Smart Motorways - What would you have done?

Whilst bimbling North on the M1 earlier today I saw one of our EE cousins in (hard shoulder being used as) Lane 1 as we approached Luton. After J11, the hard shoulder reverted to being hard shoulder, but still he continued, apparently on the limiter, on what was now the hard shoulder. This concerned me a bit.

This continued for 1/2 a mile or more, at which point he appeared to realise the error of his ways and lurched back into the real Lane 1. Job done.

Then we approached Toddington and on entering the 4 lane section, he moved to the left. Past J12 and again the hard shoulder reverted to being hard shoulder. Our hero continued to drive on it. He passed an overhead sign stating “Hard shoulder for emergencies only”. Still continued on the h/s. Another sign. He continued. I was getting a teeny bit concerned that if there was a breakdown or somesuch on the hard shoulder, he would plough straight into it (and/or swerve to the right, taking anyone in Lane 1 (i.e. me) with him). I tried repeated headlight flashes etc to maybe draw his attention and get him to think “why is this idiot flashing his headlights?” But to no avail.

So I called 999 as I couldn’t really think what else to do.

What would you have done?

He’s not alone in this and at least has fair mitigation due to the language barrier.

B’ham M6 section, i’ve lost count of the people in British regd cars and vans using the hard shoulder when it’s not a live lane, especially northbound approaching jcts 9 and 10, though these are dwarfed in number by those who continue to trundle up the inside lane (when hard shoulder running IS allowed) usually at around 8/10mph below the typical 60 limit causing mayhem as people try and work their way around them…when they usually discover the throttle and speed up for exactly 0.6 of a mile :unamused:

What would i have done about matey?, nothing to be honest, depending on speeds i would have hung back at least 100yds from him using the correct lane, if i did want to overtake i would have moved to the middle lane and then returned to the inside lane once well clear of him…if there was a possibility of him undertaking me again i would have not overtaken him in the first place.
The reason for this being, if anything went wrong, no one could possibly pin any blame whatsoever on moi, and my cameras would have captured everything to prove that.

Roymondo:

Seems a little harsh in the circumstances to ring 999 for someone who has overlooked the gantry sign, unless it was the swerving that you weren’t happy about.

UK cars do it all the time when joining from a slip road to beat the queue in lane 1. More important question is, why is the hs closed during high volume traffic times when there’s no one stopped on it?

That section between 11 and Toddington either way is a sod even if you’re fluent English first language and drive along the section every week, sometimes you can be in and out of the otherwise closed sections of the HS and next day it’ll be all lane running, easily see why the foreign lads might drop a bollock now and again, plus they need eyes up their arse anyway what with the pillocks in cars who put themselves in the dead zone to the LHD driver’s offside and stay there :open_mouth: , then amazingly wonder why they’re travelling sideways across his front bumper or spun off up the sodding bank :unamused:

Roymondo:
Whilst bimbling North on the M1 earlier today I saw one of our EE cousins in (hard shoulder being used as) Lane 1 as we approached Luton. After J11, the hard shoulder reverted to being hard shoulder, but still he continued, apparently on the limiter, on what was now the hard shoulder. This concerned me a bit.

This continued for 1/2 a mile or more, at which point he appeared to realise the error of his ways and lurched back into the real Lane 1. Job done.

Then we approached Toddington and on entering the 4 lane section, he moved to the left. Past J12 and again the hard shoulder reverted to being hard shoulder. Our hero continued to drive on it. He passed an overhead sign stating “Hard shoulder for emergencies only”. Still continued on the h/s. Another sign. He continued. I was getting a teeny bit concerned that if there was a breakdown or somesuch on the hard shoulder, he would plough straight into it (and/or swerve to the right, taking anyone in Lane 1 (i.e. me) with him). I tried repeated headlight flashes etc to maybe draw his attention and get him to think “why is this idiot flashing his headlights?” But to no avail.

Nothing !! :bulb:
The whole motorway network is one big cluster ■■■■ of appalling lane discipline, and poor driving style.
It needs policed by the POLICE.
I would be too busy driving defensively and evasively avoiding this guy, to bother my arse about whether he was breaking the law or not, rather than appointing myself as some traffic supervisor reporting misdemeanours by other road users :unamused:

Anyway there are usually cameras on hard shoulders in a lot of places like that, so the Police were probably aware anyhow.

Roymondo:

Some might say over the top but I think you did the right thing. It’s then up to the control room and maybe a senior officer if they want to dispatch a resource to it or not. If they feel it could potentially save someone’s life by doing so, such as like you say preventing him from ploughing into someone in the actual hard shoulder, then that’s their call. You phoning it in isn’t being a “grass” or trying to be a self proclaimed police officer. It’s just informing the emergency service of a situation that has the potential to become dangerous then let them make the call. The police can’t have eyes everywhere.

robroy:

Roymondo:

The whole motorway network is one big cluster [zb] of appalling lane discipline, and poor driving style.
I would be too busy driving defensively and evasively avoiding this guy, to bother my arse about whether he was breaking the law or not, rather than appointing myself as some traffic supervisor reporting misdemeanours by other road users :unamused:

Anyway there are usually cameras on hard shoulders in a lot of places like that, so the Police were probably aware anyhow.

I couldn’t give a flying fig about reporting him for some misdemeanour. My concern was that if the hard shoulder was being used for its regular purpose, he would have simply wiped them out. Being a professional driver I am of course quite able to drive defensively while making a (hands free, natch) phone call. Lesser drivers might struggle, I’ll accept.

