TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

CRACK ON TO MACON:
Bowlers were based in Basildon Essex and did regular trips to spain,italy
germany ,holland we pulled for them when i worked for D.F.C INTERNATIONAL
(Dons Donkeys) from rainham we had twelve motors on for them used to go over Tuesday night various times ship out to Italy normally Vicenza with the lead ingots clear thursday morning reload friday home sat night sun morning
Baccy Bill.Biffo,Ginger Harry, Jimmy the Pump.Dobbo,Vic Dillon Jockie1 and 2
Lenny Bunn, My good self and countless others who`s names are buried deep
in my ever fading memory, Bowler had a few motors driven by Bobby Scott
John (the dago) Patterson and johns brother in law Stevie. his trailors were
mostly supercubes and were “crap” any one fer down the Blanc wiv no brakes
LOL,they were numbered P.G.B then a number which we named
“pray going back” you rarely got weekended and i know i could not do that trip now in that timescale (containers have softened me up a tad) but i remember
those days with great affection and i am still in contact with all those drivers
and they will all be at the reunion in December thats how close we all got.
In Memory of George Barclay (DFC INTERNATIONAL) died in spain (Girona)
17th November 1989 whose oldest son Dean is in Afghanistan at this present
time and im sure we all wish him a safe return home. :wink: :wink:

Would that be the same ‘Dago’ who ended up on Mckellars Crack on? Is the old sod still about?

truckerash:

propa lorry:
hiya ash,just wonderin have you any pix,memories or anything of xjo 905r,my friend has the remains of this lorry,apparently it was used by the who as part of their road crew,maybe owned by a part of their group of companies?
It was like a creamey colour with some wierd stripes ont side with gold bits??most of the parts have been gathered so will be starting soon.
he used to own 904R for a few years which he sold last year to someone in staffordshire.
started runnin abroad again so catch yer end o week.

Hi TERRY: took a few days, but i found these:
Havnt got pic of 905R, but these are obviously from the same fleet.
I did quite a bit of work to Shepperton and saw the trucks parked there regularly. There was also a massive Winnebago with a trailer, all painted the same as the trucks. Impressive looking kit!
The black and white photo is courtesy of DawsonRentals and was taken outside the Royal Albert Hall for a publicity ad.
All the trucks were leased from Dawsons who at the time were based in Leighton Buzzard (now at Milton Keynes).

and while were on the subject of rock n roll truckin
heres a couple more for EUROMAT

[/b]

Thanks ash ill pass the info on.
[/quote]

truckerash:
REXYU glad to see you are enjoying the photos and stories on here :smiley:
so: because i am a nice kinda guy :confused: (some would disagree…especially those who are “still” waiting for photos :confused: ), heres a little something especially for you…

think i got a Transcon pic somewhere, have to dig her out…

blimey Ash,i dont beleive it,A818 PBK .she ended her days on coombe valley driven by a scot called Archie Turner(part of the furniture).
When i was about 16 and at college used to work there on fridays n saturdays in the workshop,i used to do the levels,tyre pressures,crack the wheelnuts,oil n filter,do the lights,shake the steerin etc.
I remember Archie puttin that one down a ditch in france bout 90/91 with a full load of paper out of the dover mill,she was brought back home,repaired and worked for a few more years before probably being bought for export,Gary Mountford from crayford usually buys em.
Keep em comin,oh yeah any chance of Traction GB’s B497 YKK 2800 daf that my dad had from new?

no mate that guys name was Brian he worked for Mckellers for yonks
he lives down the south coast but always comes to the reunions
now he was a character :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

harry:
routier Dublin Meat was owned by my mate Bunny ,who lived in Dublin. Ex-SCA driver. That snap was taken in Smithfield.

bunnydidnt own dublin meat.i remember him well.
originally from kent in england.he had a contract with a guy in brussels to deliver meat from irl/uk suppliers to the belgian markets.
i did my first trip for the same co bunny worked for.
1978,lambs from north devon to brussells anderlecht.
bunny moved to dublin because of work reasons,he was a good driver,taught me about hanging beef on spread axle trailers.
he was involved with a transport company called co-meat.
they did work for dublin meats.the work i did was always the brussell job and frozen chips back to ireland.
there was no traffic jams on the ostend/brussell motorway in those days.
you very rarely heard of fines either.

When I worked for Frigoscandia I used to load back from Irish Meat Packers in Grand Canal Street in Dublin. A desperate place.There were some evil looking creatures lurking around.Never experienced any trouble.

