What would you do

Coming down M6 tonight, saw the markers for 2 lanes closed (outside and middle) this guy in a unit only, kept on coming in lane 2 overtaking.
When we approached the 400 yds marker he was still out there, so I eventually slowed right down to give him time, he obviously was not concentrating as he kept coming, as we got to 200 yds,.I automatically pulled in hard shoulder to let him in, (it just came automatically tbh, never thought about it) , but he then realised what he’d done, braked and pulled back in behind me, so I re.joined lane 1, and he sat in behind me, then giving me a wave as he passed me later on.

Now I know I ain’t supposed to use hard shoulder, but it was purely to avoid a ■■■■ up scenario, and I would argue that it was professionalism kicking in, but some may not agree.

It got me thinking about some of the recent posts on here by the self righteous types, the …‘I’m doing nothing wrong, he is, so I’m in the right’’ type of posts.

So how many would have stayed in lane 1, and said… ‘‘■■■■ you mate it’s your problem’’ ?

Not after any congratulatory credit here btw, trust me…or I might even get slated for it, who knows. :smiley:
Just curious and interested in what my fellow pros would do, after reading stuff on this forum recently :smiley:

robroy:
Coming down M6 tonight, saw the markers for 2 lanes closed (outside and middle) this guy in a unit only, kept on coming in lane 2 overtaking.
When we approached the 400 yds marker he was still out there, so I eventually slowed right down to give him time, he obviously was not concentrating as he kept coming, as we got to 200 yds,.I automatically pulled in hard shoulder to let him in, (it just came automatically tbh, never thought about it) , but he then realised what he’d done, braked and pulled back in behind me, so I re.joined lane 1, and he sat in behind me, then giving me a wave as he passed me later on.

Now I know I ain’t supposed to use hard shoulder, but it was purely to avoid a ■■■■ up scenario, and I would argue that it was professionalism kicking in, but some may not agree.

It got me thinking about some of the recent posts on here by the self righteous types, the …‘I’m doing nothing wrong, he is, so I’m in the right’’ type of posts.

So how many would have stayed in lane 1, and said… ‘’[zb] you mate it’s your problem’’ ?

Not after any congratulatory credit here btw, trust me…or I might even get slated for it, who knows. :smiley:
Just curious and interested in what my fellow pros would do, after reading stuff on this forum recently :smiley:

If there’s a foreseeable safety issue which can be alleviated by using the hard shoulder as the lesser of two evils to make space it’s a no brainer ( so long as you’re sure that it is empty far enough ahead ).Just like using lane 3 or 4 if trouble is brewing in lanes 1 and/or 2/3 and it would avoid a foreseeable problem.

Hi,
No doubt about it, you knew he had no way out and played him out of trouble, well done.
At least he waved at you to acknowledge his mistake, a lot don’t even do that.

I’ve never changed my view & have always said there que jumpers & would not let them in , and no rob it’s not a wind up , it’s my view , always has been & always will be .

hcobain:
Hi,
No doubt about it, you knew he had no way out and played him out of trouble, well done.
At least he waved at you to acknowledge his mistake, a lot don’t even do that.

Mistake !!! God help us

dozy:
I’ve never changed my view & have always said there que jumpers & would not let them in , and no rob it’s not a wind up , it’s my view , always has been & always will be .

There was no queue, he was not jumping a queue, it was a lapse of concentration and day dreaming on his part I would guess.
We’ve all passed landmarks like MSAs and never noticed them, whilst on autopilot.
This lad just did not see the lane closure signs.

robroy:

dozy:

There was no queue, he was not jumping a queue, it was a lapse of concentration and day dreaming on his part I would guess.
We’ve all passed landmarks like MSAs and never noticed them, whilst on autopilot.