Rowley010:

Roymondo:

Some might say over the top but I think you did the right thing. It’s then up to the control room and maybe a senior officer if they want to dispatch a resource to it or not. If they feel it could potentially save someone’s life by doing so, such as like you say preventing him from ploughing into someone in the actual hard shoulder, then that’s their call. You phoning it in isn’t being a “grass” or trying to be a self proclaimed police officer. It’s just informing the emergency service of a situation that has the potential to become dangerous then let them make the call. The police can’t have eyes everywhere.

What Police?
You never or at least rarely see them on the motorway, unless they are in a tractor unit implementing some two bit cash raising excercise.
That’s the whole problem, policing by cameras, (and in a lesser capacity do it yourself road marshalls) like I said the standard of lane discipline is about 3 out of 10.
It’s the same scenario on those roadworks on the bit where the M6 joins the M5 southbound.
It clearly states for about up to a mile ‘‘Use both lanes’’ up to about the 200 yds markers where it again clearly states ‘‘Merge in turn’’ a good system you would think, but the snarl up is increased by about half a mile back by those dicks (mostly truck drivers :unamused: ) who take it upon themselves to ■■■■ up the whole system by stopping legal overtaking. :imp:
No Police presence to stop them !

Roymondo:

robroy:

Roymondo:

The whole motorway network is one big cluster [zb] of appalling lane discipline, and poor driving style.

I couldn’t give a flying fig about reporting him for some misdemeanour. My concern was that if the hard shoulder was being used for its regular purpose, he would have simply wiped them out. Being a professional driver I am of course quite able to drive defensively while making a (hands free, natch) phone call. Lesser drivers might struggle, I’ll accept.

Ok let’s go for the worse case scenario to hammer home a point, but equally likely, he could have simply noticed whatever was there on approach without any dramatic scenarios occuring, and avoided a collision quite easily.
I do see your point, I just don’t agree with it.

The problem is there slowly building them nationwide.
I know it’s not rocket science to read a sign work it out

But the government needs to run a tv add campaign make people aware really plug the things on tv every day.
Make them part of the highway code inform new drivers and advertise advertise it .
And also when we drivers come over customs should give them leaflets explaining how they work.
Like they have out them.stick on mirrors years ago

But being an ee driver his reg will come up as ee on the camera system so doubt the bother to send a fine anyway.

Well, I just read this and thought, you’ve got the wrong day, it happened on Friday at about 1300, and it was a wabers lorry, as I saw it. But yes it’s an every day occurrence, and not only our foreign friends,

Last monday, M42 northbound between the NEC and M6, ‘hard shoulder’ with a large red X over it but still a stream of vehicles coming from the A45 slip and staying in it to access the M6 even though it was mid morning and not traffic heavy. Presumably this is a regular occourance? :confused: I did nothing, not my problem and I assume that someone is watching it all on a screen somewhere anyway?

Pete.

All smart motorways should be All Lane Running, period.

It’s simply not idiot or foreigner proof enough to have the hard shoulder open at some times & not others.

The truth of the matter is that the one thing smart motorways are not is smart. The idea of removing the hard shoulder to provide a temporary extra lane is beyond stupid especially when most of the time the extra lane is only open when it is not needed and only causes confusion and frustration.
Hopefully this is one stupid idea that won’t last but I feel that as usual money has been thrown in without thought.

“Hard shoulder for emergency use only”, so what is that in French, German, Spanish, Portugese, Flemish, Dutch etc? I don’t mean translate it, I mean what will be on the roadsigns in those countries?

As well as: Debris in road, Pedestrians in road, Queue after junction, leave at next exit, overheight vehicle, unsuitable for long vehicles etc. I genuinely want to know. So do we issue foreign drivers wth a leaflet at the port of entry to help them understand our overhead gantry signs?

cav551:
“Hard shoulder for emergency use only”, so what is that in French, German, Spanish, Portugese, Flemish, Dutch etc? I don’t mean translate it, I mean what will be on the roadsigns in those countries?

As well as: Debris in road, Pedestrians in road, Queue after junction, leave at next exit, overheight vehicle, unsuitable for long vehicles etc. I genuinely want to know. So do we issue foreign drivers wth a leaflet at the port of entry to help them understand our overhead gantry signs?

They were doing a trial on the A66 Penrith I think it was,.where a camera recognised a Foreign truck’s International plate, and a illuminated sign showed the info in the appropriate language.
Ok no good for a M.way I suppose, because of traffic volume, but it’s a start.

cav551:

Instead of plain boring text you can have an animated man/woman waving his/her finger at drivers and articulating to them in sign language. Foreign drivers can then be given leaflets with pictures depicting the various instructions/warnings. Then they’d have to pass an on-the-spot-test at the border to ensure their ability to follow the orders, I mean instructions.

robroy:

cav551:

They were doing a trial on the A66 Penrith I think it was,.where a camera recognised a Foreign truck’s International plate, and a illuminated sign showed the info in the appropriate language.
Ok no good for a M.way I suppose, because of traffic volume, but it’s a start.

There are so many EE drivers in western reg trucks now that language ain’t going to help,why can they not use arrows and red x’es on the signs so it’s understandable for everyone

rob22888:
All smart motorways should be All Lane Running, period.

It’s simply not idiot or foreigner proof enough to have the hard shoulder open at some times & not others.

+1…

4 lanes open 24/7. The M1 from J13 down is open then closed open then closed ruddy farce. Just leave the bleedin’ thing open.