TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Some shots of companies on International work from the past, not sure how many of these are still at it, Buzzer.

72428660_136497881051422_1778720702313005056_n.jpg

71698079_136498061051404_2007660077145653248_n.jpg

71571103_136497581051452_1171877660595322880_n.jpg

71491011_136497984384745_2011749066400071680_n.jpg

71478853_136497851051425_8776334897041113088_n.jpg

71380406_136497521051458_1655697797980094464_n.jpg

71310899_134829967884880_7259621506320171008_n.jpg

71198637_134830874551456_1314501206529277952_n.jpg

dieseldog6:
Ash, how about Mark (MR Beast) Goddard, he moved to your area pulled Anglo Overseas to Stuttgart, I’ve known him since about 1973. first Beast was an F12 then Mr Beast F16 then got a FH16.

Yep i know Mark although ive lost touch with him over the last few years :frowning:
He was (still is i guess) a character :wink: used to wear this grusum mask as he was driving along :imp:
ive got a photo somewhere, of his very first truck - an early flat top F12 - then he got this one… the devils in the number plate :smiling_imp:

got some pics of his others too. Have to dig um out and post um up :slight_smile:

Buzzer, think all remain except Mc Burnie and RH, at least the transport side of it. Kent Vale part of EM Rogers but think name still retained. Once we get this Brexit mess sorted hopefully things will return to a more level playing field, we can only hope.

short walk:
Buzzer, think all remain except Mc Burnie and RH, at least the transport side of it. Kent Vale part of EM Rogers but think name still retained. Once we get this Brexit mess sorted hopefully things will return to a more level playing field, we can only hope.

I was about to say the top 5 I see monthly, but the bottom 3 I’ve not see over here in a very long time.
I think the Rennie Hogg group is now part of Kuehne & Nagel.

Ash, how do you do it, If I remember correctly Mark fell out of the cab of that one when it was just 6 weeks old and broke his leg, it really grieved him to have to put a driver on it.

Essex Drivers, this is a long shot but maybe someone can help me with this.
I think it was 1985 I stopped at Charlies? near Lunneville, a regular stop for people running Swiss. I pulled in one Monday about 11am and there was a guy who asked me for help as he was in alot of pain, I got the doctor out to him the doc examined him in the little house behind the cafe, he was then taken straight to hospital. the guy asked me to phone his boss and lock his truck up and where to leave the keys. Which I did.

Now all I know is the guys name was Keith, driving a 112 or 142 and I’m sure it was an Essex company, a few months later I saw this guy by DFS in Dover and although we both caught each others eye, it didn’t click till after who he was. I’ve always wondered what was wrong with him that day.

And in fairness,there was a great fleet of International boys, seen regularly across the water.
Shame.

I did not start european untill 1982,one of the first companies that stuck out was EAST -WEST from Ireland cream and blue ,and the drivers were ok,even to us english. then one of my old nem-e-sis A.C.H.

truckerash:
[ - then he got this one… the devils in the number plate :smiling_imp:

)

But he made up for it with a double tribute to Atkis :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Hi PD, East-West were a great company in the 70’s, I always thought back then that they had a massive fleet until I realised it was mainly the same vehicles going & coming at lightning speeds, I think Montgomery from Glengormley brought them out in the end.

dave docwra:
Hi PD, East-West were a great company in the 70’s, I always thought back then that they had a massive fleet until I realised it was mainly the same vehicles going & coming at lightning speeds, I think Montgomery from Glengormley brought them out in the end.

We used to sub loads to some of the Irish hauliers but as you say a lot of them were lightning quick in fact to fast as the loads we subbed were mostly for RDC’s and on a say two day schedule and could cause major problems for us for trying to deliver a day early, we still work with a few Irish hauliers but they understand the time scales have to be observed, Buzzer.

I think Bowlers are still operating in Basildon. I don’t think they have any trucks. They just do storage. The other firm with blue motors that did the Lisbon job came from Sotton & did the Monsanto job.Their name also began with a ‘B’.

I thought Sea Route Ferry did the Monsanto work.However I expect someone will correct me. They usually do!

