Yorkshire firm's

lespullan:

LeeJ:
I took that picture in the 90’s but never got to know anything about it? picture was taken in Bradford I think. whats the story behind it?

Don’t know much about the truck what you see is what you get, old and hard work.
Les.

Hi lee, I just put in AEC Matador Q153JWX in on google it came up with sites containing photos of the old wrecker, have a look you will be surprised

lespullan:

del949:

No pics but I spent a lot of time underneath Obanks and SPC motors ! , and R Dennison’s fleet, also Arnold Lavers old Fodens/Albions/[zb] 140’s

I’ll try and avoid the auto censor :smiley:

fodens/Albions/ BMC F F K 140

Just found this thread. I started work at Smith Parkinson &Cole in 1961 as apprentice mechanic. Had one short break went to Tillotsons A E C on Preston St but soon went back to S P C. Was still there to the end and we moved up to Dennisons on Tong St, hated every minute, too much them and us. Sorry to say I have no photos but some great memories. I think British Fuel Co took over don’t remember Carlton holdings in my time there. But the brain may be fading a bit now. :laughing:
Les

hi lespullan I served my time as a mechanic at dennisons starting in 1969, my dad was a driver there, it certainly was a rough and ready place! I remember spc wagons moving to Dudley hill, I can still remember some of the drivers names, think spc workshop foreman was jack whitaker?
I have a couple of photos of vehicles that were based there, will try get them on here, all this is new to me!
there is a photo of a spc albion riever on flick r will try find it for you.

sturdyman:

lespullan:

del949:

No pics but I spent a lot of time underneath Obanks and SPC motors ! , and R Dennison’s fleet, also Arnold Lavers old Fodens/Albions/[zb] 140’s

Just found this thread. I started work at Smith Parkinson &Cole in 1961 as apprentice mechanic. Had one short break went to Tillotsons A E C on Preston St but soon went back to S P C. Was still there to the end and we moved up to Dennisons on Tong St, hated every minute, too much them and us. Sorry to say I have no photos but some great memories. I think British Fuel Co took over don’t remember Carlton holdings in my time there. But the brain may be fading a bit now. :laughing:
Les

hi lespullan I served my time as a mechanic at dennisons starting in 1969, my dad was a driver there, it certainly was a rough and ready place! I remember spc wagons moving to Dudley hill, I can still remember some of the drivers names, think spc workshop foreman was jack whitaker?
I have a couple of photos of vehicles that were based there, will try get them on here, all this is new to me!

Hi Sturdyman, I was Jack Whitakers apprentice so that gave me a good start in the job, he was a great mechanic and friend, we used to play some pranks on each other once welded his boots to the bench by the metal heel plates, we were once pushing a wagon over the pit Jack didn’t know the pit boards were out all of a sudden he vanished down the hole, luckily he didn’t get hurt, I still laugh about it to this day. There are only a couple of names that spring to mind from the garage staff at Fairfield St, think there was a mechanic called Peter and the tyre man called ■■■■, had a few pints with him in the Holm Lane Tavern. Good luck with the photos. Les.

lespullan:

sturdyman:

lespullan:

del949:

Les

Hi Sturdyman, I was Jack Whitakers apprentice so that gave me a good start in the job, he was a great mechanic and friend, we used to play some pranks on each other once welded his boots to the bench by the metal heel plates, we were once pushing a wagon over the pit Jack didn’t know the pit boards were out all of a sudden he vanished down the hole, luckily he didn’t get hurt, I still laugh about it to this day. There are only a couple of names that spring to mind from the garage staff at Fairfield St, think there was a mechanic called Peter and the tyre man called ■■■■, had a few pints with him in the Holm Lane Tavern. Good luck with the photos. Les.

