TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

truckerash:
did day work in it with a bulk tipper hauling scrap swarf from Northampton to Sheffield steel works, then ran into Derbyshire to reload lime back to Dunstable.

You probably ran into Totternoe from Staveley Lime Products, later RMC Industrial Minerals at Hindlow then…now on the off chance that any of their hardworking but bland and dirty fleet of powder tankers attracted the attention of your camera, NFA 112P, a B Series ERF would absolutely make my day!

Congratulations on having the foresight to take so many pictures when so many of us did not.

Got to agree with you Ash.
As you know,I have a load of my pics on Ferdy’s Toprun site,and they all have my copyright on them.
When I was asked by a publisher if he could download some of them for his book on the M/E I said of course,no charge as long as you acknowledge who’s pics they are. You can see them in “Baghdad trucker”.
Only this week,Ferdy mailed me to say a German journalist wished to use some of my pics in a German trucking publication.Again I said OK,no charge as long as my copyright is observed.
I don’t want to make money out of my pics,I want to share them with everyone,just as long as they know who went to the trouble of taking the pic in the first place.

Well said truckerash.I,ve just read your last message and completely agree with everything you have said.I also think that you are a wonderful person and a warm human being.Do you have by any chance any photos of Southern Transport and Shipping.(STS) of Southampton?

That’s a great Lynx photo Ash, much better than my night time shot, as for my photo it’s probably packed away as I’m moving to Canada at the end of the month. Hope you got the others I sent you, feel free to post them, sell them or print them in a book ,so long as I get a mention. This thread as brought back so many memories and should have a forum all of it’s own.
Keep up the good work Ash!!

charlie one:
Well said truckerash. I also think that you are a wonderful person and a warm human being.Do you have by any chance any photos of Southern Transport and Shipping.(STS) of Southampton?

Bout time someone agreed with me! :wink: I am a warm human being…wife reckons im cold, specially when i spend ALL night on here looking for photos of STS :wink:

agree with Ash on the permission thing. As Ash knows I have had my pics copied and put onto web sites, ans also given to people along with claim that they took them. well i have the negs, but have had some trouble getting credit on web sites, one has done nothing to rectify problem. however, to give him his due Ferdy instantly credited me with a photo that had made its way onto his site.
nobody has the right to thier image in photo, saw it in a prog once, anyone can take a picture of you and stick it up on a billboard if they choose.
agree with Ash, they are to share, i am only disappointed i cannot scan mine, but with modern technology i know i can now put them on disc, so when thats done will share them accordingly.

Limey:
You probably ran into Totternoe from Staveley Lime Products, later RMC Industrial Minerals at Hindlow then…now on the off chance that any of their hardworking but bland and dirty fleet of powder tankers attracted the attention of your camera, NFA 112P, a B Series ERF would absolutely make my day!

Yes i remember Stavely Lime. and yes it was definately Totternoe. The first time i went in there, i seem to remember there was a big shed that we tipped the trailers inside of. Mine went up then as i pulled forward the load didnt all come out so i had to tip a bit more…then a bit more! Eventually the body was right up and i couldnt get out the shed :blush: Was shoveling for hours :cry:

Your RMC tanker photos will have to wait until I start the UK version of this topic :frowning:
This is International operations and unless your “bland and dirty fleet” went over the water, you are BANNED from here :smiling_imp: :wink:
Nevertheless, i will “have a rumage” in the old shoeboxes for you asap :slight_smile:

Dieselcowboy Send me ALL your pics NOW :wink: ill hav um :smiley:
i know you havnt got time to scan um…you cant have cuz youre “supposedly” working like a DieselDOG on that rock n roll gig!

