volvo fl10s.....

240 Gardner:

Hi 240 Gardner, If you were ever weekended at Santhia in that truck, we very probably met in the 80’s. :grimacing:

Sorry mate, but even though there were quite of few of those Bowker wag-and-drags to be seen at Santhia,
I can’t remember a single Bowker driver’s name. :blush: :blush: :blush:

BTW, I was on Barco in an SK Merc back then. Happy days. :smiley:

I never had one as a regular truck but my mate got one on the company we worked on, he came off an A Series ERF straight onto an FL10. It must have seemed like paradise to Mitch.

John used to smoke Regal king size and he had this wierd habit of saving his empty packets in the passenger footwell until the weekend. He reckoned with the ERF he had to squash them down a bit but the FL10 had lots more room :open_mouth:

Anyone remember Hardisty? He ran hundreds of them :stuck_out_tongue:

dieseldave:

240 Gardner:

Hi 240 Gardner, If you were ever weekended at Santhia in that truck, we very probably met in the 80’s. :grimacing:

Sorry mate, but even though there were quite of few of those Bowker wag-and-drags to be seen at Santhia,
I can’t remember a single Bowker driver’s name. :blush: :blush: :blush:

BTW, I was on Barco in an SK Merc back then. Happy days. :smiley:

Sorry Dave, it definitely wasn’t me!

There were 10 of those FL10s before the F10 Eurotrotters came, and they lasted several years so there would have been a few
drivers passing through them

This was the last truck I had before going to Canada,
Ex Axial FL12 380 that we had chipped to 450bhp

Had a FL7 at 38t with a 240 in it :laughing: slow & steady was the name of the game when you came up against a climb of any kind,
5 nights away most weeks nice bed but not the biggest of cabs for tramping in but i was happy in it at the time,
had a peice of 2x2 under the front of the bunk as it seemed to slope to the front and i`d wake up with my ar5e on the engine cover when i first had it.
This was my dads FL10 but was white when he had it

My mate Dave had this one on for Caddies seen here backing on the Le Havre boat

The best truck I ever bought. Worked from day one on anything you wanted it to do. Small cab space, yes but comfort second to none, like sitting in your armchair at home. (More room usually means more junk you carry!)

I once had a argument with a couple of the lads I worked with at Armstrongs.
It was about the difference in the inside height of an FL10 & a F10 & believe it or not but from floor to roof there was only about half inch difference.

1st pic me FL7 2nd Geordie Truck Show Witton Castle
3rd pic 2nd moter 113 was mine & the 3rd one might be of interest to you 43`rs out there it was a143 500 no Plate was M500 - ■■?

when did you work at bowkers 240? had a brother in law who worked there, had a FM? Be about 4 years or so ago? chris hobson?

My Dad had an FL10. He had it from brand new in December 1989. Was a lovely truck. Cramped but drove really nice.

C Reg was a early one went everywhere no probs apart from the odd liner seal

JAMESMCC:
when did you work at bowkers 240? had a brother in law who worked there, had a FM? Be about 4 years or so ago? chris hobson?

Don’t know him, I’m afraid - I was there 1982 to 2001, so he must have been after my time. i would have remembered him if we
had overlapped, because I would have been the person taking him on!

I had one on hire for a couple of months, it was on a C plate, nowhere to put anything but it was a lovely motor to drive, I used to hear everyone moaning that you couldn’t get from the drivers seat to the bunk so you had to get in from the passenger side, ■■■■ knows who made that one up, I never had a problem, I preffered an F10 for the extra storage space, but of the 2 the FL was the better drive.

The throttle linkage used to play up a bit & pop out so you only got half throttle but it was easy to fix, just open the grille & pop it back in again, the other thing that was a pain, quite literally, was the height of the cab meant that the mirror arms were very low, I whacked my canister a few times on them as I walked around the front of the cab :blush:

Any chance of seeing that Gallachers volvo a bit bigger greek?

Ok confession time ,i too enjoyed my time with an FL10. I had a brand new one in 1998 ( S Reg ). I really liked it even though it was a bit cramped for nights out. I only had it for about 6 months until a got a new DAF CF.

got a pic to put on - not a clue how to-any help gratefully recieved :laughing:

chevmac:
got a pic to put on - not a clue how to-any help gratefully recieved :laughing:

how to post pictures

Thanks for the link- will hopefully sort it asap
:smiley:

Sorry Consettbell shrunk it too small on photobucket & once you have resized it you can`t take it back.

greek:
Sorry Consettbell shrunk it too small on photobucket & once you have resized it you can`t take it back.

can you not just re upload the picture?

Will do when I get 5 mins Matt I`l have to find it in me box & rescan it.
Nice pics in your diary love Aus been 3 times Did Cairns to Sydney just over yr ago