hi lespullan
ha ha iforgot the jokes we used to play on each other! good ol health and safety. if you drank with ■■■■ corner in the holme lane my dad, lewis sturdy would have been with you! I remember a couple of spc drivers, ralph burton, think he drove a charrold conveyor? harry prest, and jack robinson who allways cycled everwhere! do you remember colin snee,think he came with spc as a mechanic? he left to be a insurance man! although I heard a while ago that he had passed away. was terry kay the w/shop foreman when you were there with jack sharp as his underhand? the mechanic called pete singleton moved to birkenshaw fire brigade in the workshop, I reckon he must be retired by now?
I remember when I was an apprentice, just passed my test being sent to lofthouse pit to change a rear spring on a aec marshall, on my arrival I realised I hadn’t brought my tools!! I daren’t go back so borrowed the tools from the nat coal board engineers!!
in the early seventies I was allways being sent out to fit the rear wheels and hubs back on the eight wheeler atkinsons we had! they used to fall off for fun until they realised the wheelnuts were being overtightened and not torqued!!
got to swop photos from old computer to new, working on it!

sturdyman:

lespullan:

sturdyman:

lespullan:

del949:

Les

hi lespullan
ha ha iforgot the jokes we used to play on each other! good ol health and safety. if you drank with ■■■■ corner in the holme lane my dad, lewis sturdy would have been with you! I remember a couple of spc drivers, ralph burton, think he drove a charrold conveyor? harry prest, and jack robinson who allways cycled everwhere! do you remember colin snee,think he came with spc as a mechanic? he left to be a insurance man! although I heard a while ago that he had passed away. was terry kay the w/shop foreman when you were there with jack sharp as his underhand? the mechanic called pete singleton moved to birkenshaw fire brigade in the workshop, I reckon he must be retired by now?
I remember when I was an apprentice, just passed my test being sent to lofthouse pit to change a rear spring on a aec marshall, on my arrival I realised I hadn’t brought my tools!! I daren’t go back so borrowed the tools from the nat coal board engineers!!
in the early seventies I was allways being sent out to fit the rear wheels and hubs back on the eight wheeler atkinsons we had! they used to fall off for fun until they realised the wheelnuts were being overtightened and not torqued!!
got to swop photos from old computer to new, working on it!

Hi Sturdyman,
Cannot put a face on your dad but the name certainly rings a bell, remember the drivers, Colin Snee did come with us and the insurance man bit is right shame if he passed away got on well with Colin, Terry and Jack were there as you said, Pete Singleton that’s the name, it wasn’t the easiest of jobs working in some of the pits and power stations, I once went out to a broken back spring on a long nosed Austin it had completely broke and axle had gone back in a foot of mud and freezing cold, nightmare, I used to get a lot of the breakdowns some good and a lot bad.

flintoff:
Anyone remeber flintoff’s from ossett? :slight_smile:

Any photos of Ogdens of Otley, They ran a lot of 4 wheeler tippers on the fly ash job a the North & South Stella power stations, It was stock piled where the Famous Metro Center Shopping outlet is now, A lot of the fly ash was taken down to The Cannon Park area in Middlesboro, Theo James had the job in the 70s, Regards Larry.

ALBUM%20(4)%20006.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:
Any photos of Ogdens of Otley, They ran a lot of 4 wheeler tippers on the fly ash job a the North & South Stella power stations, It was stock piled where the Famous Metro Center Shopping outlet is now, A lot of the fly ash was taken down to The Cannon Park area in Middlesboro, Theo James had the job in the 70s, Regards Larry.

Just these Larry ,don’t think they are what your looking for ,my brother inlaw was a site manager for Ogdens in the n/east,Vic

One more,

ALBUM%20(4)%20011.jpg

v7victor:
One more,

Does anyone remember if T.D.E. had these after ogdens finished with them,I remember seeing some years ago cant recollect the reg nos.
DSC_0402.JPG

Hi Sturdyman, Just doodling on You Tube found a short video with a photo of a Smith Parkinson & Cole Armstrong-Saurer, from way before my time but interesting, its in [old lorries previously unseen 22 makes of lorry at work 1930s to1970s] youtu.be/e160PxlssrU I found the Albion Reiver on flickr can not be sure of the driver, its not very clear possibly Andy Brown.
Les.

v7victor:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Just these Larry ,don’t think they are what your looking for ,my brother inlaw was a site manager for Ogdens in the n/east,Vic

Thanks V7Victor Its a start anyway, I used to deliver paper reels to a firm next door to their Otley Depot, & We used to collect drainage pipe stuff from there also, & take to a quarry at Powburn, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

v7victor:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Thanks V7Victor Its a start anyway, I used to deliver paper reels to a firm next door to their Otley Depot, & We used to collect drainage pipe stuff from there also, & take to a quarry at Powburn, Regards Larry.

