Yorkshire firm's

hartley:
hi all does anybody remember d sharp and son from barnsley my dad used to drive for them in the 80s

yes my dad brian newton work there for 20 years working for duncan sharp

hilltop4:
Hi folks,
sorry to ■■■■ in…my dad also used to drive for sharpy’s from down engine lane before they moved onto the industrial estate at carlton I remember him driving a red atki borderer with a broad white band around the middle of the cab. i also seem to remember that yard being at the end of a very long straight bumpy track■■?. If i was to ask him , I could even get the reg number of his old wagon. He loved driving for sharpy, and he has always got plenty of tales form the highways to tell. Maybe some of you chaps remember him, Stuart McDermott■■? any takers■■? Do any of you have any pics…I am looking at re-creating his wagon as a model■■? my dad brian newton rembers your dad well he ues to drive l69hel my dad says thay dint have time for pics back then it wood be nice to here back from u but he doesnt drive the computer verey well i belev steve batley ones your dads old truk but dont no if he still has it steve batley was a realy nice person hu work there as well as a fiter

turt:

hartley:
hi all does anybody remember d sharp and son from barnsley my dad used to drive for them in the 80s

Yes I remember D Sharp and Son I worked for Duncan in the mid 80’s and knew your Dad if his name was Steve, my name is Les Turton. I worked with all the Barnsley & Huddersfield lads and had one hell of a laugh. If I remember rightly your Dad left and went to Cutts at Barnsley where he had an accident at Warcop and I believe his son (perhaps you) was with him at the time. Nice to hear any other stories from the lads.

Anyone remember George Cooper from Shafton,ran maroon 8-legger AEC tankers on tar work?
A photo would be nice… :sunglasses:

Chris Webb:
Anyone remember George Cooper from Shafton,ran maroon 8-legger AEC tankers on tar work?

Chris didn’t Ronnie and Ralph drive for Coopers before they came to Sykes both Barnsley lads as they did a lot of the tar work
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

Chris Webb:

Chris didn’t Ronnie and Ralph drive for Coopers before they came to Sykes both Barnsley lads as they did a lot of the tar work
cheers Johnnie

I didn’t know any of their driver’s names Johnnie,they did quite a bit of work out of Orgreave and odd time YTD Kilnhurst in the 60s and 70s,like Evans.I don’t remember them running artics only 8-wheelers.They never seemed to be in a hurry,not like Tanker Hire and LPG. :open_mouth:

The Biker:
Someone mentioned Lax and Shaws in this thread and I used to drive this delivering Silica sand from the top of Blubberhouses on the A59 to Lax and Shaws in Leeds.

HI biker , its a bit off subject I know but when did the silica quarry close ? I go past it regular and Ive heard its mothballed and fitters still service the plant Seems a long time to me since it produced , and it only actually ran for afew years didnt it ? Jim

Jim

Was talking to a bloke at work the other day who used to work there and you are right it is mothballed waiting for the price of sand to go up.

Think it was shut down about 10 years ago.

Pete

Anyone remeber flintoff’s from ossett? :slight_smile:

flintoff:
Anyone remeber flintoff’s from ossett? :slight_smile:

They were green liveried motors as I remember,but that’s all I’m afraid.
Is your kid an ex England test player from Lancs? :smiley:

old scammells one star .651DWE the old mk 1, fred drove this for many years on trunk to Irvine ,SKF.the handyman with the sleeper was one of many made by myself ,

Chris Webb:

george cooper was my dad , i grew up in the yard at shafton and have quite afew memories and photos as ive just come on this site im not sure how to upload them.

angela cooper:

Chris Webb:

george cooper was my dad , i grew up in the yard at shafton and have quite afew memories and photos as ive just come on this site im not sure how to upload them.

If your photos are on your computer just click on the post reply button and there`s an upload attachment button which lets you search your photos click on the photo you want to post and press submit

Hello everyone

Here is a picture of me at a very young age stood in front of a Pete Osbourne Scania. These were a great looking fleet which were based near stairfoot in Barnsley. I can just remember being in their yard one day when the f16 was being cleaned.
James

del949:

No pics but I spent a lot of time underneath Obanks and SPC motors ! , and R Dennison’s fleet, also Arnold Lavers old Fodens/Albions/[zb] 140’s

I’ll try and avoid the auto censor :smiley:

fodens/Albions/ BMC F F K 140

Just found this thread. I started work at Smith Parkinson &Cole in 1961 as apprentice mechanic. Had one short break went to Tillotsons A E C on Preston St but soon went back to S P C. Was still there to the end and we moved up to Dennisons on Tong St, hated every minute, too much them and us. Sorry to say I have no photos but some great memories. I think British Fuel Co took over don’t remember Carlton holdings in my time there. But the brain may be fading a bit now. :laughing:
Les

you are correct…in part.
the motors had the shield with BFC (british fuel company)in it. BFC were owned at that time by carlton holdings.
I didn’t know SPC had their own garage, how come some of their trucks came up to Fairfield St for service?

lespullen - do you remember this then?

del949:
you are correct…in part.
the motors had the shield with BFC (british fuel company)in it. BFC were owned at that time by carlton holdings.
I didn’t know SPC had their own garage, how come some of their trucks came up to Fairfield St for service?

I see where your coming from with the BFC, Carlton Holdings bit now. We had a garage on Shearbridge Rd that held the whole fleet 30 to 40 trucks can not remember the exact number, all under cover and doors locked, concrete floors diesel pumps, all workshop facilities, pits, stores etc 4 to 5 mechanics 2 to 3 apprentices, great place to work. I think some work came up to Fairfield St towards the back end as the staff thinned out.
Les

LeeJ:
lespullen - do you remember this then?

Yes what a beast.
Les.

I took that picture in the 90’s but never got to know anything about it? picture was taken in Bradford I think. whats the story behind it?

LeeJ:
I took that picture in the 90’s but never got to know anything about it? picture was taken in Bradford I think. whats the story behind it?

Don’t know much about the truck what you see is what you get, old and hard work.
Les.