the closed lane, it is more than likely they have lost concentration as you can’t miss the X’s, and you certainly wouldn’t send them into the cones. I reckon most drivers over here would back off and give them the benefit of the doubt rather than force someone into an avoidable accident.

What do the Brits do.
We put a roadworks sign first.Great so we know there’s road works ahead who would have thought it. :imp:
Then they tell you what lanes are actually closed almost when you’ve arrived at the obstruction then they call the resulting bottle neck of crawling traffic ‘Zip Merging’. :unamused:

Or if there isn’t a queue of crawling traffic some drivers say let’s hold course and speed and send any mistaken overtaking traffic into the cones instead depending on time of day or how they feel at the time. :open_mouth: :unamused:

It’s not rocket science to realise that first we need to know what lanes are actually closed then they can tell us why after that.

Hold your line man.

If the enemy decides to wear traffic cones as bumper ornaments, then so be it. I love nothing more than watching a queue jumper park in the red and whites.

Every situation has its own required actions and consequences. Sounds like I’d have done similar in the situation you describe, other times I’d leave them hanging.
Although you may fail your test for using the wrong bit of tarmac, in the real world every bit of tarmac can be used provided your not causing a danger or inconvenience to anyone else!