Ogdens had a quarry and tarmac plant on the Via Gelia road in Derbyshire at one time, they ran some Volvo F86 six wheelers and had a garage at Longcliffe. Quarry now closed, Aggregate Industries/Bardon Roadstone owned it at the end.

Pete.

lespullan:
Hi Sturdyman, Just doodling on You Tube found a short video with a photo of a Smith Parkinson & Cole Armstrong-Saurer, from way before my time but interesting, its in [old lorries previously unseen 22 makes of lorry at work 1930s to1970s] youtu.be/e160PxlssrU I found the Albion Reiver on flickr can not be sure of the driver, its not very clear possibly Andy Brown.
Les.

hi lespullan, wow, well spotted! that’s well before my time!! the photo of the reiver on flick r I think was at Bradford university, I had forgotten about andy brown, he was a really nice bloke and drove a 8 wheeler Atkinson with a ■■■■■■■ engine whilst at dennisons. keep the good work up mate!! regards sturdyman.

I remember Ogden’s of Otley, they were in the centre of Otley somewhere when I was growing up in Otley. I remember them having a lot of low loaders.
The other firm I remember is Fred Browns. My uncle married Fred Brown’s daughter and I remember being allowed to have a play in the wagons at his depot out at Riffa the other side of Pool bridge.
Oh, and Jeffries of course. My dad was at school with Reg Jeffries. Not sure what happened to them, they had a big depot on the Guiseley side of Otley until fairly recently.

sturdyman:

lespullan:
Les.

hi lespullan, wow, well spotted! that’s well before my time!! the photo of the reiver on flick r I think was at Bradford university, I had forgotten about andy brown, he was a really nice bloke and drove a 8 wheeler Atkinson with a ■■■■■■■ engine whilst at dennisons. keep the good work up mate!! regards sturdyman.

Hi Sturdyman, Found another, Google, Armstrong Whitworth Record old engine org, click on then scroll to Armstrong menu, I remember the old guys talking of the Saurers, never thought I would see photos of them, they must be from the 1930s.
Les.

Rhythm Thief:
I remember Ogden’s of Otley, they were in the centre of Otley somewhere when I was growing up in Otley. I remember them having a lot of low loaders.
The other firm I remember is Fred Browns. My uncle married Fred Brown’s daughter and I remember being allowed to have a play in the wagons at his depot out at Riffa the other side of Pool bridge.
Oh, and Jeffries of course. My dad was at school with Reg Jeffries. Not sure what happened to them, they had a big depot on the Guiseley side of Otley until fairly recently.

Jeffries are now based in the yard @ Riffa … if I am correct, they had to vacate the yard in the middle of Otley, as it is owned by Leeds City Council, who wanted to sell the site for redevelopment … although I don’t think much has happened to this site since Jeffries moved out ?

The Rustler:

Rhythm Thief:

Jeffries are now based in the yard @ Riffa … if I am correct, they had to vacate the yard in the middle of Otley, as it is owned by Leeds City Council, who wanted to sell the site for redevelopment … although I don’t think much has happened to this site since Jeffries moved out ?

More like the council just didn’t want the lorries in the village anymore.

Jefferies is in riffa with rc cooper.

del949:
you are correct…in part.
the motors had the shield with BFC (british fuel company)in it. BFC were owned at that time by carlton holdings.

AAH_Pharmaceuticals_logo.png

The Shield symbol also known as the Teardrop, was the symbol of A.A.H. Group (Amalgamated Anthracite Holdings PLC).

British Fuel Company was formed out of their purchase of Burnett & Hallamshire Coal Co, E.A. Stevensons, Thomas Black, Rexco, and a few more, with their own coal business.

I was with the British Fuel Company (Sheffield) Ltd. The office was Smithywood House, Smithywood Crescent, (previously Psalter Lane).