Spardo:

truckerash:
“Crack on to Macon”…what a great name :laughing:
says it all about running down to Italy. Crack on to Macon, turn left and head for
the Blanc…ah yes, the memories…and the hairpins :confused:

the monkeyhouse.
the naked lady statue in memory of the massacared village.i think its cerdan.

charlie one:
When I worked for Frigoscandia I used to load back from Irish Meat Packers in Grand Canal Street in Dublin. A desperate place.There were some evil looking creatures lurking around.Never experienced any trouble.

they were prostitutes charlie.
i used to load out of grand canal street myself…
it all gone now. an apartment in that area dublin 4.
now would cost you in excess of a million.
dublin 4 could be likened to chelsea in london.
overpriced and a waste of money,but someone is foolish enough to pay it.

greg50:

charlie one:

they were prostitutes charlie.
i used to load out of grand canal street myself…
it all gone now. an apartment in that area dublin 4.
now would cost you in excess of a million.
dublin 4 could be likened to chelsea in london.
overpriced and a waste of money,but someone is foolish enough to pay it.

commonly known as D4! expensive place to live so, where ya from in Ireland Greg50 ?

i just spent the last 3 hours on this topic.altough i am irish,i do remember a lot of these english companies.
i used to meet a lot of the drivers in carisio and places like that.
so i am fimiliar with the 80s and early 90s.
i still go out an odd time if i am offered any trips.
its getting less and less now as the eastern europeans seem to have takin it all over.

2 more Irish Companies I remember Buffalo Freight and Lynx, Lynx had black 141’s I have a photo somewhere.

this is a picture of a truck iw as driving.
its from truckphoto4sale.you will notice a copyright on it.
i will say in my defense,i dont remember this photo been taken,nor did i give permission for it to be taken.
it was me driving as i drove this truck for years.
does anybody remember this company?

Yes I remember them arent they still going ? yes that truck site TruckPhotos4sale has a bit of a cheek really, dont they need the drivers /owners permission to take the photos if they r gonna sell them ?

hello there routier.i am orignally from walkinstown in dublin.

i went out on the european job in the late 70s and stayed at it right up to 2000.i still do an odd trip,thats if i get an offer…
i remember lynx myself and transfreeze,i thing j.j. ohara was the boss.there was oshea overseas/comeat/eirhaul.
i remember them all but cant remember the names.
i gather you are from ireland,where are you?

Just one off FB nmp, Buzzer.

74205819_1111732305698326_8248695720891121664_n (2).jpg

interesting topic this.its now about 4 and a half hours since i started on it.
have to get off,i have goods on ebay.time to check it out.

Im Irish descent, born in Liverpool ,all my family are from Ireland now
hoping to move back there in 2/3 years !!!

JJ Ohara from Transfreeze now he takes me back now, do you ever remember a bar near the docks in Dublin called Kellys Bar ? Cant remember where it was exactly but was a popular haunt with my dad during his days in the 70s/early 80s.
There was another company n now called Steerside who my uncle used to work for in Dublin, dont know if you remember them… All black trucks / fridges…

Big company in its day but gone now, Buzzer.

dieseldog6:
2 more Irish Companies I remember Buffalo Freight and Lynx, Lynx had black 141’s I have a photo somewhere.

come on then Dieseldog, lets see your photo :wink:

heres mine: dunno who the fella is. Reckon he’s chuffed that he’s got a V8? :smiley:

greg50:
this is a picture of a truck iw as driving.
its from truckphoto4sale.you will notice a copyright on it.
i will say in my defense,i dont remember this photo been taken,nor did i give permission for it to be taken.
it was me driving as i drove this truck for years.

and Routier wrote: Yes I remember them arent they still going ? yes that truck site TruckPhotos4sale has a bit of a cheek really, dont they need the drivers /owners permission to take the photos if they r gonna sell them ?es anybody remember this company?

As a truck photographer for over 30 years, I can assure you guys that i dont need anyones permission to take photos out on the public highways.
Please dont think im being arrogant here.
I do ask permission if i visit a haulage depot, or if i see a driver sitting in the cab in a layby/service area - I will always “try” and ask (thats if he speaks English of course), but there is nothing to stop me or anyone else standing on the roadside taking pics as the trucks go by.

If i had to get permission for all these photos ive taken on here, there would hardly be any and how sad would that be :frowning: :frowning:

So long as its the original photographer that took the photo, they dont need permission to sell them but what i will say is that there are some “people” out there who will copy truck photos from web sites, or obtain them (borrow) from others, then they will print a load off and sell them individually on other web sites and sometimes be able to make a fortune!
In my view this is wrong :angry: and it is not fair on the person whos original photo they got. Whether it says “COPYRIGHT” on the photo or not.
A friend of mine has CD’s of 200 truck photos selling for £15 each. I then saw his photos on a web site selling for £1.00 each!!
I dont charge for my photos. I beleive in sharing some of my truckin memories with everyone and if anyone wants to swop pics, no problem.

Sorry to get on my soap box lads… ive said my bit now. I hope you all continue to enjoy mine and other peoples photos on this topic.
LONG LIVE TRUCKIN IN THE 80’s :smiley: