What's your faveourite truck?

Do you have a favourite of all the trucks you’ve had over the years?

I’ve only been driving since '96, but theres a couple that stand out.

G reg scania R113 360- old an knackered when I had it, but I loved it. comfy, reliable and it had a straight through eminox on it that sounded amazing.

B reg volvo F12. stupidly fast. I only had it for a couple of days, they wouldnt let me keep it.

51 plate ERF ECT. I loved the ■■■■■■■ engine. I found the driving position spot-on.

ive never really drievn anything under a 51 plate but i drove a couple of 03 and 04 scanias last week which had just went under complete rebuilds and they were uber nice to drive, smooth and quiet.

also drove a 53 plate volvo fm and fh and they were nice aswell.

Bloody hell I must be getting old, they’re doing complete rebuilds on 03 & 04 motors now!

For years I drove lorries that were 10yrs old when I got them, some even older!

newmercman:
Bloody hell I must be getting old, they’re doing complete rebuilds on 03 & 04 motors now!

For years I drove lorries that were 10yrs old when I got them, some even older!

Never mind getting old.I’ve suddenly got old :frowning: In 1968 I had a 1955 Leyland Octopus and did I think that I was the main man.Can’t have been.Matron says its time for bed.Nite nite. :cry:

well to be fair, in '55 a Leyland octopus was heaviest of the heavies in regular road haulage.

Daf 3600 ati Space cab would take some beating

Had to be a F89 in the late seventies used to make heads turn.Unloading in Nine Elms (Covent Garden) and being told you will just have to wait you French ■■■■■■■ by a very inteligent market operative who believed at the time that any left hand drive truck must be French.
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hi All,

I had numorous different trucks while driving but this F12 was the best - B Reg and went like a Train, great ride and comfy, Still remember the throaty roar of the stack going over the Alps - Sad I know !!!

Photobucket

Had F16s and 143’s but this one always stands out as the best - Just one of them things.

Regards
Ant

( language edit ) jd

nice truck mate :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
i’d drive it now :wink:

Willie Roadstar:
Hi All,

I Still remember the throaty roar of the stack going over the Alps - Sad I know !!!

Not sad mate no where near sad.

( language edit ) jd

K.Adams:

Willie Roadstar:
Hi All,

I Still remember the throaty roar of the stack going over the Alps - Sad I know !!!

there should be a place for people like us to go…oh wait there is…were here!!! :wink: a Thames Trader tipper…never drove one but had 15 matchbox trucks of the same… :blush:

the best truck i’ve driven was a 143 450 scania had it about two years ago its still going i miss the V8 power and what a sound it made pulled like a train :sunglasses: it was a 93 L reg :sunglasses:

K.Adams:

Willie Roadstar:
Hi All,

I agree. The sound of a ■■■■■■■ with a jake…the wastegate whistle of a scania through an eminox when changing gear…the growl of a leyland o.680…the scream of a GMC detroit diesel 8v71…all fantastic.

do we want to change the thread title to “saddest git”? i’ve never been “into” scanias particularly, but going out one evening i wound down the passenger window of the car and told the young lady i was with to slow alongside so I could hear a 142 with a stack pulling up the M606 - she seemed to take exception to my joy and it was downhill from there :blush: and no, I didn’t marry her :laughing:

jj72:
do we want to change the thread title to “saddest git”? i’ve never been “into” scanias particularly, but going out one evening i wound down the passenger window of the car and told the young lady i was with to slow alongside so I could hear a 142 with a stack pulling up the M606 - she seemed to take exception to my joy and it was downhill from there :blush: and no, I didn’t marry her :laughing:

he married a Volvo gal… :wink:

With rose tinted mirrors, I think the best truck was the 2800 / 3300 DAF especially an ATi with the single bunk. large underbunk storage, decent sized cubby hole for tea coffee and sugar in the dash. Large map box and double bottle holders in the centre and a clear modern dashboard. Another well thought out touch was the exterior locker under the back of the cab.

Forget the 22 inch steering wheel and the 3 foot gearstick, the compulsory airleaks were all character building. The 95 and subsequent models never did it for me.

I think V8 Scanias take some beating,…for the noise,

Volvo for the quality of the F12’s & early FH’s and ishift.

But to be honest the truck that stands out in my mind was an OLD 2800, with a fuller roadranger gearbox, owned & operated by Dave Rawlinson, for anyone who doesnt know him he supplied most of the material for and ond TV series called truckers, in the late 80’s

His Daf at that time was really something, anyway he had a bit off an accident on M25 & that was the end of that, then bought a 112

:cry:

Has to be my old 2800ati daf first decent motor i had and it had a night heater no more scraping the ice off the inside of the screen.

my favorite was my old p reg daf 430 ssc. it was a beauty and a real flyer.