But I was based at the Depot, Nunnery Sidings, Bernard Road. I was a Shovel Driver to start with (F.E. Weatherhill 42HD), and then became the Weighman (Sherings 50 Tonne, 50 Foot).

Then AAH Group sold the Coal and Oil business to Redland PLC, who merged us with their Fuel & Oil coal company Cawoods (who has previously bought Peter Slaters).

We all then became British Fuels Limited (BFL), except Northern Ireland who all became Cawoods. We just had to 2 Blowers/Tippers. I became Traffic Clerk, then Transport Supervisor after gaining my CPC.

E.A. Stevensons(Sheffield) (Seddon Atkinson 8x4 400,401,301’s) then came under K+M Nottingham (Foden’s). But no-longer being apart of us, lost their Coal Factor monopoly, so we could use a whole host of local Tipper Hauliers for bulk work.

The Barnsley Pool, B.D.T. (Barnsley and District Transport) made up of,
Colin Vaines
Campbelljohn
E Wright
Majestic
Riley
L Furness (High Green)
S Mappin (Chapeltown)
Butterfield (Wakefield)

And, R.C. Snow (Mexborough), G.D Wragg (Bromley Carr Farm), Charles Braham (Chapeltown), M. Horton (Doncaster), C & D Gill’s (Doncaster), Jakto, R. Hanson’s, M.J. Snow (Doncaster), A Hymas (Harrogate), CJ Holland, BJ Waters, EJ Meeks, E. Schofield (Wakefield) J Cooper (Killamarsh), Loukes (Waleswood), M.J. Rowley, John Owen (Dinnington), Steetley, Danum, Tarmac Owner Drivers, S.J. Barrick (Bulk Powderised coal), T.F. Corner (North East Coke) and Rhymney Traffic Services, (Welsh Anthracite) on the bulk tipping jobs.

Local firm Bedford Steels used us, for the Weighbridge and we had Ernest Thorpe’s (Thurgoland), Barber Road Services, J.J. Shepherd’s, S Harrison, Robert Earl’s, Deepcar, B W Dimmock, Blagdens, Truswell, Marriotts.

Also hops out of the Cannon Brewery (Wm Stones’) by B M Charles (Hope Valley), and Belfield Bros (Leek) out of the Exchange Street Brewery (Whitbread’s). Snowflake (Rotherham), Carryliam, A White, J White, Hague Plant were also major weighbridge users.

The Depot was compulsory purchased for the Sheffield Supertram (Wouldn’t let us have the overhead maglev monorail, no had to take up valuable road space). I spent about 6 months at the office, before moving to Rotherham. Then the whole Sheffield operation was shut down in, July 1992.

The company had been floated off by Redland in a management buyout, in 1991. The terms meant British Coal had to buy us or pay us £ 135 million in compensation. Well that sort of happened instead of becoming the British Coal, retail sales company, the Electricity privatisation and their dash for Gas, put paid to that and killed their bulk business.

So many industrial users also went on to imported Coal because of the price, Coal Singles per tonne £66.50 from Rossington, Doncaster, £30 from Gunness Wharves, near Scunthorpe (Via Antwerp, and Australia).

Besides, anyone from Wragg’s or Braham’s will tell you about the fun and games at Frickley, for British Tissues. “Miner’s buncha C***'s” Mr Wragg always had away with words.

The company went bankrupt 1995, and the remnants merged with CPL, the old NFD that mainly supplied ex miners (actually anyone who worked for the NCB / British Coal) with their house coal.

So they still do pre packed fuel and Liquid heating Oil.
cplindustries.co.uk/content/cpl-distribution

Oh I forgot, this is the image of the Distribution plant, opened 1956ish.

Pulled down, 1981. The Sheffield rates, and most coal traffic coming off the rails due to the cost’s.

There was a plan to use it as a distribution centre for stone out of the Derbyshire Peak District using the railway to Sheffield, but British Rail wouldn’t play fair on the haulage costs. :unamused:

A Railhead is due to be built by the company that’s got the 25 year road maintenance contract for Sheffield’s roads, on part of the old Tinsley Marshalling Yard. (A good idea finally gets built.)