Used Trucks On Truck Trader etc

Exactly you have a budget in mind and if it’s too much walk away.
If buying a truck you are limiting your options by only looking at ones priced as 90 % of ads for trucks there’s no price.
Then again reading most of diesel dogs posts his trucking insight comes from watching convoy

Towman:
I agree its to suit the trader but cant see how it could affect what the buyer pays?
could you explain?

its not how it affects what the buyer pays…it affects what the buyer might pay…that figure being more than the dealer needs…he will always try to steer you into what do you think its worth? to see how you value it…it all works from a script in selling to suckers.i never used it personally as I preferred my own way,but its just one way of sales that suits some.same thing as eye contact,taking control of the conversation,touching your arm,then theres giving you a cup of chernoble temperature coffee so he has you for 15 mins til you drink it to make sure he rams the deal right up you…when you go to a main agent and your kid goes into the playromm,you think,what a nice gesture,in reality its so your misses isn’t distracted and can get the car sold.
the nice salesman is there to pull your pants down as far as possible,smiling at you all the way,and laughing at you as soon as you leave.dont kid yourself otherwise.same as all the insurances and finance deals,there all trying to stick you for as much as poss without you being aware,and letting you think you got good deal.

kr79:
Exactly you have a budget in mind and if it’s too much walk away.
If buying a truck you are limiting your options by only looking at ones priced as 90 % of ads for trucks there’s no price.
Then again reading most of diesel dogs posts his trucking insight comes from watching convoy

and there was me thinking that 30 + years on and off working as a truckie(self employed and employed),3 trips to Saudi years ago,and numerous years running in Europe plus the trips I still do was enough to give me valid opinions in here. ive only seen convoy once,and cant remember much about it other than the 1st 5 mins,and that id have enjoyed ploughing ali McGraw. :wink:

I don’t ever phone any dealer that puts POA just a kite-flying chancer trying to waste your time to get as much as they can for something.

I’m surprised the magazine publishers don’t try and rein it in as frankly who wants to spend money buying a magazine that’s just double page spreads for the same advertisers, like Chris Hodge, and a load or truck pictures with POA underneath them?

dieseldog999:

Towman:
I agree its to suit the trader but cant see how it could affect what the buyer pays?
could you explain?

its not how it affects what the buyer pays…it affects what the buyer might pay…that figure being more than the dealer needs…he will always try to steer you into what do you think its worth? to see how you value it…it all works from a script in selling to suckers.i never used it personally as I preferred my own way,but its just one way of sales that suits some.same thing as eye contact,taking control of the conversation,touching your arm,then theres giving you a cup of chernoble temperature coffee so he has you for 15 mins til you drink it to make sure he rams the deal right up you…when you go to a main agent and your kid goes into the playromm,you think,what a nice gesture,in reality its so your misses isn’t distracted and can get the car sold.
the nice salesman is there to pull your pants down as far as possible,smiling at you all the way,and laughing at you as soon as you leave.dont kid yourself otherwise.same as all the insurances and finance deals,there all trying to stick you for as much as poss without you being aware,and letting you think you got good deal.

Christ you must be any sales mans nightmare!
Do you wear a tin foil hat??

Own Account Driver:
I don’t ever phone any dealer that puts POA just a kite-flying chancer trying to waste your time to get as much as they can for something.

I’m surprised the magazine publishers don’t try and rein it in as frankly who wants to spend money buying a magazine that’s just double page spreads for the same advertisers, like Chris Hodge, and a load or truck pictures with POA underneath them?

When you sell something do you not get as much as you can?
Surely that’s how the world goes round

I’ve just flicked through CM and I would say 80-90% don’t have prices or POA
Some of the dealers have been going years & clearly coping ok with out you & dieseldogs custom,

I just can’t understand the paranoia, I’ve bought plenty of vehicles POA & ive never been asked how much I think it’s worth or any other guff!
I see something I want, phone them up ask how much they want for it, if it’s reasonably priced go look at it, haggle a bit for fun & deal done!
No smoke and mirrors, strong coffee or ball pit in sight!