Really rob , you seriously believe that , they know what there doing , there just hoping for someone who’s gullible enough to think that , everyone to there own , if your happy to let them in good luck to you , but I won’t , I won’t even let a lorry of the company I work for in , that’s how strong my views are on it ,
And before anyone comes up with that zip merging ( another name for que jumping ) crap , I’m not interested

dozy:

It’s no different to making space if possible to avoid a botched overtaking situation.So you hold your course and speed and refuse to make space and a fatal head on collision ensues.

robroy:

dozy:

I think you did the right thing, keep your wits about you keep calm and try and help someone where possible, what goes round comes around.
Had a wagon so close to me on the A1 tonight I could see his cab In the rear camera, he eventually got bored and pulled out, I just eased off and flashed him in, don’t need to get wound up. Now when my phone or computer doesn’t behave that’s another story! [emoji34]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Yawn everyday occurrence your boring me with your M6 stories Rob

DickyNick:
Yawn everyday occurrence your boring me with your M6 stories Rob

:laughing: …Ok, but at least when you bore me I give an opinion on the situation you post.
I think we know where you stand on this,.and safely say that if it had been you the guy would have left his grille and front panels amongst the cones and barriers in lane 2.
Cheers anyway. :wink:

I would await the arrival of all things related to night driving on the M6, the Leg-end that is samyam, He will tell what you should have done, what bellend or hero you are. Respect for putting it out there, You Legend.

biggriffin:
Respect for putting it out there, You Legend.

Cheers…(but even I ain’t up my own arse enough to actually believe you’re being entirely serious. :laughing: :laughing:)

Would say it definitely constitutes the to be used in emergencies rule. Not to ramble about it but just as well it was not on a smart motorway stretch or it could have been a whole different outcome

dozy:

If you want to play traffic cop go join the police. They’re not queue jumping, they’re using the lanes properly and zip merging as you’re supposed to.

rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driv … p-merging/

It tells you how to do it in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 134:

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

It’s not their fault you’re more stupid than them and sat in a 2 mile long queue for 30 minutes needlessly when there were one or more completely empty open lanes to the side of you which the more intelligent people who actually know how to drive were using.

dozy:

robroy:

dozy:

Really rob , you seriously believe that , they know what there doing , there just hoping for someone who’s gullible enough to think that , everyone to there own , if your happy to let them in good luck to you , but I won’t , I won’t even let a lorry of the company I work for in , that’s how strong my views are on it ,
And before anyone comes up with that zip merging ( another name for que jumping ) crap , I’m not interested

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what an educated and eloquently written paragraph there.
it somehow makes me think that once again we have a serious case of wrong login i.d. before replying and posting. :unamused:

however,in answer to robroy,
you did the right thing.
if the dude was on another planet due to boredom and speed limiters on the motorway then he wasnt queue jumping so you averted an incident before it started.
apart from the couple of trollprick replies,then most would automatically have done the same…job done.

I’ve just been called gullible by dozy! :open_mouth:
:laughing: :laughing:

How’s yer planners treating you these days doze…and what are they telling you? :wink:

Conor:

dozy:

If you want to play traffic cop go join the police. They’re not queue jumping, they’re using the lanes properly and zip merging as you’re supposed to.

rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driv … p-merging/

It tells you how to do it in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 134:

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

It’s not their fault you’re more stupid than them and sat in a 2 mile long queue for 30 minutes needlessly when there were one or more completely empty open lanes to the side of you which the more intelligent people who actually know how to drive were using.

You did read the bit where Rob said there was no queue.It was a botched overtake into the face of an overtaking lane closure. :unamused:

As for the theory of Zip merging it’s all bollox.
A single longer lane of traffic having merged further back from the obstruction so therefore able to maintain speed while merging will flow quicker than forcing it all into a bottle neck situation at the point of the obstruction.

It’s clear that what’s needed is no overtaking signs put out well before the obstruction which by definition means use lane 1.Then if it’s an overtaking lane closure they switch the lanes using cones after that with traffic already in a single line.
It’s common practice on the continent.

robroy:
I’ve just been called gullible by dozy! :open_mouth:
:laughing: :laughing:

How’s yer planners treating you these days doze…and what are they telling you? :wink:

It’s getting near to Friday so they’ll be on the phone to his missus seeing if steak was on the cards for his tea tomorrow so they know whether to plan him an early finish if it isn’t or if it is send him to the other end of the country with just 10hrs driving left for the week.

surely as soon as he dreams something up we will get the weekly update by this evening to save us all biting our nails till tomorrow lunchtime?