Used Truck Prices - How much dealers make!

Just reading in the CM on page 76 about the following vehicles:

MAN TGA 18.430 XXL 04/54 , List Price £61250, Cap Price £23,750
SCANIA TOPLINE R SERIES 420 04/54 , List Price £67818, Cap Price £34,350
MERC 1844LS MEGASPACE 04/54 , List Price £64220, Cap Price £26,750
VOLVO FH GLOBETROTTER 420 04/54, List Price £79,171, Cap Price £33,400

They are all 4*2, top of the range cabs. I couldnt see you picking up a R SERIES 54 REG 420 Topline for that price in any dealer , more inot the forties!

Just goes to show how much dealers make out of you. One sale per week is making them around £5000 plus. what do you get for that, 3 months driveline warranty that costs around £300! if that.

Dealers are a big con!really do make some money out of us. Theres also a report on the 2543, sayting the price for trade is £17,700 ex vat, retail £22,750 ex vat, so if you are buying one or have just bought on you have just made the dealer £5000!!! THERES MORE MONEY IN SELLING THEM THAN OPERATING THEM, Believe me! Just look at McGeown in Armagh!

www.mcgeowncommercials.com

Just a few thoughts from the other side of the coin…

Need major capital to get into it in even a small way

To sell one a week at retail prices, you would need what ? A stock of 10 or more (if you’re lucky you might flog one a week).

Need to take big risks buying, every commercial I have seen sold at auction is “as seen”

Need a big yard to store them

Need to spend a lot advertising them

Need to be prepared to risk a big hit on profits when the “book” drops your stock every month & you havn’t shifted it.

Looking at the prices above, I reckon they are bulk buy prices, wheere the big dealers buy 20 or 30 a tim “as is” from a big haulier. Go to a CV auction & see what they sell, most need work before they go on a forecourt !

Those outside haulage see container O/D’s “earning” a guaranteed £1600 a week, I think this might be a similar observation.

IMHO, yes theres a lot of money in it, but also a lot of investment, work, and risk.

Of course if any of you have the capital, knowledge & space, the world is your lobster :slight_smile:

well I was on the other side of selling cars. and I;'m very interested in the truck market.
you really need lots of capital to do it.
Here in Australia the market is tightly held the money is in how you buy your trucks and what you pay for them. the prices over here are alot stronger than in the uk and the trucks have higher milage. dealers need to have the right people to repairs etc at the right price as well. 5000 pounds profit sounds good when you think its drive in drive out but quite often there is a lot of background costs involved. here in aust trucks can take a while to sell 3-6 months so you need to be able to hold them for a while and if you make mistakes you pay dearly for them.
this market isnot for the feint hearted but can and will make you rich if you have the finacial depth to last the first couple of years. selling is definatly better than owning and operating.
cheers
meggala

meggala My mate went to OZ potless.He lived in Sydney with his wife and started in the merchant banker game. It was when commercial computers took up a whole room. He connected the companies ( TNT ect.) with the computer outfits & took 2% of the total cost…He retired to Spain @ 50 . That was 14 yrs ago…He told me he has enough dosh to last him until he is 80… He spends £40,000 a year on entertaining ect. "LONG LIVE OZ…!! :smiley: Joke is he still doesnt know how to work a computer... ( He hates em )

yep australia is one of the few countries in the world where you can land with $10 or 10 pound in your pocket and in five years you can be very comfortable.
in 2000 we returned to austraiia after living in greece for a while. we arrived with very little in 18 months we had a house and 2 years later we up graded to a 350 sqmeter place 17 klm from the city.
the people here judge you on the work you can do not your race colour creed or the friends and family you have. the cost of living is reasonable in relation to the wages. and we are paying around 57 p a liter for diesel :smiley:
cheers
meggala

meggala Thats what my mate said. In England he couldn`t even get a job when he finished his National Service. Went OZ with his wife. After all kinds of ups & downs became a millionair . He reckoned that when the going was good he was making 600,000 Adollars a year. But he also said it would have been impossible in UK with the class system. He said that the people he was doing business with on first name terms would not have let him in the building if it were UK. Although he was born in the UK he classes himself as OZ or Spanish. I stayed at his place in Spain but I really got fed up with the 24/7 pom-bashing.

meggala:
well I was on the other side of selling cars. and I;'m very interested in the truck market.
you really need lots of capital to do it.
Here in Australia the market is tightly held the money is in how you buy your trucks and what you pay for them. the prices over here are alot stronger than in the uk and the trucks have higher milage. dealers need to have the right people to repairs etc at the right price as well. 5000 pounds profit sounds good when you think its drive in drive out but quite often there is a lot of background costs involved. here in aust trucks can take a while to sell 3-6 months so you need to be able to hold them for a while and if you make mistakes you pay dearly for them.
this market isnot for the feint hearted but can and will make you rich if you have the finacial depth to last the first couple of years. selling is definatly better than owning and operating.
cheers
meggala

I was in Melbourne last year for 6 months, I returned back to the UK as I couldnt to afford there what I have here. True its cheap if you’er spending Streling, but earning Aussie dollars its not, spending $70 AUS on filling yer car up was like spending £70 here. I was earning good bucks there compared to other industries ( $125,000 ) pa and still found it expensive. I was living in Heatherton near cheltenham, working in Springvale for Coles Myer.

where are you based ?

I was looking at importing trucks in Oz as their trucks there are so dear compared to here but had problems finding delaer who was interested in taking them.

i can sell you a scania 124/470 topline classic on a 54 plate, immacculate condition with extra’s - one driver from new - £46,000
it’s the one in the picture at the side of my name, plain white.

well I imported cars to aust from japan for 3 years.
we have tough laws any thing built after 88 needs to be eligable and not catered for by the original makers.
compliance is strict,costly and lenghtly not worth the effort. there are a few people doing parallel importing of parts for models like scania,merc and volvo. lots of capital needed etc.
I’m in the west of melbourne just off the ring road near deer park in a new suburb. we all get used to our own way of life and our costs.
there are nicer parts of melbourne than heatherton as well.
also the distances we travel in our daily lives are quite far I did 200 klm today not working just running around. trucks here tend to travel much further per year than over in the UK. a mate of mine jsut got a new truck had it 5 weeks and has done 7000 klms and he works within melbourne 5 days a week.
cheers
meggala

can sell you a scania 124/470 topline classic on a 54 plate, immacculate condition with extra’s - one driver from new - £46,000

they cant give scania’s away here atm and with a single drive eeeeeek is all i can say we are a 6X4 country. not trying to offend its a great looking truck but unsuitable for our type of work.

for those interested have a look at our truck market this site is a good example. truckhub.ninemsn.com.au/portal/a … fault.aspx
you can spend hours on there

I notice that Mack has got Trilex wheels…AAaaaaaaagh!!!