Towman:

Own Account Driver:

When you sell something do you not get as much as you can?
Surely that’s how the world goes round

I’ve just flicked through CM and I would say 80-90% don’t have prices or POA
Some of the dealers have been going years & clearly coping ok with out you & dieseldogs custom,

I just can’t understand the paranoia, I’ve bought plenty of vehicles POA & ive never been asked how much I think it’s worth or any other guff!
I see something I want, phone them up ask how much they want for it, if it’s reasonably priced go look at it, haggle a bit for fun & deal done!
No smoke and mirrors, strong coffee or ball pit in sight!

Yeah, but if the price was stated, you would only have to ring up the ones you were seriously interested in,
How many times have you rung up & put the phone down because he was asking far too much?

Towman:

dieseldog999:

Towman:
could you explain?

im only stating how it works in the trade. obviously your on the outside looking in. when you go into mega places like anycarfinance etc.theres a security bod taking your details and reg…by the time you’ve parked.theyve hpi d your car and the salesman knows how much drip is left on it and if your worth dealing with or not.if you have no insight into sales,then theres not much point comenting on it. before I sold up I had a petrol station/workshop/car lot/valeting shop,kinda motoring complex site.i would know plenty in the trade with every trick to buy and sell.if I took you ot for a test drive,id park you round the back when we returned.leave you with your mate to have another look…then go in and watch/listen to you on camera so id know how much to lift out of you when you came round to haggle. the salesman is out to take your money.poa is only another means of doing so for mugs.theres kickbacks from the finance co,insurance co,warranty co.just lots of options for pulling your pants down without you knowing it.

dieseldog999:

Towman:

dieseldog999:

Towman:
could you explain?

im only stating how it works in the trade. obviously your on the outside looking in. when you go into mega places like anycarfinance etc.theres a security bod taking your details and reg…by the time you’ve parked.theyve hpi d your car and the salesman knows how much drip is left on it and if your worth dealing with or not.if you have no insight into sales,then theres not much point comenting on it. before I sold up I had a petrol station/workshop/car lot/valeting shop,kinda motoring complex site.i would know plenty in the trade with every trick to buy and sell.if I took you ot for a test drive,id park you round the back when we returned.leave you with your mate to have another look…then go in and watch/listen to you on camera so id know how much to lift out of you when you came round to haggle. the salesman is out to take your money.poa is only another means of doing so for mugs.theres kickbacks from the finance co,insurance co,warranty co.just lots of options for pulling your pants down without you knowing it.

car sales is a totally different world to truck sales, of which i have plenty of insight from both sides of the fence & as already mentioned very few (if any) car dealers use POA anyway
Hauliers know trucks its there business too, they have a very good idea of what truck they want, why & what they should be paying
car buyers quite often know diddly squat about cars & quite often get there pants pulled down because of it

the truck dealers have been using POA for many years for what ever reason & seem to be doing very well on it (including the one I worked for for 5+ years as a sales man)
if you were looking for a specific truck & found 2 for sale one POA & one priced you’d be a fool by not contacting the POA to inquire the asking price to compare deals, for the price of a call or email it could save you a couple of hundred or a couple of £K :unamused:

I know personally,then on principal alone,i wouldn’t ever contact someone advertising poa as it would invariably be a waste of time.looks like theres others on here with similar views.for me I wouldn’t do it.i buy quite a lot of vans and campers from ebay now,and its the same story as to the clientele that id buy from.if you don’t tick my boxes on the phone,then I wouldn’t care what the price was.i would just pass.it goes without saying I couldn’t elabourate as to what those boxes would be as no doubt it would be six of the belt and post removed again in here. :slight_smile:

What’s with these Truckworldtrade ads constantly being repeated? They’ve shown the same photos of Daf 8wheelers, Merc mixers etc for ages. Always “a 100 trucks in stock” and “make a sensible offer” (on a 2002 wrecked Daf).

