new lorries

I wish i could get a job driving a new lorry, every job so far my mount has been over 10 years old. my current steed is a 12 yr old Volvo FL6.17 four wheeler ,she breathes heavy but still plods on, then all these new toys pass me and i get kinda jealous.

:astonished: Bit suprised a that. Most class 2 that I see seems fairly new. i had put that down to new designs/materials giving agreater payload, hence hauliers going for the replacement program. Are you on Agency or just picking employers with old kit?? :unamused: :unamused: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

if the job pays good why worry what you drive :smiley:

do you have new units in the fleet or does your employer line his own pockets instead of incentives for his drivers?

nothing wrong with a fl6 drove one for about 2 years and never let me down :wink:

jon

New trucks arn’t always the best thou i drive a Y reg volvo fl220 and its the biggest piece of under powered junk ever. these are the problems in the last 6 months

jumping out of 1st 2nd 6th
dashboard falling apart (now help together with self tappers)
drivers seat air power failed
steering notchy
turbo packed in
crankshaft pulley fell off
air dryer leaking (been repaired twice)

Even the volvo dealer said the 220 was the worst vehicle volvo have made

I used to drive a R reg fl6 18 absolutly rock solid motor could give it abuse all day and never have any problems with it.

simon

Hi roytheboy,
Just to let you know my usual wagon is a 10yr old FL6/18 curtain with steel suspension, definately not the most comfy lorry i’ve driven !!. She goes well though and has’nt let me down. The other wagons i drive are all Volvo six-whelers ranging from an M reg FL10/320 to an X reg FM12/340. I find the older wagons just as good to drive as the newer models.
The firm I work for are getting a replacement for one of the older wagons so next week I might be driving a split-new FM12/380. Only thing is, I’m ■■■■■■■■ it I’ll be the first to mark it.
Hope you get a newer wagon soon.

HebHaul

I normally drive newer vehicles, most companys resent paying to hire a unit over 2 - 3 years old, but having said that I still drive older units & enjoy it.
If this via one employer & if so are they an own goods operator, rather than a haulier ?, these guys tend to use old & non to healthy steeds which can be a fun days drive, but not everyones idea of an acceptable daily steed.

thanks guys, i do tend to end up working for firms that have older kit! my current wage payer says " a new truck will earn only as much as this one so i’ll wait untill the thing gives up the ghost". i shouldn’t moan really, he does pay me reasonably for what i have to do, plus above average night out rate, i just wish i had a wagon with a wider bunk and an RDS radio/CD player instead of manually retuning

roytheboy:
RDS radio/CD player instead of manually retuning

Oh my god :open_mouth: :open_mouth: You have got an antique :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Seriously though, if it aint broke, dont fix it. Not all firms can afford to upgrade and whilst it’s running ok, there is no need to replace it. As for the radio, you could always buy yourself one and replace the old 'un.

We’ve just taken delivery of some new Volvo FM12s and very nice they are too. But they have still got some niggly teething faults to clear out, like 2 that have tempremental cruise control. Lead welly can’t go into retirement just yet. :smiley:

SimonRS2K:

simon

So, you’re so hard done by aren’t you…

I haven’t even got a shower let alone a air dryer !!! :laughing:

I´d much rather have a good steady regular wage than a new truck anyday

Willy Gofar:

SimonRS2K:

simon

So, you’re so hard done by aren’t you…

I haven’t even got a shower let alone a air dryer !!! :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Oh my sides hurt!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Roy. I look at it this way. If I don’t do nights out I don’t bother about the motor I drive at the mo I’ve got a G reg Volvo F10 - dead easy to drive with the four over four box as I don’t usually carry that much weight. If I do nights out/live out in it all week then I want a decent bit of kit - I think that’s only fair. It’s equipment to task :wink: .