Yes DaveDocwra,you are correct i used to think the same lots of lorries ,then it took about a year for me to catch up,DUKES as well Montgomery etc.the now modern driver will have no idea what went on ,and as BUZZER sai8d they had no fear of the FRENCH, Germans, or the Spanish as they had a wedge of cash to pay the fines ,they put us to shame .

The only trouble was the company i worked for, wanted you to do the same [BUT RUN LEAGAL] and would not pay fines,that is when i relised i was in the wrong game[fridgeman] as an employee,however, i had no way to change it [cash wise]so you did it…

.Ralphs lads were the same ,up and back before you had got half way home through France , from a pack house in either Spain or ITALY then i realised they did change overs, they must have doctored all the paper work trailer numbers etc…who knows, do i care, no, not now
So to be honest it was a job ,after the first trip i should have said to my self this is nuts ,but keep on going untill 2002 still never learned

I was with Dukes for a while doing UK work only, crikey could you earn good money back then with them if you knew how to work the system, I have always had respect for a company who I think were based in South East London called Wheatagrove back in the early eighties, their drivers covered some miles in their extended shifts each week & that was just in the UK, Changed days now & maybe for the better!

dave docwra:
I was with Dukes for a while doing UK work only, crikey could you earn good money back then with them if you knew how to work the system, I have always had respect for a company who I think were based in South East London called Wheatagrove back in the early eighties, their drivers covered some miles in their extended shifts each week & that was just in the UK, Changed days now & maybe for the better!

Here you go Dave just a little flashback for you of a Wheatagrove truck always top spec mind probably to appeal to get drivers to do the hours which consisted of a lot of market work. By the way we did a lot of work for Rodanto out of both Spain and Italy back in the day most loads grossly overweight, cheers Buzzer.

JLC00236-18.jpg

dieseldog6:
Essex Drivers, this is a long shot but maybe someone can help me with this.
I think it was 1985 I stopped at Charlies? near Lunneville, a regular stop for people running Swiss. I pulled in one Monday about 11am and there was a guy who asked me for help as he was in alot of pain, I got the doctor out to him the doc examined him in the little house behind the cafe, he was then taken straight to hospital. the guy asked me to phone his boss and lock his truck up and where to leave the keys. Which I did.

Now all I know is the guys name was Keith, driving a 112 or 142 and I’m sure it was an Essex company, a few months later I saw this guy by DFS in Dover and although we both caught each others eye, it didn’t click till after who he was. I’ve always wondered what was wrong with him that day.

Mate: are you havin a larf? :laughing: This is an easy one :wink:
If its the Keith i am thinking of, there was only ever one who was “always” in alot of pain…

well wouldnt you be with that duck stuck on your arm :laughing:

But in all seriousness, if you can remember the colour of the truck, that might help a bit. There were a hell of a lot of firms from Essex with Scanias :confused:

Hey Ash i know Mark Goddard great guy met him about 1984 on the old
Shiaffino boat. did it go from Dartford■■? cant remember see his FH16
now and again and shout him up on the old chicken box but never get a reply
hes wife was quite a stunner as i recall. i know you like a challenge so here is
one for you got any photos of G E FRANCIS transport or TRANS ALPINE EXPRESS T.A.E

Yes Ash, well i did say it was a long shot, aimed at any Essex drivers that may have worked with him and remember the incident.

Ok Ash here’s another one for you, when I used to ship out from Sheerness on a Sunday night, there used to be a company from S/Wales, Altie or Alte Express, yellow trucks with i think a brown stripe, they had Mercs and Scanias plus a 6 legger Crusader with a Detroit in it, Henk drove the Crusader and one of the others was Eric Coventry they ran Germany most of the time I knew them. another one on that crossing was Dave who drove a ■■■■■■ for Versapak out of Dagenham.

Hi Buzzer, Thanks for the picture and as you say they always had top spec stuff working hard on market work.

Cheers Dave.

adr:
These 2 Cavewood Volvo’s are more from the 70s, but could possibly still been running in the 80s if not for Cavewood then someone else! Chris

FPP 713 K waggon N Drag was being driven by Ian Grant who was having a cuppa with me 2 hours ago and he is still driving HGV’s at 74.

Regards
OldishJoda