What should I have done?

Driving down the M5 last night a little after sixish I caught up with a red hatchback being driven in the middle lane at 45 mph. I slowed down, kept in the lefthand lane and hung back a bit. Despite the best efforts(and some very bad ones) of some people to get the driver to pull over this driver wasn’t budging. So eventually i pulled alongside carefully until I got the cab past it thenn floored it and went on my way. Last I saw in my mirrors the car was still in the middle lane causing a lot of confusion and frustration.
Bearing in mind I was driving an Artic What should I have done.
I passed on the inside by the way.

knight:
. I slowed down, kept in the lefthand lane and hung back a bit. Despite the best efforts(and some very bad ones) of some people to get the driver to pull over this driver wasn’t budging.

Given the above it’s reasonable to undertake, I have done the same in the past in very similar circumstances.

You did the right thing. If you had of stayed in lane 1 at a similar speed to the idiot car driver it would have effectively made the motorway into a single carrigeway.

What would posses someone to drive like that :question: :open_mouth: Ive seen similar things myself. People like that need taking off our roads, and quick! :imp:

Sounds like you did the right thing - obviously one of “those” car drivers !!!..

G

thats what i would have done. i would have tryed to flash him to get his attention, but aprt from that i’d have blasted up his inside.

jon

There’s always that fear of them drifting back in to lane 1, just as the front of
your vehicle is in their nearside mirror blindspot, then i think the blame would
be on you. It’s a tricky one because what about the law regarding traffic queues
wonder if it’s feasable to say that the car in lane 2 was causing a queue, and
the same in your (lane 1) with your queue moving faster?

If i,ve seen this in the past whilst driving a van, or a car, i,ve overtook them in lane 3, moved back into lane 2, then stuck the left indicator on, and stayed there for a short while, then (slower than usual) moved back into lane 1.

Sometimes it’s worked :laughing:

You did the right thing knight :smiley:

Well i’d conside it the right thing if not strictly the legal thing to do. :wink:

You could phone the police ont he basis the driver ‘apears to be drunk’ and is causing a hazard. The apears to be drunk one gets to take it a little more seriously :smiling_imp:

unfortunatly theres a lot of these muppets out
there. i usually flash them a few times then if no
joy i wake them up with the air horn just to make
sure they know im there as i undertake.

if you have air horns, only our Scania has one, the merc and MAN have some really feeble high tone electric ones. Almost embarassing to use them. Actually my mini came with a better one as standard!

Knight you did the right thing. :smiley:

No point getting stressed with these people and start using bullying tactics. tailgating them and flashing the light and sounding the horn might cause them to brake and then you to ran into the back of them or get spotted by the Police, both will start a world of [zb] for you.

To be honest there are loads of muppet drivers out there in all sorts of vehicles. My feeling is to accept the fact, keep calm and don’t let them stress you. Be generous when others make mistakes and let it go with a smile.
You’ll find you driving a lot more pleasent and easier driving to allow for others mistakes and incompetance, than trying to get every driver to drive as perfectly as you.

thats what I do, just be aware they may suddenly come back into your lane, they havent a clue of their surroundings so dont expect them to look in the mirror for a 44 tonne truck :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks one and all.
Muckles that about sums up what i did, just bided my time till I thought it was as safe as it was going to be.

knight:
Driving down the M5 last night a little after sixish I caught up with a red hatchback being driven in the middle lane at 45 mph. I slowed down, kept in the lefthand lane and hung back a bit. Despite the best efforts(and some very bad ones) of some people to get the driver to pull over this driver wasn’t budging. So eventually i pulled alongside carefully until I got the cab past it thenn floored it and went on my way. Last I saw in my mirrors the car was still in the middle lane causing a lot of confusion and frustration.
Bearing in mind I was driving an Artic What should I have done.
I passed on the inside by the way.

It reminds me of the day in 1967 I was driving down the bank at keel services south on the M6 same thing, a car plodding a long at 40mph in the middle lane well you know how it is I was in aberdeen 7th (out of stick) in a atkinson 150 gardener 45mph flat out, anyway the driver would not move over so I was about to pull into the right hand lane but saw cars comming up so I move into the near side lane and passed the idiot.

going up the bamk at the 500 he passed me still in the middle lane and stayed there all the way down to stafford junction near the weigh bridge, on that stetch I passed him again in the near side lane, after I passed him he pulled up on the hard shoulder and stopped.then has I was about to come up to the A5 I was stopped by the police, I got out of my waggon and walked back to the police car.

the copper said that I had been reported for over taking in the near side lane which I admitted to doing at that he said he would book me, took out his book, at that moment the car pulled up driver got out and came up to us telling the officer his version of events,

he told the officer that he had driven from comming on at knutsford in the middle lane and he had been driving at a speed of 40 mph and would not move over for trucks.

at that the officer booked him for obstruction, driving without due care and being a danger to other road users :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and this man was a magistrate fron Canock :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: