Truckers Who Run

hedg70:
Why pay to use a gym? Just get some proper gear and do it by yourself, much cheaper you won’t feel like a plonk because people keep looking at you and running in the elements is a lot more better than running on a treadmill, stops the boredom. Also outside you can do it 24hrs a day.
If you worried about safety, just take your phone with you.

AND GET your gait checked and then buy runners to fit OR YOU WILL END UP WITH PLANTAR FACITIS not pleasant

Yeah Gyms are a waste of money and I don’t like the way they look at you when you go in with your steel toe trainers, shorts and Hi viz covered in grease from the fifth wheel. What is wrong with these snobs? :unamused:

Saw an Irish tanker the other day with a push bike strapped to the catwalk :neutral_face:

hedg70:

Adonis.:
Anywhere to stick a pull-up bar on an artic? :laughing:

Use the straps hanging from the roof, Just buy a good pair of gloves,

Find a field near where you parked up and have a little run around it, a few laps dependant on the size, I used to do it in my steel toecap boots, you need to buy some good insoles the extra weight on them dose wonders your your legs and cardio. (I used to do myne on my lunch break before eating)

Also forgot take a solar shower (if in a layby)

Also this is great for resistance work in restricted areas (in cab)

ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Elastic-Yo … 58c8b8d316

It was a standard issue to us in afghanistan when we were sat for over 18hrs in the same place locked in our cab, to pass the time we used it to get Buff :unamused:

Solar shower? That sounds like a godsend, what are they, how they worky?

A workout is easy enough, its the no shower afterwards that worries me.

A.

Adonis.:

hedg70:

Adonis.:
Anywhere to stick a pull-up bar on an artic? :laughing:

Use the straps hanging from the roof, Just buy a good pair of gloves,

Find a field near where you parked up and have a little run around it, a few laps dependant on the size, I used to do it in my steel toecap boots, you need to buy some good insoles the extra weight on them dose wonders your your legs and cardio. (I used to do myne on my lunch break before eating)

Also forgot take a solar shower (if in a layby)

Also this is great for resistance work in restricted areas (in cab)

ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Elastic-Yo … 58c8b8d316

It was a standard issue to us in afghanistan when we were sat for over 18hrs in the same place locked in our cab, to pass the time we used it to get Buff :unamused:

Solar shower? That sounds like a godsend, what are they, how they worky?

A workout is easy enough, its the no shower afterwards that worries me.

A.

You ask a fellow trucker to stand on your trailer in the sun and ■■■■ on you :confused:

ckm1981:
You ask a fellow trucker to stand on your trailer in the sun and ■■■■ on you :confused:

Last time I had to pay for that.

A.

Adonis.:

ckm1981:

A.

Try these then instead…
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PePTfpVsCQM
Avail from eBay,Amazon and alike normally around £20

ckm1981:

Adonis.:

ckm1981:

A.

Try these then instead…
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PePTfpVsCQM
Avail from eBay,Amazon and alike normally around £20

Look good, I’ll pick one up.

One major flaw is they need that ‘sun’ thing to work.

Better than pouring bottles of water over my swede, I suppose.

:laughing:

A.

hedg70:
If you worried about safety, just take your phone with you.

…and wear you’re hi-viz.

A word of warning. I took up running to keep fit. This moved onto fell running. One night I was night running on the hills behind fort William. Pitch black and just a decent head torch. Great way of running. Descending cow hill I was admiring the lights of Corpach reflecting in the bay.

Next thing I’m in free fall. Landed on my knee. After a minute or two I got to my feet but no way of running and walking was sore. Limped the last 2 miles back to the wagon.

Realised I didn’t have my first aid kit in the cab so had a hobble round to morrisons to get some bits and pieces. Back to the wagon to do some cleaning and patching.

Next day was agony but managed to get down to Auchinleck and tip my sawdust before parking up for the weekend.

Once it heeled I tried running again but my leg kept giving way. Turns out I’d damaged something behind my knee cap. Ended up on crutches on and off for a few weeks. Now I’m just getting fatter but my knees aren’t gettingsmashed up!

Apologies if any one is eating. …

And the can of wife beater (Stella) is for what exactly? :open_mouth:

Er it was a cold can so I held it to my sweaty brow

Nice scratch!, Get well soon.

As for the solar shower, if the sun isn’t shining just lay it on your exhaust or somewhere hot, If you get a good one you can almost boil the water in it, sometime’s it was like it was coming strait out of a kettle.

Hi guys.
I thought I’ll add my experience to this thread
For a few years now I’ve been carrying a skipping rope, hoping I have the courage to use it. Nope still haven’t. Recently I’ve been wanting to really go ahead. Stop on a lay by. And just go for it behind the truck on th e kerb.
Any thoughts?
Anyone else does any form of excerise other than running?

HeavyOwl:
Hi guys.
I thought I’ll add my experience to this thread
For a few years now I’ve been carrying a skipping rope, hoping I have the courage to use it. Nope still haven’t. Recently I’ve been wanting to really go ahead. Stop on a lay by. And just go for it behind the truck on th e kerb.
Any thoughts?
Anyone else does any form of excerise other than running?

Skipping is good, Very good! but kills your calf’s you need to stretch off afterwards or you know about it in a painful way.

Also get a sleek looking black one not a 6yr old girls corded one with wooden handles.

I started getting fit in January after losing 4 stone, I joined a gym and have lost a further 2 and a half stone. Now up to 7 miles a day and have signed up to compete in the Great North Run next year. :wink:

hedg70:
Also get a sleek looking black one not a 6yr old girls corded one with wooden handles.

Because that changes everything! :laughing:

But go for it pal, just don’t sing nursery rhymes out loud at the same time. Sing em silently! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

hedg70:

Because that changes everything! :laughing:

But go for it pal, just don’t sing nursery rhymes out loud at the same time. Sing em silently! :wink:

It does actually, the black boxer’s ropes can go much faster than rope er, ropes…

I find ‘The wheels on my truck go round and round…’ a good one to get my rhythm going. That or screaming The Prodigy’s ‘Smack My ■■■■■ Up’ before jumping on the pull-up bar. :laughing:

The skipping is a good idea, I’ll see if I still have ropes and maybe take them with me when I start tramping.

A.

All this talk of a gym, blimey i was looking at doing walking football, well i am 50 but find it hard to make the training night due to being away, i try to do press ups, neck exercise , i work a crane drawbar so i do some climbing, and throw ratchet straps around, i am starting to get a jelly belly, but i blame me missus for that. :smiley:

Immigrant:

truckman020:
not a runner myself but would like to get fit,i would not even know where to start,if I join a gym I could only do weekends due to the hours I work [same as most hgv drivers]

there are 24 hour gyms all over the county

maybe I am just my own worst enemy,i have a nice mountain bike and keep meaning to start using it but never get around to it