To all: my earlier comments were not aimed at any one particular web site or person.
Its just a great pity that some “people” feel the need to feed off of other folks interests and make money out of it.
It wouldnt be so bad if they asked to use the photos…
Please can we get back to "truckin in the 80’s natter and put this to bed :wink:

truckerash:

Limey:

Yes i remember Stavely Lime. and yes it was definately Totternoe. The first time i went in there, i seem to remember there was a big shed that we tipped the trailers inside of. Mine went up then as i pulled forward the load didnt all come out so i had to tip a bit more…then a bit more! Eventually the body was right up and i couldnt get out the shed :blush: Was shoveling for hours :cry:

Your RMC tanker photos will have to wait until I start the UK version of this topic :frowning:
This is International operations and unless your “bland and dirty fleet” went over the water, you are BANNED from here :smiling_imp: :wink:
Nevertheless, i will “have a rumage” in the old shoeboxes for you asap :slight_smile:

Oi! As it happens two of Staveley Lime’s S39 8X4 Foden tippers actually went to Germany on three occasions. It was 1972 and they were neither bland nor dirty because they were brand new, well, alright then, maybe they were a little bland :blush:

Well done Ash. Many thanks for the pics of STS.Brought a tear to me eye. The 141 was mine.Did not have all the bits on it when I drove it.I went into hospital to have an op on my leg It had then been given to John Herbert who called himself Misty Blue.I called him Torpedo because when he set off he didn,t stop until he hit something.When you have time perhaps you might have some pics of A S Rawlings. Only a longshot. Thanks again.

Rawlings…? Did you know Joe Olio…?

Yes Harry.I knew Micky Cairns aka Micky Olio.Did you know how he got that name.When he fitst started doing Italy, he knew not a word of Italian so he just added O to the end of every English word eg sandwicho.Very good linguist in the end.Both French and Italien.His English was pretty rubbish.Last I heard he was running a French restuarant inFordingbridge.

truckerash:
[
As a truck photographer for over 30 years, I can assure you guys that i dont need anyones permission to take photos out on the public highways.

Totally agree with your sentiment Ash and about asking permission to use copyright photos, but a small word of warning, there are laws in France restricting taking photos in a public place which is why the paparrazi tread a fine line most of the time. Those that were arrested and charged after Diana’s crash may well have been charged under this law if they had not had ‘failing to help a person in distress’ thrown at them. By the time that charge was dropped any others got lost in the fuss. Such photos admittedly do mostly involve pictures of people, but as most truck photos include people somewhere in them, a case could be made.

I knew his French was excellent.He got his Italian stars when he took his boss to Milan airport & got him on his flight to UK. He told me he put an ‘O’ on everything but he found out afterwards that the whole airport spoke English.

Re Mickey Cairns(Olio) Any idea where he is now? I have been told today on the landline that he is back on the road,However I,m not so sure. He must be knocking on a bit now.

bestbooties:
As you know,I have a load of my pics on Ferdy’s Toprun site,and they all have my copyright on them.
When I was asked by a publisher if he could download some of them for his book on the M/E I said of course,no charge as long as you acknowledge who’s pics they are. You can see them in “Baghdad trucker”.

Ian, was the picture in “Baghdad Trucker” of the red Atki Borderer being dragged out of the ditch one of yours? I did write to them to see if I could get a copy, but had no reply.

240 Gardner:

bestbooties:

Ian, was the picture in “Baghdad Trucker” of the red Atki Borderer being dragged out of the ditch one of yours? I did write to them to see if I could get a copy, but had no reply.

Just checking my copy of “Baghdad trucker” here and there is no acknowledgment to the pic so I can only assume that it’s one of Kevin Noble’s own pics.
I don’t suppose there’s any harm in scanning the pic from the book,as long as it’s for your own consumption,but if you use it in public,it may come to the attention of the originator,and that’s what we’ve been talking about.I don’t know if you can get in touch with Kevin via the publisher if you think you need to.

What a fantastic thread. I have been mesmerised by it for an hour now.
Truckerash - have you any pics of Nicholls Haulage.
They ran red Dafs from Enfield, loading engine blocks at Dagenham and tipping at Fords in Valencia. Also ran to Italy with groupage.
There was Stevie Chester, Alan Colman, Pat Silk, now all deceased and Kenny Pomfrett, Charlie Nunn, Sam ■■
I have only one picture of those happy days and would love to see more.

charlie one I used to deliver into Rawlings a few years ago & they told me he had been working as a mechanic there , I seem to remember.And then he opened the café or vice versa but I never did see him.