This junk’s been for sale for months…
trucks.autotrader.co.uk/mobile/s … geNumber=2

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/mobile/s … geNumber=7

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/mobile/s … geNumber=8

I think you’ve got champagne tastes for lemonade money as you seem to think everything is overpriced junk. You’re not getting an immaculate tipper for less than £50,000. Anything else will be perfectly useable, just not up to your high expectations. A tipper is £120,000-£150,000 new so even well worn 10 year old tippers are worth a considerable amount of money.

There’s loads of tippers on Autotrader at the minute, just click the ‘exclude POA’ adverts when searching. Law Exports has a few and they’re usually spot on with the values, fairly easy to deal with. Walker Movements is another decent priced dealer. If you think all their’s is overpriced junk then I’d just give up looking for a tipper.

maurice:
A tipper is £120,000-£150,000 new.

Sparshatts selling Merc Arocs for under £100k brand new actually.
You must be easily pleased if you think those I posted a link to are worth more than scrap value. £10995 for a battered 6w Leyland Daf (not the Daf CF but the earlier one) or an early Renault Premium with a bashed body.
One of the trucks on Walkers’ site recently was a heap of junk-I used to drive it no way was it worth £30000+.

Muckaway:
This junk’s been for sale for months…
trucks.autotrader.co.uk/mobile/s … geNumber=2

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/mobile/s … geNumber=7

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/mobile/s … geNumber=8

A few months is nothing when the right man makes the right offer it will sell although often sit in the yard for months & months after ,I’ve had stuff here 12 months and not got round to advertising yet !

Muckaway:

maurice:
A tipper is £120,000-£150,000 new.

Sparshatts selling Merc Arocs for under £100k brand new actually.
You must be easily pleased if you think those I posted a link to are worth more than scrap value. £10995 for a battered 6w Leyland Daf (not the Daf CF but the earlier one) or an early Renault Premium with a bashed body.
One of the trucks on Walkers’ site recently was a heap of junk-I used to drive it no way was it worth £30000+.

And plenty of 1 year old trucks around that are over £120,000 which would have cost over £140,000 new. I’m not easily pleased, I just happen to know the value of used trucks. I’ve bought over 50 trucks over the years and always looking at used trucks sites and going to truck auctions so I know how much trucks are worth. There must be well over 300 tippers on autotrader/eBay with prices that are advertised so if you can’t find one that isn’t overpriced junk then just give up.

The old DAF trucks fetch good money for export reasons so yes, that DAF is worth £11,000. Same goes for most of those older trucks you’re criticising, most will be destined for export and worth more than the newer models. You can’t blame the dealer for that.

I’ve always thought walkers prices are pretty fair for what the stuff is.
Tipper values are dependent on how much work is about some well as condition of the motor.
I saw a quote for a new g490 scania a Thompson muck master a few bits and bobs on it and was over 120k.
As the other guy said what may look old wrecks to us can make strong money on export where what we may think is a decent motor won’t be looked at.
I know an exporter who will pay strong money for any six cylinder scania but won’t touch a v8

Lots of K. Rouse wagons for sale, almost new. Wonder why they’d sell such new kit off en masse?
Maurice, it’s a 6w grab wagon we want, not many on there that don’t look worn out.

Ebay is going to be your best bet, the right truck will come up sooner or later. There’s more OD’s and small companies selling their own truck on there than there is on Autotrader and some of the prices can be very keen.

I have “most recent ads” setting on my phone, so why do a load of trucks which’ve been on for ages suddenly appear first?
I think they’re all from the same dealer, so is this due to them being readvertised?
It’s getting boring now, seeing a load of yellow Actros 8wheelers with hideous greedy boards, followed by a green and white Hino grab wagon, then an equally ugly purple and black Scania. M and M Acquisitions must be the UKs number one dealer in the ugliest paddy wagons. :laughing: