wooohoo

got my first drive in a 6 legger volvo fl12 yesterday .

i have driven the 4x2 fl12 a good few times now but wasnt really expecting to be given a 6 legger so soon.
it was coupled to a 44ft tri axle fridge with just over 38 tonne on so this was by far the heaviest i have ever pulled .

it was a straight forward trunk job which i really enjoyed aprt from driving the best part of the night in very thick fog.

all in all another good learning shift and roll on the next one

volvo fl12

Didn’t know Volvo made an fl12.

Ken.

meant to be fl10

They did actually make a few FL12 I seem to remember, but they didnt really take off as the FH had just come out I think, so that kind of killed em. Please correct me if I am wrong. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I do actually,seem to remember that Volvo did make an FL12,but I think it was only in rigid form,and meant for tippers,skip wagons and the like.I think it was at the point where the FL and the FH crossed,so it would have been an FL,with the FH12 engine in,but I would think they were a fairly rare beast.

Ken.

The FL12 was the forerunner to the FM12, and as has been previously stated there were relatively few made.

I have seen a few tractors knocking about as well as 8-wheel tippers.

smcaul:
They did actually make a few FL12 I seem to remember, but they didnt really take off as the FH had just come out I think, so that kind of killed em. Please correct me if I am wrong. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you are right but they didnt make many and i think it was because of the launch of the fh

the FL12 came in standard or globetrotter tractor/rigid chassis was built at the end of the FLs prodution run it was built to see if customers would buy a relitavily high horsepower truck with a small cab as it turned out people did good job really as the planned replacement the fm also came as a globetrotter aswell.cab design airflow of norfolk do a globetrotter conversion with an xl globetrotter conversion for the fm so if ya want you can get an fm globetrotter xl now theres not many of them about :laughing:

i driven a few FL12, s. artics. but being 6 foot 3 i found i didnt really fit.
and my pet hate was them bloody bong,bong noises when a warning light came on. which thay always did :cry:

my pet hate was them bloody bong,bong noises when a warning light came on. which thay always did

When we replaced the fleet at Exel/Somerfields various sites in 2001,our new FM’s came from Thomas Hardie on Merseyside somewhere,and each depot were ‘given’ an FL10 as a bit of a freebie.The one we got was in tidy order,but had about 700.000+kms on it,and everytime you got in it,all you could here was,bong,bong,bong.

Until one day,one of our lads decided to, ‘ahem’ modify the wiring under the dash.

Bong no more. :laughing:

Ken.

do you mean like this quinny■■? :wink:

That must be one of the last FL’s they’d got,because it’s in silver.

Only half of the Sherburn fleet got painted that colour,(FM’s and Renault Premium day cabs.) after they arrived in blue.Mine was one of them.

Ken.

dave:
i driven a few FL12, s. artics. but being 6 foot 3 i found i didnt really fit.
and my pet hate was them bloody bong,bong noises when a warning light came on. which thay always did :cry:

I’m 6’ 3" too and I found the FL7 six wheeler had excellent adjustment for me, are the FL12s different? Cos the FL7 had the bong bong bong noises as well. :laughing:

i found that even though everything had plenty of adjustment i could not get the seat as far back as i would have liked. and im glad i never had to do any nights out in it.
i also rember that if there was any warning lights on accompannied by the dreaded volvo BONG,BONG noises ,then the cruise control would not work.

I suppose I like to sit up rather than back, but you’re right that it doesn’t go very far. No cruise control on the FL7 :frowning: .

My first truck was an FL10 360, P210 YFC, For Fullers Logistics, It used to have a dodgy bonnet on it so I got quite used to the Bong noise. Even went from Reading to Heathrow with it going bong at 4am, Wasn’t until I got to garage and went to pull away that I realised it was the diff lock warning, The night shunter had put it on for some reason. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: The bonnet took ages to sort out as Volvo didnt think there was a problem, apart from that I really liked the FL, But I did get brand new so that might have accounted for the rose tinted glasses. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

dave:

That sends shivers down my spine… uurgghhh
They’ve still got a few Kwiksave Red and white ones left at Tewkes and Ross… :frowning: The most god awful ‘thing’ i’ve ever had the misfortune to drive…
Not that the FM is all that much better IMHO, but atleast they’re sleepers, so there’s room for your kit…

I bet that trailer is still going tho… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t recognise the store…■■ Is it uupp north… (north of Brum… :wink: )

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Oopps… double post… :blush:

chrisie,
the red and white ones are scanias.